mental health and yoga

Options
Anyone have any experience using yoga as a treatment for depression/anxiety? I'm currently on medication, but I am wanting off them and I think yoga may be the way.

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Not personally, but there are sequences for depression. The legend Patrica Walden suffered from depression.
    http://www.yogajournal.com/for_teachers/2426

Hope this helps
  • MonkeeBob
    Options
    I don't even do yoga that much and I have noticed a difference in how I feel. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, that leaned towards depressive episodes a few years ago. I took medication for it for a while and I felt better but got off of them because they didn't agree with my body. (gained like 30 pounds in a month and a half, and my feet were swollen and itchy...weird i know) Anyways I've been off all medication for years but I have noticed that after starting yoga a few months ago I am a lot less "icky" than I used to be. I think that any physical activity is good for the soul though :) See if you feel a difference in a few months then talk to your doctor if you feel good, maybe they could lower your dose at least. Couldn't hurt to try right?? :flowerforyou:
  • Drenie
    Drenie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a yoga instructor, and there are many aspects of a regular practice that can help with feeling of depression, stress, and anxiety. If you are trying to ween yourself off meds, I would highly recommend developing a plan with your therapist. Keep in mind that treatment does not have to be completely western or completely holistic. A combination is a powerful thing! If your therapist does not agree with you coming off of your meds, than maybe discuss how they feel about you lessening your dose and developing a frequent practice. Perhaps doing some research on depression and yoga. The style of Forrest yoga has helped a number of people with depression.
    Personally, in my experience I have found that a regular practice helps me infinitely with any overwhelming feelings that I am experiencing. I was talking with another instructor friend of mine, and we have both felt that we get more therapeutic benefit from yoga than any therapy session we have had.
    but anyways, talk to your therapist, maybe some yoga instructors, and learn more about what you want to do. Take advice from all the professionals you can, and good luck on your journey! :)
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm not a terribly depressive person, but I can certainly tell in the months I've been practicing, I feel better overall: emotionally, physically, and mentally.
    Perhaps it's simply placebo effect. Perhaps it's simply being more physically active all-together. But I tend to think that the tranquility of the practice itself contributes greatly to one's mental health.
  • CatThumbs
    Options
    I started yoga as a way to help with my anxiety and depression! At first it was kinda like a joke. My mom had the book, Richard Hittleman's 28 day yoga exercise plan and I just started it for something to do.
    It is an awesome book that eases you into yoga, and after each session there is a "Thought of the day" page. They are very eye opening and have totally changed my way of thinking about everything from my body image to the way I interact with other people.
    I really love and enjoy yoga now and plan on joining my local studio ASAP. :)
  • Ellieus
    Ellieus Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm also a yoga teacher and would on top of the physical exercises also recommend some light pranayamas (breathing exercises) like anuloma viloma. Once you get the hang of it, you can practise it for some minutes (usually at least 5 to have a notable benefit) or longer.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Just walking into the yoga room relaxes me ...... I "leave my cares at the door" and concentrate on ME for the next hour :happy:
  • asugar
    asugar Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Wondering how it is going with your yoga and weaning off meds? I lead a group for therapy/yoga and it has been amazing the results so far.
  • been2boston
    been2boston Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I definitely find that when I'm regular in my practice, my depression and anxiety are lessened. Personally, I'm on two meds, and have been able to wean off of them for short times in the summers if I'm regular in my practice and other exercise; but in the winter, I need it all- meds, yoga, and therapy. It's just too much. Just getting to the mat is a huge step for me. If you're considering yoga to help with mental health issues, I would encourage you to try it out. There is a book, "Yoga and Depression" I believe it is called, that was interesting. I also practice Forrest Yoga, which is theraputic in nature- it is NOT a replacement for meds or therapy, but an excellent supplement. The creatrix of Forrest Yoga, Ana Forrest, has a book called "Fierce Medicine" that tells her story and more about the development of Forrest Yoga. I actually bought it for my psychiatrist, and we are discussing different aspects of the book and practice and how it may/does help.

Good luck! Namaste!
  • astargirlpower
    Options
    yoga was a big part of me getting of bipolar meds and also getting clean and sober. It is amazing. I have been med free for 7 years. that said... everyone is different and if i was having an episode that i was having trouble responding to, i would go see a doctor.
  • kayakinggrrl
    kayakinggrrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yoga is being used to help people with PTSD, an anxiety disorder.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend is trying to do more yoga to help with her depression and anxiety. I'm not sure that it's working, but she might not be doing it often enough.
  • oakfruit
    oakfruit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    In my own experience, yoga was only helpful for me once I'd been treated medically/psychiatrically. Once I was in the right state of mind, I found yoga to be great at sustaining my recovery - but I could never have gotten to this point without medications (which I am still on, years later).
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    yoga helps me tremendously with my own battle with depression/anxiety/slight bipolar.

I was on meds myself on and off for a few years, but I've found that i feel more - balanced - with regular yoga classes and keeping up a regular running schedule.

I was actually just talking to my sister about how, although I am not taking any medications, I have found that I feel even more balanced and happier and level without the meds as long as I get my morning run in and/or a solid yoga class.

It would be interesting to study how regular exercise (and specifically pretty rigorous cardio) can bio-chemically help keep a person battling with mental health more balanced vs. what meds do..
  • AmyBoogie
    AmyBoogie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few studies and articles to be found about exercise easing symptoms of depression. If you google "Depression Exercise" you'll see a ton of articles. Including the Mayo one here: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depression-and-exercise/MH00043

So if you look at yoga purely as an exercise, it can only be thought to be a benefit. Yoga also has a spirituality aspect that one can choose to participate in or not. That too has proven to be beneficial in practice to help with depression. Jim Carrey talking about such: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfWN5EW5eo4 - Although his isn't on yoga it is in general about depression and spirituality.

IMO. If your doctor won't even discuss with you the options of possibly reducing or getting off meds its time to talk to a new doctor. Not all people will be able to get off and no one should quit meds without a doctor's supervision because the chemicals in those meds aren't good at all to go cold turkey on. But a doctor should be wiling to help you improve your life in the hopes that you can lessen or remove the pills.
  • amcoltlghgirl
    Options
    I have anxiety, and yoga really helps me. It calms me down. I center myself with it. Yoga is also a good way to lose weight too. I really recommend it.