Favorite Challenges

Options
Harlemite
Harlemite Posts: 62 Member
Hi Everyone!

I'm relatively new to TOPS (joined May this year) and have fallen into the role of "challenge coordinator" for our group. We've just finished a "Meet in the Middle" Challenge with a group from NH (I'm in GA) and are gearing up for a FALL challenge.

How does your group do challenges? Does the leadership/group plan them "on the fly" or do you plan them out by quarters or for the year? How often does your group do challenges? What kind of challenges do you like best? (Individual, partners, teams, groups?)

I'd also like to know what YOUR favorite challenges are (please be as specific as possible). I've looked at the ones on the TOPS website, but they really don't list that many.

Thanks for your responses!!

Elaine/aka Harlemite

Replies

• susan9
    susan9 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I liked a walking challenge that we had because I do a lot of walking. We just had a sheet of squares that we colored in for each mile. I kept track of my miles , days times locations on the back of the sheet.

We have been playing TOPSY bingo. The cards are 50 cents each/limit 2 cards. Numbers are called each week. If you lose or stay the same, you X the number, but if you gain, you circle the numbers. You can't get TOPSY bingo with circled numbers. When someone wins, they get half the card proceeds and half goes to the treasury.
  • NikkiHann17
    NikkiHann17 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I liked a walking challenge that we had because I do a lot of walking. We just had a sheet of squares that we colored in for each mile. .

Right now we have the same challenge as above and the goal is 100miles before you turn in your sheet for a prize. Don't know what big prize is yet , but soon. :smokin:

We also have the fitness bingo going on (that was in a previous magazine). Each Bingo you get a bottle of water with a great valu flavor packet attached (crytal light). You can only get 12 total bingos and to claim a bingo you would have to have done that exercise. For instance to claim a bing down and then to claim it across you would have to have done that exercise 2x.

And we are running the Quarter Challenge. Basically each player starts with $2.50 in quarters in a named ziplock baggie. Each week if you gain you put a quarter in your baggie, if you loose you take a quarter out and if you stay the same you don't do anything. First person to empty the baggie wins the all the baggies. We also get extra quarters out if we do our journal one week, it just depends on if our leader wants to give us a bonus week.

Finally we have the monthly Princess Challenge. Each person who wants to win the pot puts a dollar in at the beginning of the month. Then the race is on to see who the biggest loser of the month is, it has to be 5lbs or more. The winner is named and takes the pot on the first meeting of the new month. They get a certificate a little rose pin from TOPS and to wear the crown for the meeting, plus they get their picture taken holding all the prizes except the money. Now anyone who lost 5lbs or more but is not princess gets special recognition and is in the "court". I was princess for August so I held the title all through September :blushing: .

Hope these ideas help.
  • Harlemite
    Options
    Susan and Nikki,

Thanks for your responses. If you think of any more....just post away! (BTW Congrats Princess Nikki!!)

Elaine/aka Harlemite
  • nmleisa
    nmleisa Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi all! What a great thread :) I used to come up with contests with our group (and still do from time to time) so I have lots of ideas to share. I apologize in advance... I am a little long-winded at times, so bear with me :) Also, feel free to message me and then we can talk over email. :)

We try to do both individual contests and group contests. When we do groups, we just divide our chapter in 2 groups (we have about 12-14 active members). We have 2 active KOPS and make each of them a team captain. :)

Right now we are doing a contest called "On The Ball." Everyone in the group has their name pinned a a Styrofoam ball. If you gain, your name comes off the ball. The last person with their name on the ball wins a $10 gift card.

Most of our individual contests use the same criteria...either all or some of them. We decide for each contest. The criteria we use is the following:

*Lose or turtle (KOPS in leeway)
    *stay for the meeting
    *drink 8, 8oz glasses of water at least 5 days a week
    *exercise for 20 minutes at least 4 days a week
    *keep a food journal (either written or on myfitnesspal)
    *communicate with a TOPS member (either phone/email/mail card or note). We have some people in the group who are really good friends and talk every day, so we try to ask that you communicate with people you don't talk to as much. :)

You get a point for the ones you did each week (or can color in on a sheet) and whoever has the most points at the end wins. We usually do a gift card of some sort.

We have an ongoing contest which involves the best loser each week. We keep a written list (started at first meeting in January). Who ever lost the most weight for the week (can be more than one person) gets their name written on the list. The first person to get their name on the list 4 times wins a $10 gift card. Then we draw a line when the gift card is given and start over. At the end of the year, we're also going to give a prize to the person who has their name on the list the most for the whole year. We used to do it with a wrapped package...if you were best loser for the week, you'd write your name on the present...then if you were one there 4 times you won it. We just got tired of lugging the package every week :)

We have an ongoing calendar contest for weighing in...we take a blank calendar (can be an old calendar)...after you weigh in, you get to sign one square on the calendar for every half pound you lose. For example, I lost 2 pounds last week, so I got to sign 4 squares. It doesn't matter which square you sign...it can be anywhere in the calendar, but it can only have one signature per square (i like to try to sign my birthday, kids birthdays, etc then start just signing anywhere) :) As the contest goes along, it gets harder to find open squares. When every square in every month of the whole calendar has been signed, we have a drawing. We have 2 ziploc bags...one with each month on individual slips of paper, and one with the numbers 1-31 on individual slips and we draw one from each...who ever has signed that square that has been drawn (i.e. January 9) wins a manicure/pedicure. The last time we drew, our only male member won, so he got to pick where he wanted a $25 gift card. :) Then we start all over again with a new calendar. Hope that makes sense.

