New to this....questions?

Options
thr33martins
thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
So, I am REALLY new to this low-carb thing - like 2 days new - and I have been overeating bread/crackers/chips for quite a while (comfort during a stressful relocation over the last year) so the change to low carb is dramatic.

I love the food - I am definitely feeling full at the end of the day - and so far I am really happy with the prospects of this plan.

But I am getting headaches, and felt really weak (rubbery, lightheaded) during my workout this morning. I am not new at all to working out - I have been teaching Jazzercise for 7 1/2 years. So this was a new sensation for me. It has to be the carbs, right? Is there such a thing as carb-withdrawal?

Replies

• doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is such a thing. Give it a few more days and it should get much better. I've heard that for some, it can take a week or even two.
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes. You may be in for a big shock. I wasnt able to 'work out' at my normal level for weeks. Depending on how reliant your body is for carbs for energy, you may struggle. As your body uses up all the easy glucose in your muscles, it's going to scream for more. Look up carb flu. I got light headed, dizzy, weak, hot, exhausted, energized....all of it, for the first 2 weeks until my body adapted. Now I'm a fat burning machine...and it's good....
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    OK, that makes me feel better - I am not too psyched for the next several days (I teach a double tomorrow...ugh!), but the line "fat burning machine" will totally keep me in the game!!

Thanks so much for the feedback and motivation!!
  • siblita
    siblita Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    In the first few weeks of starting a low carb diet, it is really important to get enough sodium. During these weeks, the body is shedding sodium, so you can get tired, feel like you are about to pass out, get muscle cramps if your sodium level is too low.

A great book to get if you want to do low carb the right way is "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Phinney and Volek. It talks about why low carb works and how to avoid common mistakes. (have it on my Kindle and "real" version!)

They recommend having a couple cups of chicken bouillon broth to keep sodium levels up.
  • kaylinn9
    kaylinn9 Posts: 112
    Options
    It takes 3-6 weeks for your body to change. Wait out this long before judging and making changes to your diet plans.

If you're dizzy when working out, that could mean a drop in blood sugar. Make sure you're eating a healthy breakfast and drinking tons of water.