new day and a new dilemma

Options
2»

Replies

• jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I'd say it was too early to be putting the relationship under such scrutiny. Just go out on some dates. get to know him better and see how it feels.

Money isn't everything and just because you earn more than him doesn't automatically mean he will want to sponge of you! You don't have to have a joint bank account to go on some dates!

Enjoy and have fun, go with the flow and see what happens.

I totally agree but HE's pushing for a commitment after 2 dates. I don't bring up any of these things but if a guy is asking me to commit to being with him and not date anyone else, then I do have to look more closely.

Personal experience here. If he is pushing you to commit to exclusiveness BF/GF status in 2 dates RUN. you know practicaly nothing about this guy(I'm assuming he was an online or blind datea).. Often when one person is pushing another into relationship status super fast something is fishy. My ex and I became BF/GF within a week of dating. @ weeks later he was living with me (I Know I know I was young and dumb) the man couldnt keep a job and I ended up supporting him for almost 5 yrs before I simply could not handle everything anymore. It really creeps me out that he is pushing you that fast
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I'm already pretty sure of what the answer is but I thought I'd give you a chance to weigh in. :flowerforyou:

Good attorneys don't ask questions if they don't know the answer ahead of time.

I heard that law school teaches attorneys to ask questions that they already know the answers to.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I would never consider someone who has a hint of being financially irresponsible. I don't care if that makes me inflexible - I watch too much Suze Orman to be too unaware of the need to protect my own financial future, because you can't rely on some new person to do it for you.

I really think this is not about the guy being early into a business that could succeed or fail - it's about his attitude toward work and money. They just don't sound realistic and responsible, from the little that you wrote here. I won't sign up for a relationship with someone who is giving off an air of future bankruptcy or laziness about working.

Sorry Mellie, not sure how you're reading bankruptcy or laziness into this guy??

I've had serveral businesses in my life. Doesnt mean I was ever bankrupt or lazy. Some were a success, some were not!

If you mean you prefer a guy who has a stable job 9-5 job with a secure income, then yeah, you might be disappointed in an entrepreneur. Self employed people's salary can be sporadic and unpredictable. But people that have business ideas and try new concepts with the wish to earn lots and work less, aren't bone idle! More, highly practical, ambitious and sensible!! :flowerforyou:
    I wasn't meaning to say that he IS giving off this vibe (bankruptcy or laziness) because there is just too little for us to go on here, but I was stating it more that if I got any inkling of that early on, I would bail. It's only two dates and there are other fish in the sea.

On that note...
    That was my intention until he pushed the issue. He's ready to be serious after 2 dates! I told him I'm still getting to know him and to figure things out. He wants me to commit to being exclusive with him and I told him I just couldn't do that at this point. He wants to resolve all of my concerns and issues so I can commit to being serious and I keep trying to tell him that it's not that simple.
    ... if he wants to be so serious so fast and to resolve all of the OP's concerns, why won't he share with her the name of this "top name" company?
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I'd say it was too early to be putting the relationship under such scrutiny. Just go out on some dates. get to know him better and see how it feels.

Money isn't everything and just because you earn more than him doesn't automatically mean he will want to sponge of you! You don't have to have a joint bank account to go on some dates!

Enjoy and have fun, go with the flow and see what happens.

I totally agree but HE's pushing for a commitment after 2 dates. I don't bring up any of these things but if a guy is asking me to commit to being with him and not date anyone else, then I do have to look more closely.

So, have you Googled him yet?
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    He seems to believe he can build his business up to a 7 figure business while working only 6 hours a day.
    Red flag!! someone can conceivably run a 7 figure business once established, but I've rarely come across anyone who says they can build a business like this that is ever successful. They typically go from business to business and never find the "right one." Since I've done real estate on the side since 2007 I've met a LOT of people who went from nothing to 7 figures, but they ALL put in long hours and a LOT of work. The ones who thought they'd get rich quick spent a lot of money guying the "next great course" but it never "worked for" them.

Geez, he's not asking you to support him already is he? Date him a bit and see if you like him outside of the business stuff. If he never gets his act together then never be serious with him. But things might actually pick up and he might actually know what he is doing. In the meantime what it gonna hurt? A few dates?

That was my intention until he pushed the issue. He's ready to be serious after 2 dates! I told him I'm still getting to know him and to figure things out. He wants me to commit to being exclusive with him and I told him I just couldn't do that at this point. He wants to resolve all of my concerns and issues so I can commit to being serious and I keep trying to tell him that it's not that simple.

Yikes. I would be very uncomfortable with this!
  • Jarnard
    Jarnard Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I think you have to find a guy that is capable of supporting the lifestyle that you desire. I think a person who makes $50,000 a year is a decent salary if all he has is rent, car payment, and a few bills. My opinion of course.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It's too early to tell. I see potential red flags, but there is way more to this.

If he's a minimal type of guy that doesn’t expect you to support him, it shouldn’t be an issue so long as he’s self-sufficient. You say you can’t see yourself in for 60-70%...well, 60% is barely more than half, so you pretty much just admitted indirectly that you need someone that makes very close to what you make so they can pay for their “half”.

As for being exclusive, that isn’t terribly unreasonable, but I guess I’d need to know more. A girl I dated recently, we both wanted to be exclusive a little early on, although we didn’t want to rush into anything, we didn’t want to juggle dating other people and wanted to give “us” a genuine try. This is always different from pairing to pairing. He could come off creepy/clingy, or maybe he just sincerely likes you and wants to focus his attention on you. One side is bad, the other is something I would welcome from a potential partner….listen to your gut. If you are getting a bad vide, your instincts are probably right! Don’t let romantic notions blind your intuition.