What are your target calories set to?

Options
ezavora
ezavora Posts: 59 Member
Do you set your calories to your TDEE or cut amount? Maybe your BMR? What about exercise? Do you include it in your goals profile and log it?

I jumped on the EMTWL bandwagon several weeks ago and set my calories to my cut TDEE and have not been logging exercise. My exercise goals are listed as zero since they are already figured in to my cut from TDEE number.

Using an average of multiple calculators my BMR is1450, and my TDEE is 2100, based on a moderate activity level. Im using a 20% cut and shooting for 1750 calories a day. Im 4'4.5", 145lbs, 23%BF, 41 years old. I would like to loose 10-15 more pounds. I lift weights, HIIT, and run,swim or yoga, 5-6 days week, 30-60 min. per workout.

The issue I see with setting it up like this as that at the end of the day when I close my diary it's telling me I will weight 145 (or in that ballpark) in 5 weeks. AARRGGHH. I weigh that now. Have I set it up wrong? Should I be logging my exercise? Im thinking it saying that just because of how I set it up? FYI, I have lost 1.5 pounds over 3 weeks and figure I will only be loosing .5 pound a week.

Im curious to know how everyone else has theirs set up.

Replies

• greedygirl118
    Options
    MFP thinks you're on maintenance or thereabouts because of the number of calories you're consuming. I don't think there's any way round that - you just have to ignore the message!
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 2000 calories and log my exercise as 1 just to keep track of the minutes. Mine always tells me I'll either maintain or gain. I just ignore it.
  • sscad
    sscad Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I used to have mine set at TDEE cut amount MINUS about 200 cals so that I could log in/eat back my exercise. Some part of me wanted to hold on to the ability to track calories burned through working out SO BAD. Although that method has not necessarily NOT working, I still thought it would be more accurate to just set it at my TDEE cut amount and try to be content with just logging my exercise in my notes, we'll see how this goes!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at my cut number that I sort of generated from my FitBit and calculators.. then I log exercise and if I go below my BMR, I eat up to that... its kind of a strange way of doing it but seems to be working.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1760 and my TDEE is 24200, so I have been eating 1800 calories on most days. I do log my exercise though and sometimes I eat back some of my exercise calories. However, I do not exercise every day. On my rest days, I often only eat 1500 or 1600, so it ends up evening out at the end of the week. I wonder if my TDEE is figured correctly, or what. When I click the button, MFP tells me that I will be 220 in 5 weeks on days that I eat right at 1800. So far, I have been averaging 2 pounds per week, so I can't complain yet.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    If you don't hit that "finish" button for your diary every day you won't get that annoying message. Just a thought.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I set MFP at my Sedentary TDEE less 15%. Then eat back all of my exercise calories tracked with a HRM. I find that I'm more motivated to exercise if I can 'eat more' by working hard. :)

I ignore the message too...
  • cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I set mine to my TDEE - 15% cut. My activity is set to lightly active and my TDEE is 1893, my cut puts it down to 1609. My fitbit is set to lightly active also and sends me an exercise adjustment if I burn over and beyond my TDEE. Right now anything over 233 adjustment I eat (which keeps my net calories just above my BMR. Sounds complicated but once I read through the sticky bulletins here it all clicked.

I walk for exercise right now because the weather is so nice and I'm plagued with arthritis. I'm motivated to walk at lunch and after work so I can eat more :-)
  • ezavora
    ezavora Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used to have mine set at TDEE cut amount MINUS about 200 cals so that I could log in/eat back my exercise. Some part of me wanted to hold on to the ability to track calories burned through working out SO BAD. Although that method has not necessarily NOT working, I still thought it would be more accurate to just set it at my TDEE cut amount and try to be content with just logging my exercise in my notes, we'll see how this goes!