I found an idea from one of the TOPS chapters websites...we made up four fake $10 bills. I found the $10 bill template from a kids site for making personalized money. Instead of a president in the middle, we have a cartoon lady shooting a scale :) Anyway, we laminated the bills and put magnets on the back. Basically, if you want to participate, you pay $1 and get to take the fake $10 bill home for 4 weeks. If you gain at any point during those 4 weeks, you bring it back and forfeit your $1 entry. If you lose/turtle for the 4 weeks, you bring your fake $10 bill back and exchange it for a real one! Sounds easy right?? Well, taking those suckers home is like the kiss of death! LOL. We've only had 3 people actually turn theirs in for real $10, everyone else ends up gaining. Must be the pressure! :) haha.

I have a few group contests that work really well for us, but since this is getting so long, I'll post them in a seperate post. :)

Hope these help someone get some new ideas!!
  • nmleisa
    nmleisa Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Group Contest Ideas

We've had two group contests that have been very popular. The first has been a bead contest. I had come across this contest in my googling for ideas. You could also use beans. I used pony beads. We split into 2 groups, with equal KOPS on each team (just one each for us). One team is assigned purple beads, the other team is assigned green beads. (You could use whatever colors you wanted though!) The KOPS use yellow beads so we can tell them apart...and just since they're so darn special! :)

Choose jars that are not huge...the bigger the jar, the longer the contest will run. The first time we did it, i had jars that were too big and after about 2 months everyone lost interest. I ended up using the smallest canning jars that I could find...i think it's 4 oz.
    The team that fills their jar first is the winner.

Each team has their own jar. I labeled each one, otherwise it gets confusing. The purple team fills their jar with purple beads; the green team fills their jar with green beads. You get to put beads in YOUR team jar for each 1/2 pound that you LOSE....so if you lose 2 lbs, you get to put 4 beads in your team jar.

The KOPS get to put their yellow beads in their team jar for one the following:
    ~If you are out of leeway, no beads are put in the jar.
    ~if you're over goal, but still in leeway, you only get to put one bead in the jar.
    ~If you are under your goal, you get to put 2 beads in your team jar
    ~If you are 7 under your goal, you get to put 3 beads in your team jar.

Now here's the kicker....if you have a GAIN for the week...you put your color beads in the OTHER TEAM's jar!! Obviously you don't want to help the other team fill their jar, so you're going to want to have a loss!! :) That's why it's fun to use different color beads for each team...you can see when someone on the other team gained because the other teams color is in your jar! :) Hopefully that makes sense. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The other group contest is our baseball contest. We've played it every September for the past 6 or 7 years and everyone looks forward to it. We usually try to time it so that it ends the same week as the world series. It runs for 9 weeks, so we start in august.

Basically, we split the group up into 2 teams, with one KOPS as the head of each team. We meet at a church library, so we use the front entry way so we have enough room. We bring paper plates to use as bases and set up a little baseball diamond (there's usually about 10 steps between bases, so we don't need a ton of room). We usually designate on person to ask the questions and keep track of runs scored. The first person comes up to bat and each member is asked the same questions...if you answer yes, you get to move to the next base...if you answer no, you stay put. When you get to home base, you score a run. If there are still questions being asked, you can then move to first base again if you answer yes. You keep going until all the questions are asked, and then stay your last base when the next person comes up to bat. They can then help you get home by getting to different bases, just like real baseball. If someone else brings you home, then you are done with the bases.

The questions are:

*Did you wear a hat? (can be any kind of hat, but it must be brought to the meeting)

*Did you stay for the meeting (pretty much a freebie question!)

*Did you drink your water (8, 8oz glasses at least 5 days out of the week)

*Did you exercise? (20 minutes at least 4 days a week)

*Did you communicate with a TOPS member (we have some members who are really good friends, so we try to say to communicate with someone you don't talk with much)

*Did you keep a food record?

*Did you lose weight? You get to take one base for every 1/2 lb you lose.

For KOPS...instead of "did you lose weight?" we ask the following:
    *are you in leeway (take one base if in leeway)

*are you under your goal? (take one base if under goal)

*are you 7 under? (take one base if 7 under - we have a member who has been at 7 under for most of the year)

Each member of team one gets asked all the questions, then we move to team 2. We play each week and keep track of the score throughout the 9 weeks. The team that has the most runs at the end of 9 weeks wins. Last year we got $10 gift cards for each member of the winning team (there were 7 people who we had to buy gift cards for). One year we got a movie gift card for each person. Our chapter does lots of fundraisers to be able to have decent prizes for contests and this year we were able to send 5 people to IRD in San Diego..paid their entry fee and hotel for 2 nights) If you want fundraiser ideas, i can tell you what we've done.

anyway, I really like the baseball contest...before i joined MFP, it really helped me get on track because I wanted to be able to get as many bases as i could!! I think it was the only time that I would keep a food record...and i'd always end up losing weight. I wish i would have connected the dots back then! LOL. It's also nice because it gets everyone up and moving, even if it's just between bases.

Thanks for reading if you have gotten this far!! Told ya I talk a lot!! :) haha. If you have any questions, just ask, or send me a message.
  • Harlemite
    Options
    nmleisa - Awesome! (Yes, I did read to the very end!) Great ideas! I haven't heard anyone in our group mention anything like these two challenges. I'll be printing them both for future reference! Thanks SOOOOO much! :-)

Elaine/aka Harlemite