Why Hate & Avoid Taking Insulin for Type 2 People?

Options
amy_kee
amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
Hi,
I'm Amy, I'm 48 yrs old, and I live in Florida, and I have type 2 diabetes. I was diagnosed with it back in 05'.

i'm wondering why so many people don't want to take insulin for Type 2 diabetes.... I'm not sure why this is.

Insulin allows a much more flexible eating plan. It also allows flexibility in covering your blood sugar, where as a pill just covers the same amount, no matter what you have eaten or done. Insulin also doesn't have any of the nasty side effects that the various diabetic pills have. Plus, Insulin is now delivered in these very convenient flexpens, where you just dial the dose that you want to take...no more syringes & vials.

With all the advantages of taking Insulin, I am truly interested in really why people don't want to go this route?

I'd appreciate what you have to share.
Amy

Replies

• Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hi Amy, I'm Kurt.

I'm T2 and have been diagnosed as such since 2007. I am on oral meds and victoza (injected) right now and prefer this to taking insulin. For me, I'm working towards being off meds and controlling this with diet and exercise as well as losing weight. My endo feels I can do this.

Now, I can pretty much eat what I wish to, but, I'm moving more and more into healthier choices. I used to be a cheese junky but rarely have it now. I miss it but it's fats and calories I can live without.

I kinda see insulin as a last resort for controlling Diabetes. Everyone is different and may feel differently. I myself, want to avoid as many meds as possible, including insulin.

Cheers, Kurt
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I would gladly take insulin but the dr. is hesitant. I will never be off drugs as lifestyle changes cannot control my T2. Lifestyle changes can improve my BG but without drugs I would be somewhere around 300 all the time.

So at this point I manage ok control with 2000 mg of met and 1 mg of amaryl. I run 15 or so miles a week and walk another 15 or so. I do a little body weight exercises and yoga. I try to limit my net carbs to around 100-125 per day.

I think a lot of people feel that T2 could be controlled by lifestyle alone and taking insulin is like admitting defeat. Since I already know that there is nothing I can do to get off drugs I am more accepting of it and feel the goal is to have good BG no matter how you do it.
  • crowntech
    crowntech Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've by T2 since Jan of 2011. Started off taking 2 insulins 4 times/day. As of 3 months ago I am just taking only 1000mg of metformin/day. When I was on insulin, I felt like a diabetic, now being off, I feel more of normal person. I think it was just a mind set for me. With insulin, I was able to control my bs better because if I cheated, I just gave myself more insulin. Now I eat around 120 carbs/day and it is doing well for me.

With the insulin I was having a very hard time loosing wt. Was told that insulin acts like insulation to our body and it prevents us from burning the fat. Don't know if it because I am eating better and exercising more, but it seems like I am loosing wt at a quicker pace.

While on insulin I injected into my stomach area. I never had much of a stomach prior but it was growing because I was storing more fat there. Since getting off, I have noticed a change in that area but I also have been working that area more so it's probably the combination of both.

When I was told I could get off of the insulin, I felt a huge weight was taken off my shoulders.
  • amy_kee
    Options
    What you all have shared is very interesting to me. I guess a lot of people do see taking Insulin as a "last resort" so to speak. I guess I never developed that stigma and that is why I requested from my Dr that I wanted to go on Insulin back in 06. He did seem pretty perplexed by me asking for Insulin, but gave it to me anyway. I've been with diff Drs and on various Insulin since then and have been happy on the Insulin.

In the 1st comment, I'm glad you are looking to control your blood sugar with diet and weight loss. Good for you!!! :-) I'm trying to get better in that area too now. I've just come off of a very poor week with my diet though and I really hate that.

In the 2nd comment, I find that bad that your Dr is hesitant to prescribe or even give you the option of going on Insulin to control your blood sugar. I'm glad you are willing to do the best you can do to control your blood sugar too.

In the 3rd comment, that is interesting how you have boosted up your weight loss in your stomach area, since coming off of Insulin. I also didn't know that you felt like a weight had been lifted off of your shoulders.

I really appreciate you all's comments.
    Amy
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hi, Amy. I see that we reside in the same fair city.

