Squat Critique

Options
Capt_Apollo
Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
tell me where i need to improve please. i feel that i get low enough, but i know that my back needs to be straighter coming up, which i'm working on. i know that when i puff out my chest to help with that.

this is at my max, 195lbs.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bzy1WqNKk3eDWUV5RVJZa0Z2UHM

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Bump to check later.
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Looks pretty good. You are dipping your shoulders as you come up with the weight, but you already know that. You are getting low enough from what I can see and you aren't rounding your low back.

A side view would be better for a diagnosis, but I was taught that you should try to keep your shins and your spine parallel as you push up from the full squat position. Toes pointed out a little and weight over the mid foot area.

Kickin *kitten*.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    looks good. no red flags. agree that next time you should attempt to film from the side.

but your belt is not legit, sorry to say.
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Equipment#Belts
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Looking good minus the shoulder dip mentioned (but don't listen to me, I'm an amateur. :heart: )
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    Do your wrists hurt after squatting? Because they seem quite flexed backwards.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Regarding the wrists, I used to have a b!tch of a time with this, and still do, but it's much better than it used to be.

Here are some mobility things that can help

http://stronglifts.com/shoulders-dislocations/
    http://stronglifts.com/squats-improve-shoulder-flexibility-how-to/
    http://stronglifts.com/squats-improve-posture-flexibility-how-to/
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Does anything hurt when you do your squats?

Do you feel any areas that aren't tight?
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    To me it looks like you could stick your butt out a bit more so that your low back is flat, or if anything, arched. Best description I've ever heard of a proper squat: Stick out your butt and go down like a stripper making money, then pull back up squeezing your butt so you don't get raped. It could just be the angle that made it look like that to me though.

ETA: OP, you can't post again because you're at 999 posts.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    all looks pretty good to me besides the chest dropping forward a bit which was already mentioned.

re wrists: being a high bar squat you really shouldn't have an issue. I'd work on the shoulder mobility mainly.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    not bad. would give it a green light. just your form breaks down alittle with u leaning forward when the weight gets heavy. u have way btr wrist flexibity than me.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    You're high bar squatting. IMO if you're going to high bar, you have to hit more depth than just parallel, since the whole point of high barring is to hit ATG squats. Also, do you really need a belt for those squats? I dont think you do. Wearing a belt all the time will make you more dependant on it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    You're high bar squatting. IMO if you're going to high bar, you have to hit more depth than just parallel, since the whole point of high barring is to hit ATG squats. Also, do you really need a belt for those squats? I dont think you do. Wearing a belt all the time will make you more dependant on it.

i tend to only use the belt on my last set, which was that one.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I agree with what's been said. The only thing I could add is the shoulder dropping could be helped by keeping your head/neck position at the same angle as your back. Rippetoe suggests looking down rather than straight ahead. But I know I struggle with that too since I wanna watch myself in the mirror.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Its takes time for a tall guy to get stronger with longer muscles. I know your tall because I put my bar in the top hook on the rack too. Center of gravity tends to make you go forward some in balancing the weight. A little lower on the back would help some but it will still take time. Strengthening the lower back more to keep stable too. But even if you kept squatting like that you will build strength. Half squats and leg presses help the upper part of the lift too. Still good form though. Everybody gives a little when you get closer to the end of the set. If the last rep is a struggle form goes out the window as you fatigue. jmho
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    I agree with what's been said. The only thing I could add is the shoulder dropping could be helped by keeping your head/neck position at the same angle as your back. Rippetoe suggests looking down rather than straight ahead. But I know I struggle with that too since I wanna watch myself in the mirror.

ugh, i know!! i always tell people to look down to keep the spine aligned, but then i always forget to do it myself!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Its takes time for a tall guy to get stronger with longer muscles. I know your tall because I put my bar in the top hook on the rack too. Center of gravity tends to make you go forward some in balancing the weight. A little lower on the back would help some but it will still take time. Strengthening the lower back more to keep stable too. But even if you kept squatting like that you will build strength. Half squats and leg presses help the upper part of the lift too. Still good form though. Everybody gives a little when you get closer to the end of the set. If the last rep is a struggle form goes out the window as you fatigue. jmho

yeah, 6'3" here. this video is actually from a while back, and a friend of mine suggested to do good mornings to help strength my lower back, which i've been doing along with hyper-extensions.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    6'3" here too, my old knees are killin me. Widened my stance a little and its taken some of the pain away. Back got muscles like a horse from years of power lifting. But all the joints are terrible. Leg presses don't bother me. Saw a guy doing good mornings with 225 lbs. the other day and I said better you than me. lol