Have you tired Grilling Cheese?

Options
I found this at the grocery store. Grilling cheese. It is a pretty good snack but kind of salty. I think it would be better in a salad.
http://vegetarian.about.com/od/glossary/qt/What-is-Halloumi-Cheese.htm

Replies

• LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I microwave some cheeses into a crispy cracker.
    You can't use just any old cheese as most will get runny and oily.

I have a brand of smoked cheddar (probably a processed cheese food) that works really well.
    American processed cheese slices work reasonably well but are lacking in flavor.
    Fresh shredded Parmesan or other aged Italian cheese work well.

Place the cheese on a piece of parchment so it won't stick.

Watch it carefully so it does not burn.

Be careful , it can get really hot and could cause the plate you have it on to crack.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I microwave some cheeses into a crispy cracker.
    You can't use just any old cheese as most will get runny and oily.

I have a brand of smoked cheddar (probably a processed cheese food) that works really well.
    American processed cheese slices work reasonably well but are lacking in flavor.
    Fresh shredded Parmesan or other aged Italian cheese work well.

Place the cheese on a piece of parchment so it won't stick.

Watch it carefully so it does not burn.

Be careful , it can get really hot and could cause the plate you have it on to crack.
    i do this too! yumm:)
  • mahlerosa
    Options
    This type of cheese stays together..does not burn it actually gets a crust on it. No oil either.
    Its a type of cheese not a process.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Shredded parm in the oven makes awesome crackers
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Shredded parm in the oven makes awesome crackers

They totally make a fresh made bowl of tomato garden vegetable soup soooo much better!
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've bought that and it's WONDERFUL! I like it cut into sticks and then fried and dipped into marinara sauce like a non-breaded mozzarella stick. The kind I bought wasn't overly salty, but other brands might be different. I haven't seen it in the store in months though so I don't remetmber what brand it was. It's a really tasty snack when you crave pizza or something "junky"
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Halloumi cheese :o)

Yes, it is very salty so it's a love it or hate it thing but for me, I love it!

I urge every low carber who has not tried this cheese to give it a go.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's good stuff. Basically you end up with a grilled cheese sandwich without the cheese.

The last time I got it it didn't seem as good as the first time I got it - and yeah I found it salty. The last time I had it was ages ago - maybe my taste changed? I do know I got it at Sam's Club before.

I also found that the thinner I sliced it, the more I liked it. It cooked all the way through. The block I got was 9 oz and it said it had 9 servings and I was all "yeah right!" and tried a 3oz slice and it sucked. But then taking the next 3oz slice and slicing it down to 3x1oz was good.

I like to make the slices of cheese and eat them with a salad, and when the salad's gone use the cheese to wipe up the salad dressing :)

I'm wondering if what I got before wasn't haloumi (this time it was) but instead something from South America as found here: http://www.tropicalcheese.com/caribbean.htm#