I am right there with you on wanting to log the exercise calories. I just got a HRM and now know what Im burning and feel I want "credit" for it. I have been doing what you are now doing, set to cut TDEE and not logging exercise. I guess Im not content with it since I keep seeing that I will weight the same in 5 weeks. I know it cant be true, but its still a bummer. Its so much more motivating to log in exercise. I want to go back to logging exercise, I posted this in hopes to find out the best way.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 1800 but I eat some of my exercise calories. If I am truly hungry I eat more. Usually MFP will say I will lose in 5 weeks and I finally lose closer to what it says I will in that I am losing slowly but consistently. Every once in a while it will say I will gain but I think we need days like that too.
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you on wanting to log the exercise calories. I just got a HRM and now know what Im burning and feel I want "credit" for it. I have been doing what you are now doing, set to cut TDEE and not logging exercise. I guess Im not content with it since I keep seeing that I will weight the same in 5 weeks. I know it cant be true, but its still a bummer. Its so much more motivating to log in exercise. I want to go back to logging exercise, I posted this in hopes to find out the best way.

But if you know it's not true, why do you still let it affect you? MFP calculates in a totally different way. It thinks that if you don't have a calorie deficit, you're not losing weight. However your deficit has already been calculated for you in your cut number. So it really really doesn't matter what MFP says, I promise!!

You can turn off the "complete this diary" setting and you won't get the message.

And if you're really desperate to log your exercise calories, you could put them in at the very, very end of the day after you've finished eating, so they don't affect your calorie target whilst you're still trying to hit it. I do that while on cut, on the off chance that I haven't netted BMR and need to eat a little more before bed.

At the moment I'm eating at maintenance, so I still log my exercise, but use a calorie burn value of 1 and then just put the real burn in the notes section, so that's an alternative too.

A lot of this journey is mental... the EM2WL philosophy changes a lot of our long-time beliefs about "dieting". We work on our bodies but we work on the mental stuff too so numbers don't bother us, unfortunately this includes the dreaded scale :wink:
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I am at TDEE minus 10% which is 1730 for my calorie goal. I log my exercise minutes and input the calories as 1. I am steadily losing the chunk of of my middle and thighs lol, not much weight, though. I never close out my diary at the end of the day so I could care less what MFP says I will weigh.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have mine set up in, quite possibly, the most confusing way ever. Lol. I'll try to explain:

First I calculated my TDEE on three different sites for two different activity levels one for day's that I work and one for my days off.
    Then I took the SMALLEST number, which for me is 1800 (day off) and set that as my calorie goal.
    On days that I work, I wear my HRM and at the end of my shift I take that number, cut it in half (because HRM are not meant for when you're not actually exercising, so the full number is probably no where near accurate) then I log those calories as exercise.
    This usually brings me up to about 2100/day.....which is very close to the TDEE I got on all three sites for days that I work.
    I then eat back my calories and call it a day. Lol.

So for days that I don't work, 1800 is my TDEE.....but I just toss in a really good cleaning day at the house and still eat 2100 lol.

Now I haven't been doing this for long at all (only since this Sunday haha!) but on Sunday I weighed 149.7 and this morning I weigh 147.2.....so I must be doing something right. Lol. I'm going to keep this up for two weeks and see what the results are and modify from there if I need to.

Also, I don't complete my diary ever as MFP figures my maintenance calories are 1750....so MFP would very likely tell me that I would gain in five weeks. I don't know about you, but that's not a message I'm interested in hearing at the end of every day! Haha!

I should also mention, that since so far I'm losing weight quite quickly, at the end of my two week experiment I may actually increase my intake to 2200-2300, because I may have calculated my TDEE wrong (judging by how quickly the scale is dipping and since I'm technically eating AT my TDEE I shouldn't be losing weight at all lol) but we'll see. So far I feel pretty great eating 2100 calories a day. :)
  • trkinsley
    trkinsley Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm at TDEE -10%, so 2175. If I exercise my way below my BMR, I'll make up the calories. That rarely happens, because I only subtract the exercise that I use my HRM for--my long walks are almost never factored in.
  • hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    Options
    My MFP is set up at 'Maintenance' for lightly active. So basically my TDEE. My Fitbit does all the adjustments to make sure it is my correct TDEE each day (more like extremely crazily active -- average about 2800 at the moment).

What I do is I just make sure I have a certain number of calories remaining each day (usually between 250-500 if I can help it) - that way I know I've got my deficit. Doing it this way also gives me some freedom for my super hungry days becaues I know I can eat up to my TDEE figure without being guilt-tripped by MFP's big red numbers!

For those of you who were familiar with the Olivia Method (where'd that go?!), it's sort of like that.