low carb crockpot recipes

Options
I would love to here everyone's favorite low carb crockpot recipe. I am currently in the Atkins Induction stage so the lower the net carbs the better. Needing some variety....

Replies

• ixchel78
    ixchel78 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Here are a few of my favorite crock pot recipes. I'm not on Atkins, but I'm low carb so you may need to modify the recipes a little to meet the Atkins restrictions.

Hungarian Beef:
    One of my favs Hungarian Beef: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2008/12/crockpot-recipe-for-hungarian-pot-roast.html
    That website has a lot of great recipes. This recipe has sour cream which I don't think you can do on Atkins, but it would still be tasty minus the sour cream.

BBQ Pulled Pork:

I also do a BBQ pork ribs but this would work with chicken or any cut of pork. I take pork spareribs (they are forever on sale at my grocery store) and broil them first to get a little char, then drop them in my crock pot. For the sauce, I mix one can of tomato sauce, 2 packets of splenda, 3 TBS of Dijon Mustard, 3 TBS of Worchester Sauce and 2 TBS of Apple Cider Vinegar, mix and pour over the ribs. A 2 TBS serving of this sauce is around 3 carbs with the ingredients I use, however be sure you make your own recipe in MFP so it reflects the actual ingredients you use. It's amazing tasting. Cook on low for 8-10 hours until ribs fall apart. I also take the extra step of letting the ribs cool a bit and pulling the lean meat from the rest so it turns into more of a pulled pork. It freezes great. 1 crock of this easily means 3 meals for my boyfriend and I, and I pair it with some low carb coleslaw I make too. Great for a bbq fix!

Teriyaki Chicken:
    My other standby is to get the cut up fryer pack of breasts and thighs at the supermarket when it's on sale. Then I take about 3 of the wing/thigh sections and de-skin. Toss in the crock pot. For the sauce I use about 1/2 cup of low sodium soy, a couple packs of splenda for sweetness, about a TBS of fresh grated ginger and a dash or two of Mirin. It's sort of a homemade teriyaki. The sauce is pretty thin, so make sure you baste the chicken a few times during the cooking. 3-4 hours is usually plenty. Great with any veggie for a side dish or some edamame for an extra protein fix!
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    how about a whole chicken..organic of course!
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    There arent a lot of things you can do in the crock pot in the induction stage. Beef, pork, chicken.....and frankly, the spices you might want to add will add carbs to what should be your carb free options in induction...your meat. In the induction phase you want to get ALL your carbs from your veggies...and maybe some eggs and cheese. I wouldnt waste them on seasonings. Induction is just boring.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    There arent a lot of things you can do in the crock pot in the induction stage. Beef, pork, chicken.....and frankly, the spices you might want to add will add carbs to what should be your carb free options in induction...your meat. In the induction phase you want to get ALL your carbs from your veggies...and maybe some eggs and cheese. I wouldnt waste them on seasonings. Induction is just boring.

Thats not true at all.

There are a plethora of induction-related recipes (the easiest guide can be under Primal or Paleo). The vegetables found in Atkins Phase I are a mirror of what Paleo and Primal also have.

There are many European, Indian, Taiwanese, Cantonese, Czech, Canadian right off the top of my head that are definitely Atkins-friendly. There is a traditional Cantonese stew made with fatty beef, baby bok choy, onions, gahhhhlic, chili pepper (opt) in a very rich hearty beef broth, with fresh herbs and spices. There is another dish of Mandarin origin that uses fresh flounder, ginger, scallions, garlic, a variety of shredded vegetables (mind you Atkins/Paleo and Primal friendly), in a succulent seafood stock.

For diversity, a great website would be www.recipesource.com. Paleo and Primal have their own recipe sites - google turned up TONS of them.

Just pop up google - it will turn up millions of websites for you!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Here is a list of extreme low carb herbs and spices taken from http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips009.html

These are on average.

You can also use calorieking.com to look up the spices you might have in your spice cabinet as well.
    The only way induction is boring is if you dont put forth the effort into the research that is needed.

herbs - most green herbs from the leaf (basil, mint, oregano, tarragon, etc....) are less than 1 gm per tsp dried, or 2 Tbsp of the chopped fresh herb

spices - from the dried root, seed or bark (cinammon, ginger, coriander, cumin, black pepper, cloves, etc....) are 1 gm per tsp of the ground spice

blended spices, such as curry powder, chili powder, Chinese 5-spice, garam masala, pie spice, etc - have 1 gm per tsp
    vanilla, and other flavour extracts (almond, orange, etc) - 0.5 gm per tsp

garlic, fresh , 1 large clove or 1 tsp minced - 1.0 gm; garlic powder, 1 tsp - 2.3 gm
    ginger root, fresh - 1 Tbsp grated has 1 gm carb

vinegar - most vinegars are zero carb - white, cider and wine; balsamic vinegar is 2.0 gm per Tbsp

hot sauces - most hot pepper sauces are zero (Tabasco, Red Hot), but beware some varieties such as Jamaican, Trinidad and Cajum style have sugar added. Read label carefully.
    bouillon cubes and powders - most commercially available products contain sugar and/or corn syrup. Check the label. One packet or 1/2 cube = 1 carb gm

lemon and lime juice, fresh or bottled, 1 Tbsp = 1.0 gm; dried grated rind, 1 tsp = 1.0 gm

soy sauce - 0.5 gm per tsp

mustard - most plain and dijon prepared mustards are less than 0.5 carb per tsp; beware "honey" varieties, and Russian

sweet mustard at 2.0 gm per tsp

mayonnaise - most regular real mayonnaise is less than 0.5 gm per Tbsp. Beware the light mayo - 1.0 gm per Tbsp and ultra-low fat at 3.0 to 4.0 gm per Tbsp
  • Zaphyre13
    Zaphyre13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My fav all time slow cooker recipe!!!! It's like a really hearty soup. I serve with rice on the side for
    non low carbers.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/colleens-slow-cooker-jambalaya/