When in 2nd tri should we increase cals beyond maint?

Options
cakesmooth
cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
Hello! I am thankful and happy to be entering my 2nd trimester on Tuesday. My starting BMI (and therefore weight) was in the overweight range so my target goal has been a 20 pound gain total. I'm on track for the first trimester and am wondering at which week should I add cals. I'm currently between 1800-1900 plus exercise cals. Which week did you increase cals and for all the overweight mommas how many cals did you add? Thanks!

Replies

• Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 weeks and am still eating maintenance, plus my exercise calories (maintenance is 1800 or so for me, and if I work out, I eat around 2100). I've gained 28 lbs at this point, and hope to stay under my goal of 30.

I went into it thinking I'd add in more calories at some point, but I always feel full (even at maintenance) and was gaining the appropriate amount of weight so I decided to keep it as it was. Not to say there weren't days I didn't go over, ie: every weekend!:) It's really up to you- how full/not full are you feeling now when you eat at maintenance?

Sorry if this didn't help much- just wanted to add my 2 cents:)
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I personally upped mine at the beginning of the 2nd trimester, but I was so hungry I was eating over anyway. I don't think I needed to that early, maybe around 20 weeks when the baby actually starts putting on weight is my suggestion.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I ate at maintenance (2000 cals for me) all throughout the second and third trimesters, but on days when I was extra hungry, I went over without feeling guilty. This was my doctor's advice (I started out in the "normal" BMI range).
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Keyalus posted the link below on another post. I'm a concrete numbers kinda girl! Thanks!
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm