ANYONE WITH CROHN'S OR I.B.S.?

Options
rosied915
rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
Hi Everyone~

Boy, do I have one sore tummy!

Without getting too graphic, I've been having some problems with loose bowels. It used to be only once a day but lately has increased to up 5-6 times per day!

So I FINALLY went to my doctor (you know how us ex-healthcare workers are) and am being worked up for Crohn's or IBS. He gave me Bentyl and upped my anxiety meds since there might be a connection there. I go to a GI guy next Wednesday.

Just wondering if anyone of you have any experience with this and can share some insight.

Replies

• bellabrite
    bellabrite Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is funny because I was JUST going to post the same question today. I have IBS, and right now it is horrible and combined with another condition -- and it essentially means I am going to be forced to eat way fewer calories than I want, and all sorts of problems. Guess we can discuss privately.

I am so damn jealous of people with normal guts.
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    i have IBS-C, i guess im the opposite. I have to eat alot of fiber rich foods and drink alot of water or i get extremely bloated and backed up.

when ever i have a flare up, it puts me back a good 2+ weeks on my weight loss journey. I gain weight and look preggo because of all the bloating.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have IBS-D... it's part of my life and I do what I can to work around it and not cause flare-ups.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Celiac and multiple allergies, lots of gut problems in our household. What are your restrictions?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My husband had ulcerative colitis, so no I'm no stranger to the problems these issues can cause! Not fun! I say "had" ulcerative colitis because he had surgery about 5 years ago to remove his colon, and a second surgery to create a j-pouch out of his small intestine (so he doesn't have a bag - google j-pouch if you're curious or you can message me. :tongue:).

Anyway - one thing we learned through his years of dealing with flares is that everyone seems to be different - what causes one person to flare up may or may not trigger someone else. Stress was definitely a trigger, even though some doctors say there's no proof of that. Hubs had issues with dairy, especially frozen dairy and cottage cheese, cruciferous veggies,citrus, a lot of seeds and roughage.

In the early years he could often get a flare under control by backing away from any of those types of foods, and drinking those Ensure drinks - they were easy on his gut. Rice, cream of wheat cereal, scrambled eggs - bland, non-greasy stuff were good too. Oddly, metamucil was helpful too. Always seemed counter-intuitive, but since it's a bulking agent, it helped balance him out sometimes. He liked the unflavored, coarse ground stuff better than the orange stuff.

I hope you get some good answers and some relief soon! My heart goes out to all of you who suffer from these things! :flowerforyou:
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I got IBS, it sucks :(
  • little_miss_panda
    Options
    I have Crohns. Currently in remission though, as I have not had a bad flare now for some time. I'm also coeliac.

I do primal/paleo and it seems to work pretty well for me, though it can be a process of trial and error. I was laxative dependent (sorry TMI!) for a couple of years due to a colon stricture caused by scarring from ulcers, but since quitting grains and legumes, and eating more or less according to the primal blueprint guidelines (google Mark's Daily Apple if you're interested) I am coming off the laxatives gradually, and am just down to half a tablet. The main thing that has helped, weirdly, I think has been the increase in fats, particularly Omega 3. It seems to just calm everything down. I had started with some mouth ulcers a couple of weeks back (the first sign that I'm about to flare up) but they went after a few days once I went strictly back on the diet.

Best of luck with all the tests.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your stories.

I went for the GI consult and I'm getting a UGI with Small Bowel Xray exam. I am a retired X-ray Tech so I know what this is all about and that it's no big deal.

He is leaning towards IBS and in addition to the Bentyl from my Primary, he advised me to take Probiotics. I got some generic "Align" and so far, so good.

He agrees that stress may be the culprit in my case and I've been "tactfully" trying to inform the "stressors" in my life of my predictament. I think I'm actually getting through to them and I am also learning to SPEAK UP when I feel like something is getting to be too much.

I must admit that I am a little worried that all these years of being the "dumping ground" for so many people may have done some actual physical damage to my small bowel.

I'll find out on Monday when I have the Xray.

Stay tuned.......and thanks again for taking the time to share your stories.:heart:
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    From my research, there are two diets to follow; one for maintenance and one during a flare. The maintenance diet is high fibre, the diet during a flare is low fibre/low residue. Searching "low residue diet" will give you more details.

The most common triggers of a flare are dairy, caffeine, alcohol, and sorbitol. If you are on a flare, you should also avoid whole grains, raw fruits, dried fruits, and sugar as much as possible.

Other foods that may be problematic are meat, gas producing foods (beans, crucifers, mushrooms, etc.), fatty foods, soy, gluten, and nuts/seeds. You really do need to figure out your own individual triggers, but these are common ones. During a flare you should be especially aware of crucifers, beans/legumes, and spicy food.

Good foods on the maintenance diet are fruits (peeled or cooked if you are sensitive), cooked/steamed veggies, tubers, beans/legumes if tolerated, and gluten-free grains.

During a flare, good foods would be cooked fruits/juices, bananas, well-cooked vegetables/juices, peeled tubers, and refined gluten-free grains.

I hope some of that works for you.
  • bellabrite
    bellabrite Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For those of who who have IBS, check into the symptoms of Candida overgrowth (in the gut). I just found out that this is what I've had off and on for six years and finally everything is making sense. The most inflamatory thing you can eat is sugar in all its forms, and gluten.

Right now I cannot eat any gluten, sugar (and all refined carbs), dairy, soy, and of course alcohol since it is pure sugar. I can't even eat fruit or beans right now, though I should be able to add those back in later.

A couple years ago I stopped my probiotics, and that was a bad decision. Never again! This time I re-researched probiotics and have been taking a good one for a week, and it has made a difference. I think practically anyone could benefit from probiotics. If you've been on antibiotics or steroids lately, you are really at risk for candida overgrowth in the gut.