Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Best lunch boxes

Merci444
Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
I am looking around for a really good, plastic free, eco friendly lunchbox to use that will keep my food cool. I have looked at a few and am wondering which ones you like and why before I make a decision because they are pricey!

Replies

• SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    I've been looking for the same and lately I've been leaning towards Lunch Bots after seeing them on nomnompaleo

Grr it posted before I could say why haha! I like how the lunch Bots have removable dividers so you can customize them to your meal, and how you can easily buy spare lids (I haven't easily found spare lid sets for other containers I've looked at). Plus the insulated ones look amazing and I haven't really seen that in other containers.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    I love www.planetbox.com

[ img ] http://www.planetbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Launch-Plus-309x250.png [ /img ]

It's stainless steel. No plastic. One piece that goes in the diswasher. You can buy the "system" that has little tins for dips, sauces, or wet stuff. It comes with cool magnets for the kids. Ensures portion control.

They have 2 versions.... the Launch and the Rover. I bought the Launch before the Rover existed. Rover is maybe better for adults, but I kind of like the Launch. I like having multiple small sections because then I can pack a bunch of little different things.

www.lunchbots.com is another option. I don't have any of these, but I think I'll get some at some point.

edited to say that I can't figure out how to make that image appear, but you can follow the link.

edited again to say that one of the reasons I like the planetbox over lunchbots is that you don't have to worry about lids! Thanks for reminding me, SweetX
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Now that I look at the lunch Bots again, the dividers aren't removable. Who the heck made the removable ones I saw lol?! The search is back on
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    I use BPA free plastic boxes that I got on Woot in an insulated bag from World Market ($10 and it's HUGE so I can fit lots of random stuff in there). I also have a large collection of Pyrex in varying sizes that works better for chilis and liquidy food. None of it's cute, but it's totally functional.

http://home.woot.com/offers/lock-and-lock-airtight-bpa-free-32-piece-set (not for sale, but a frequent Woot-off item)

I have two of the Lock & Lock sets and I love the little containers for dressings and stuff. I use jam jars for larger liquid quantities that will be poured (like when I made coconut creamer for the husband).
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Now that I look at the lunch Bots again, the dividers aren't removable. Who the heck made the removable ones I saw lol?! The search is back on

Steeltainer? http://www.steeltainer.com/
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Me likes those steeltainers.
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    I really like the Planetbox Launch! I bookmarked it for later, not to look at the others! Thanks :)
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    As much as I like the Planetbox and lunchbots, I just don't think stainless steel lunch sets are very practical for me. My lunches are usually leftovers from the night before and there's usually at least one piece to be re-heated at work so stainless steel just won't work. I don't want to have to dirty a dish at work just to re-heat something, then have to clean the dish and the lunch box. I actually don't really like separated compartments either, because sometimes it just doesn't fit my lunch! I like being able to pick sizes that work for my meal that day instead of trying to plan things that will fit in each compartment.

I really like the Pyrex (or Pyrex-style) glass containers. Safer than plastic, heavy duty, can be put in the dishwasher, oven or microwave. They are a little more costly so I pick up a set or a few pieces when I see them on sale. They go in an insulated lunch bag and it works just fine.

So it's something to keep in mind, it all depends on the types of food you regularly bring for lunch I think!
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    The larger Planetbox (the Launch system) has a space for a tempered glass container that Planetbox also sells. http://www.planetbox.com/shop/product-category/lunchboxes/launch

Launch-Plus-309x250.png
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Awesome, I did not know that Thanks Tabbychiro!
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    I guess I'm a little budget as I just have a few glass pyrex type containers with lids that fit tightly. I usually just fill one, pop an ice pack on top and wrap the whole lot in a tea towel. My lunch sits in a hot car for nearly 6 hours before I get to it but it's always well chilled.