I've recorded over 1 million steps on my pedometer :)

Options
The_Dude
The_Dude Posts: 171 Member
Posted this to my status but thought I would share here as well. In June I recognized my lifestyle has gotten extremely sedentary. Having almost zero interest in starting a hard core workout program my first baby step was to purchase a pedometer and try and hit 10K steps a day. But first I recorded my average steps with my then current lifestyle. On a workday I would average anywhere from 2,750-3,500 steps in a day. On a weekend I would average anywhere from 1,000 to 3,000 (non average had days of over 10k). So 10K steps would increase my steps considerably. The pedometer I bought also tracks "aerobic steps" separately. These are steps that take place when walking a minimum of 10 minutes continuously while also at a pace of at least 60 steps a minute. My average there was previously ZERO!

About 3 weeks after buying the pedometer I rediscovered myfitnesspal and now that it had an app for my Iphone I got hooked right away. I lost over 20 lbs just from walking and using myfitnesspal. This increased my motivation over time to where on 9/10 I started up a "hard core workout" program in the form of P90X ha ha.

Last friday I recorded my millionth step and as of yesterday my pedometer stats are:

Days recorded - 101
Total steps recorded - 1,027,229
Avg steps per day - 10,171
Total days over 10K - 64
Total days under 10K - 37

Total aerobic steps - 516,086
Average aerobic steps per day - 5,060
Total aerobic walking time - 4,880 minutes
Average aerobic walking time per day - 48 minutes

Total miles walked - 486

As a kid (and somewhat secretly today) I loved playing RPG video games where you built up a character and made them stronger. So having a pedometer to measure my progress with I think taps into that same personality trait that loves to see a stat go up as a direct result of my efforts.

Replies

• mets86champs
    mets86champs Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Congratulations

How many steps are you getting per P90X workout?
  • The_Dude
    Options
    Congratulations

How many steps are you getting per P90X workout?

A negligible amount on most P90X workouts. Keep in mind that it only counts steps if you take 4+ steps so a random 1 or 3 steps here and there to change position doesn't count. Probably something along these lines:

chest & back/ shoulders and arms/ ~500 steps up to maybe 750 if I'm doing lots of walking and shakers inbetween sets.

Plyo 2-3k

Yoga basically zero

Kenpo / Legs & back maybe 1k up to 1.5k.
  • The_Dude
    Options
    Well it turns out my off the cuff response was off quite a bit on Kenpo. Did kenpo this morning and got around 3,500 steps out of it. Though none of it was with the consistency to trigger "aerobic steps" per my pedometer which is fine with me. I try to log all my aerobic steps on mfp and don't want to have to worry about double counting.
  • mets86champs
    Options
    Challenge Accepted!!!

I put on my pedometer yesterday and like you unless I go for a walk during lunch, I'm looking at less then 3,000 steps during work.

I picked up 655 steps during Back and Bicep today.
  • The_Dude
    Options
    Challenge Accepted!!!

I put on my pedometer yesterday and like you unless I go for a walk during lunch, I'm looking at less then 3,000 steps during work.

I picked up 655 steps during Back and Bicep today.

Sweet!! Welcome to the pedometer club :) Today was almost an 11k step day for me
  • mets86champs
    Options
    You were right about Yoga. It was an even 100 steps.

I'll end the day around 4,300. I didn't get a chance to walk at lunch so that hurts my total.

I'm going to be short of the 10,000 a day Monday to Friday, but I think a normal weekend for me will easily be around 17,000.

Working out in the morning would give me the time to walk or run at night, but I just can't roll out of bed and start working out. :-(
  • The_Dude
    Options
    Working out in the morning would give me the time to walk or run at night, but I just can't roll out of bed and start working out. :-(

ha ha. I know the feeling. I'm am SOO not a morning person!! I hate getting up every morning but so far it has been the key to my success this round. I know for a fact that if I was doing my evening workouts like in the past I wouldn't of stuck to it.

I don't know that I made a life change but to at least get through P90X for 90 days I'm doing mornings. I also don't push so hard for 10k steps while on P90X. There are plenty of days I'm hitting 10K still but if I'm above 8k I'm happy. If I find myself not doing other higher intensity exercise I will be holding myself to the 10k step goal a lot stricter again.
  • mets86champs
    Options
    I hit just over 2,800 steps on Kenpo.