Out of curiosity, why could this be?

Options
sscad
sscad Posts: 73 Member
So after days of fiddling around and doing this and that measurements and calculations, I've finally got situated on a goal calorie intake of 1600 calories (20% deficit of my TDEE - approx. 2000 with moderate activity level). However, these past two days I've lost more weight than I have during the past week by actually going over my calorie limit (I ate 1800 Monday, 1900 yesterday). I wasn't intending to go over, my priority at the time had just been to reach my protein goal.

Although I'm more than happy about this:bigsmile: , I was still curious as to why this is happening. Could my TDEE be higher? I set my activity level to moderate because I work out 5 days/wk and rest on the weekends for the most part (30mins of weight training M-F and 60mins of walking/jogging Tuesdays and Thursday). Is it too early to tell anything? Could this just be some form of losing water weight perhaps (although I try to stick to a whole foods diet, my diet this past weekend wasn't entirely the best- largely because I didn't get as much protein- but I did stick to my calorie goal, which was 1500 at the time). Is it just coincidence or pure luck? I just wanted to make sure I'm on the right track!

For all you who'd go to the extent of recalculating my BMR/TDEE- I'm 23, 5'4'', 120.

Thank you!

PS: I really should just get a HRM. Any suggestions that favor both quality AND price :wink: ?

Replies

• wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but @ 120lbs I'd say a 20% deficit is way too large.

It may be that your TDEE is right but you were trying to work with too large a deficit.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm not expert either, but definitely too high of a cut. I'm 5'4", 147, and 40 years old, and only do a 10% cut because I don't want to lose muscle.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    If you are close to gal, your cut should be around 10%.
    Possible also that your TDEE is higher than you expected and proof, that you have to eat more, if you want to lose :))
    Happy eating!
  • sscad
    sscad Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks for you help
  • BlondieBride
    BlondieBride Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I had this problem a few weeks ago, then I bought a fitbit which showed my TDEE was actually around 2600 not 2200 like the calculators said. I also upped my calories and the weight has started coming off again.
  • wa_tracy
    wa_tracy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I agree with the cut being too much. I tried a 20% cut and found that I was way more successful and it would be more withstanding on a 15% cute.