I am not against taking any medication that is necessary, including insulin, to control my diabetes. However, I am determined to do everything in my power to control it first. If that isn't enough, I will take what is necessary to control it. Fortunately, I was able to make enough changes to be taken off the Metformin I was prescribed at diagnosis, and am now keeping it in check through diet and exercise alone. Not everyone can do it, but I am determined to do it as for as long as I can, even if it means I can't enjoy some of the foods I could if I were taking insulin, or any other diabetes medication, for that matter. It's a personal decision that I have made, but I don't fault others for choosing not to go that route.
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am "prediabetic", so taking insulin is off the table. But from where I sit, if I can beat my BS down to normal, the health insurance gods will think I don't have a problem. Which means health insurance should be cheaper. Currently, I am trying to move from a group plan to an individual one, saving me some $400 per month.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I am T2D since 2003, but was not real serious about it other than taking my meds. About a year and a half ago, when my A1C was 7.9 (as well as a bunch of other health issues), my Dr. threatened me with insulin. To me, that was admitting defeat, and that my health issues were winning and I was out of control. So, to try to get healthy, I changed my lifestyle from processed junk food to cooking my own meals with natural local Farmer’s Market fruits and veggies and, when possible, locally grown grass fed meats. No more processed food, grains, sugars or oils.

With my new “lifestyle”, I lowered my A1C from 7.9 to 6.1, triglycerides from 275 to 101, my LDL from 138 to 86, and raised my HDL from 38 to 56.

In August, I was put on Prednisone (a steroid) because of some new health issues. Because of the BG spike with steroids, I was taken off Metformin (1000 mg twice a day) and put on insulin: Novolin (long term, twice a day) and Novolog (depending on my pre-meal BG).

Although I was trying to keep my carbs under 100 mg/day, I started eating 10% carbs (<45g/day) to better control my BG, because I don’t like the inconvenience of shooting insulin. For the first time ever, I regularly have my BG readings between 75 and 110, except for my before lunch BG (130-190) which is after I take my steroids. I am slowly being removed from the Prednisone, and will be off of them on Oct. 15, so I hope things will return to normal.

Because of the inconvenience of using insulin, I hope to return to the Metformin. HOWEVER, if I can’t control my BG with my diet while on Metformin as well as when I am on insulin, I will continue to use insulin. My ultimate goal is to control my BG with diet and exercise to where I get off the meds. I want to be like travessiger.
  • amy_kee
    Options
    Travis,
    That is great that we live in the same city. I live on the westside. I'm fixing to go to Planet Fitness on 103rd and work out today.

You have a lot of great determination! That comes through in your comment and it shows in your success in your weight loss. ::-) I think that is wonderful...!!! That's great that you also made the changes soon, where your beta cells still had a good chance too. I bet things will just get better and better for you as you continue on your path. That is nice how you are open to all means to control blood sugar.
    Amy
  • amy_kee
    Options
    CRody, You have an amazing change around in your history! I am very proud of your success and the changes you implemented on your own. That's big time! You didn't mention exercise in the mix. Did your HDL increase that much with diet changes and no additional exercise? I'm hoping to improve my HDL with exercise, among other things.

Yeah, those steroids do nasty things as side effects. They inject them in my spine every so often and have put them in my eye before. I bet they do raise your blood sugar a lot! ---especially with you taking the Prednisone each day.

I hate that you find Insulin inconvenient to use and tolerate. It used to be more trouble when there were only regular and NPH Insulin and vials and syringes. I found those types of Insulin inadequate at best. I love the basil and bolis Insulin they have out now in the flexpens.

As well as you are doing, I hope that you are able to tolerate just taking Metformin again after the Prednisone is DC. We all deserve to be happy with our diabetes treatment plan, especially when working so hard for it.
    Amy
  • amy_kee
    Options
    KMac, You are catching your diabetes at the right time to do something about it, that's for sure. I hope that you are successful in achieving remission! Do all that you can now, but, no matter what, never give up. That's a lot of $$$ you are looking to save in ins costs! ......
    Amy
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think you have to keep in mind too, that there are a lot of differences among T2 diabetics. For a lot of us, our bodies are still producing various levels of insulin, but our cells have become resistant to it. So just adding more insulin to our blood stream will only have a certain degree of success, whereas many of the oral medications work to decrease insulin resistance and/or control glycogen output from our liver. It's a very different issue from T1 diabetics who produce no insulin of their own and are dependent on injections or T2s whose pancreas (Pancreases? wow, what's the plural for that? No idea!) are slowing down or have stopped production of insulin.

