Determining Goal Weight

Options
So, I was skimming through the twins post and I noticed a wide variance in goals weight for each given height,. How are people selecting their goal weight? Are you imaging what you'd look like with a particular number of pounds removed from your body? Is there some formula? Are you seeking outside advice when setting goals?

I personally don't have specific weight-loss goals. I joined MyFitnessPal with family members to support them in their weight-loss goals. I joined this group because it seems to suit my fitness goals, which are finally get some definition in my abs and get stronger. I recently reached my goal being able to change the 5 gallon water bottle at my office water cooler. My next goal is to be able to perform a few sets of good-looking push-ups. What can I say, I reach for the stars...

Replies

• lacaro1
    lacaro1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well I determined my goal weight considering how I looked two years ago, just want to go back to what I was before;)
  • ennovi_r
    ennovi_r Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I guess it is a little bit complicated.

I joined this site hoping to lose the 20 pounds I gained after I started working. I went from 96 to 116.
    Then, I realized that getting back to 96 is unrealistic since I was pretty young when I was that weight. So I changed my goal to 105. I've been at that weight, I know how I look and I know it is not unrealistic. This is the weight I feel comfortable at (no muffin top/no extra arm fat, clothes don't feel tight, etc.)

So I started exercising in July- something I haven't done before- and stopped overeating at dinnertime like I usually did.
    At first nothing came off, but I've now lost 6 pounds so I am at 110 (took 3 months). I still see areas that need work so I am continuing my cardio/strength workouts. I am focusing on being more fit now/losing body fat and if I get to 105 that will be awesome too. :)
  • wonderstruck91
    wonderstruck91 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    i picked mine because i wanted to get back to my high school weight. i knew i looked & felt good at that weight.
  • frcklz613
    frcklz613 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Mine is my pre-pregnancy weight, but my goal is really once the "muffin top" is gone and I can comfortably wear my dress pants for work. I don't think there's an exact science, but I know the recommended weights for me always end up equaling a tire around my middle. That's always where my weight ends up. I will always have chicken legs and tiny wrists no matter how much I gain everywhere else.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    http://www.health-calc.com/body-composition/ideal-body-weight

i started with this site - I have worked really hard to reach my ultimate goal of 190.8 pounds, i am 2.4 pounds away. ( I 'm 6'3" )

Best of luck.
  • veronicarose
    veronicarose Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    my goal weight is what i weighed 5 years ago and very skinny. :)
  • Kali2024
    Kali2024 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is my "pre-meeting-my-husband" goal weight.. I was 103 at 5'6",, BUT I have a tiny frame so anything over 108 doesn't look good on me.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is the weight that would put me within 'normal' BMI range, which is 164 lbs. I will go down to 160 just to give me some margin to compensate for fluctuations.
  • LilMissTucknRoll
    LilMissTucknRoll Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Mine is just a couple pounds under pre-pregnancy weight.
  • thezenphoenix
    thezenphoenix Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I set mine to something that I feel that I can actually get to 155 and I am starting (again) at 176 I just want to be healthy, it's not about being skinny.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I went to fat2fitradio.com. I figured out my current stats and put in what my desired body fat % is and it told me how much I should weigh for my age, height and BF%.
  • ashleydenny050
    Options
    My weight loss goal is lose 20 lbs of baby mama fat off me before summer came. I'm 5'4" and I use to weigh 131 lbs year and half ago. Now I weigh 151 and the weight is coming off quick. My motivation is my son, all he has to do is look at me and smile. He keeps me going and pushing harder on myself. Now I know I can do this and I can finally look in the mirror and say I'm a confident mama and I look beautiful. Be All That You Can Be -Army Strong
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Well my goal BF% would be 25%. Sounds like a reasonable number anyway. I am currently 34.49%! So I need to go change my goal weight to 119!

I am 37 years old, and a Mom to 5 awesome kids! I was 122 last year and happy, but went on vacation and quit logging. Didn't get back on after vacation! So here I am 20+ lbs heavier than I was last year!! :-(

I am 5'4 (ok, 5'3 &3/4!!!) and weigh 135.4 lbs.

I don't have weights to strength train with and with this many kids, you know my budget is super tight! So I am mostly doing cardio for now (c25k program), but I do you use 1 set of 5lb weights I do have for upper body toning. Just started back here 2 weeks ago and tomorrow is my weigh in day!

Would love new friends to follow and encourage, especially those that are in a similar condition as I am!