Low Carb Road Block

Options
PicNic00
PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
I've been losing pretty steady for about 4 months... and for the past 3 weeks or so I've been hovering around the same 2-3 pounds. I haven't changed my routine at all..... How can I break this?

Anyone ?

Replies

• zynx1234
    zynx1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have no clue. But hopefully some one will answer soon.
  • samko1976
    samko1976 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi zynx and picnic,
    More information is needed before people can give any advice e.g. which type of low carb diet are you doing Atkins, Paleo, South Beach or something else, what are your macro goals and, most importantly what is your maximum amount of carbs that you want to consume a day?
    Are you both trying to do induction?

p.s. zynx I can see your diary (sorry sounds well creepy :flowerforyou: ) so can make suggestions in private or on this thread-What would you prefer?
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    How are the measurements? Clothes fitting better?
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm on Atkins....
    @ DeadVim I'm actually down another pant size this week.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I'm on Atkins....
    @ DeadVim I'm actually down another pant size this week.

That's all you need to know, it's just a change in body composition (maybe some water weight, poop, natural variance), for the better :) Lose some fat, gain some muscle, it's all good.

I stopped weighing myself months ago, when the jiggly bits don't jiggle I'll hop on for reference.
  • zynx1234
    zynx1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi zynx and picnic,
    More information is needed before people can give any advice e.g. which type of low carb diet are you doing Atkins, Paleo, South Beach or something else, what are your macro goals and, most importantly what is your maximum amount of carbs that you want to consume a day?
    Are you both trying to do induction?

p.s. zynx I can see your diary (sorry sounds well creepy :flowerforyou: ) so can make suggestions in private or on this thread-What would you prefer?

Publicly is better. Not only will it help me but maybe there is someone like me going through the same thing.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    While it's frustrating as hell, you're probably fine. I'm having similar issues and actually haven't lost anything since November of last year. Everything is tightening up, clothes fit better, and people seem to think that I look thinner.

This also happened (though not for such a long time) when I did Atkins originally back in 2003. I'd stall out weight loss wise for several weeks, though my clothes got looser, and then all of a sudden overnight I'd lose as much as 5-7lbs!

Either way, keep at it. It's working, it's just that the scale isn't always the best indicator of progress.
  • Nancy_AZ60
    Nancy_AZ60 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think your body is just taking a break. You look good, your skin has good color, it is tight you look 5 years younger. Just relax !! You are doing great
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You need to carb-cycle. Jolt your metabolism by eating VERY HIGH CARBS for 1 day and then resume dieting. Works every time.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    i tend to lose in bursts too. Keep at it!
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You need to carb-cycle. Jolt your metabolism by eating VERY HIGH CARBS for 1 day and then resume dieting. Works every time.

This happened to me when I did a cheat day about 2 months ago!! crazy!
  • aallegri
    Options
    I hope you guys are right! I lost steadily for 2 months then stalled for a week. Today I'm having a carb cheat day -- I did 100 carbs, and I hit the gym big time.

I may do another tomorrow.

Then I'm going back on low carb. Let's see if I shock my body into shape.

Good luck, all...
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I lose weight in wooshes. I'll juggle the same 2-3 pounds for a week or 2 then 5 come off and stay off. I did stop for a few weeks one time....I cut out nuts, increased my fat intake, limited dairy, lowered my calories to mfp's bmr suggestion, and exercised more. That will get you going. If you work out daily, try taking a break. I also did a 4 day 'cheat' recently....a planned vacation from low carb. I gained 5 pounds....then I wooshed off 11...no kidding...11.
  • ander217
    Options
    I started Atkins in Jan 2011 and lost over 50 lbs. Then a year ago I stalled big-time. I lost nothing for nearly a year - gained and lost the same five pounds over and over. I tried all the recommendations but nothing worked for me. I tried a cheat day on vacation - gained five pounds but did not have the big loss afterwards that others report. I'm a grandmother with thyroid issues, a chronic illness, and I take b/p meds which all make me a slow-loser anyway. I didn't give up but I was getting very frustrated, especially since my DH lost 60 lbs. in six months and maintained it the entire time I was stalled. (I was proud of him, but we ate the same things basically, so that doubled my frustration that he reached his goal and I didn't.)

Then I did a Whole30, cutting out all dairy, legumes, and artificial sweeteners, and that did the trick. I lost five pounds during that month and I'm still losing, although it is going slowly again. I've now switched to a paleo/primal lifestyle and I'm feeling great. Others tell me I look thinner, and suddenly I notice I've dropped another clothing size. For me, I think it was cutting out the sweeteners and dairy that did the trick. I tried adding back dairy but I gained four pounds in a week. I stopped dairy again. and I've lost three of those pounds. I've permanently switched to coconut milk in my morning coffee now and find it's not nearly as hard to live without cheese as I thought it would be. Also, since I'm feeling better I've started walking every day which helps.

After being on Atkins for so long, the paleo diet is a nice change. Although I've given up dairy and sweeteners, I've added many fruits and veggies that weren't allowed on Atkins. It's really nice being able to eat a few apples, raisins, winter squash, and sweet potatoes at this time of year. I replaced the artificial sweeteners with a few dates or raisins when I just had to have a sweet fix, and I find they seemed to satisfy me much better and I seldom want sweets now.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I've been losing pretty steady for about 4 months... and for the past 3 weeks or so I've been hovering around the same 2-3 pounds. I haven't changed my routine at all..... How can I break this?

Anyone ?

Could you open your food diary so we can get a better picture?