For myself, the thought at the forefront of my mind is that Diabetes is both chronic and progressive, so the longer I can avoid needing the "big gun" of insulin injections the better because then I'll still have that as an option in my arsenal as the disease progresses. I will, however, do whatever is necessary when it is necessary since, as Sharonks says on here, the goal is to control our BG and if it requires meds, then TAKE the meds and avoid the rot.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The only time I was on insulin injections was when I was initially diagnosed in the hospital and my sugar was over 400. After I was stabilized and released, I was put on oral meds. Now I am off those and very happy. I simply do NOT like taking medication if I can avoid it and I don't mind cutting back on the bad foods that led me to be diagnosed as T2 in the first place.

Just before the Dr. took me off the Amaryl my fasting sugar reading was 55....pretty low. So he said I didn't need it anymore. Now my fasting sugar is between 80 and 95. I am content.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Amy,

For exercise, I was walking 30-45 minutes a day,5 days a week for about a year, then several months ago, joined a gym, got a trainer and was doing cardio 30-45 minutes a day/5 days a week and weight training 2 days a week.

That all came to a screeching halt in August with the prednisone. I had periodic Atrial Fibrillation that usually lasted less than an hour, but the prednisone put me into continuous AFib. My resting heart rate was 45-55 BPM, but the steroids put me up to 85-95 BPM. My cardiologist said to keep my RHR to less than 120 BPM to lessen the chance of stroke or heart attack. When you start at 95 BPM, it doesn’t take much to get over 120, like walking upstairs or even up a slight incline. So, until I’m off the steroids, I can’t do any exercise, which I really miss.

When I get off the ‘roids, I go in to have a Stage 3 melanoma cut out of the bottom of my foot, which will involve almost the entire pad below the toes, almost down to the bone. I will also have the lymph nodes in my groin biopsied to see if it has spread. I will have to stay off my foot for a minimum of eight weeks but I talked to my trainer, and, if my RHR gets back to normal, they have cardio machines where I use my upper body rather than my feet, so I’ll give that a try. That may be a blessing in disguise, since I’ve developed saggy baggy man boobs from all the weight I have lost, and this may help tone them up.
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The short answer for me is that insulin has been a vicious circle of eating more, gaining weight, and becoming more and more insulin resistant. At first I thought it was a good thing but after reading Gary Taubes' book, now I'm convinced it's not. At least for those who are capable of controlling T2 by other methods. For a carb addict like me, it doesn't matter what method you use if you are still addicted. The cravings will by-pass any attempt to control blood glucose adequately. Now that I've broken the craving cycle with a reduced carb life style, I'm slowly weaning myself off of insulin, have recently started on Metformin and am finally losing weight. All of this under a good doctor's care. There's hope. Insulin is a good thing but it can also be abused if someone doesn't get adequate training or doesn't do their own research.
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I've only recently been diagnosed as T2 (three months now) so if I can control it through diet and exercise it feels like the best action - I don't like to take any form of drugs and resist taking over the counter painkillers for a headache for example.

So far I got my A1C down from 9.6% to 7.2% with diet and exercise. I have been given a target of 6.5% for my next test in December.

My view on why some people resists taking it, and I am in this group, the perception by others that you must be very ill. Whilst this next statement could perhaps be a thread on its own - Being newly diagnosed, I am still embarrassed about saying I have diabetes and have only told a few close friends.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Big-I look at my diabetes as a teaching moment for people. I'm never shy about telling people. I always wonder how many people are walking around out there undiagnosed. T2 is a silent killer and often there are no noticeable symptoms until there is a lot of damage. I was diagnosed young and not particularly heavy. I was also very active. At 47 I'm still rather young. I'm not heavy. I'm very active. My diabetes is getting worse. My pancreas is making less and less insulin. I encourage people to get tested even if they don't think they could have it. Many people will say they are too young or only 50 lbs overweight or their family history is to get it at 70 so they don't need to worry yet. I am proof it can happen to them at any age, any size, any activity level. It also bothers me that people see T2 as a fat and lazy persons disease. It is not. It is not our fault that we have it. It bothers me that many people seem to feel that research should be limited because if those fat people would just eat decently and get exercise then they would be cured. It is not that simple. It seems that more and more people are getting T2. I'm not so sure that it is necessarily because people are getting heavier (which I agree that they are) but that something else is going on. There are many heavy people who never get T2 so obviously that isn't the only thing causing it.