Just Diagnose w/ Type 2 Diabete

Hi all,

I am new to the website and not sure what I should be eating. I have been just diagnosed w/ type 2, and scheduled to go to a diabetes class but it is not until Oct. 24. In the meantime, I have been trying to eat the good foods. Went to the library and got the Mayo clinic diabetes diet book. I am worried about breads and starches. I am not a big bread eater, but can I have tortilla's? as long as there whole wheat?

Replies

• jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Before you get to the class, which will help you feel SO much more confident, the quickest recommendation I could give you would be to count carb grams. Have 15-30 with each meal or snack, and try not to exceed 30 at any one sitting. Also, the closer you get to whole grain the better, so tortillas are better than crackers, but triscuits are better, sprouted grain bread better yet, etc. White pasta, I avoid, wheat is better, whole grain better yet, etc.

That one piece can be enough to make a significant difference until you can take the class. Good luck to you! If you ever want to talk about the emotional roller-coaster of all this too, we're here!
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Welcome! Learn about the Glycemic Index and try to avoid eating carbs just by themselves. Always combine them with some protein and fat to help avoid the spikes in your blood glucose. You can also subtract fiber from carbs on the nutrition labels because fiber doesn't affect your blood glucose. Hope that gets you headed in the right direction. Let us know how it's going.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Hi Fergie416 and welcome to this group. Being newly diagnosed can be a bit overwhelming and we can all remember being there. I'm glad you have been given a date for your Diabetes Education course which is a great start. At the begining it's easy to get a bit paniced into information overload which can seem very daunting. Take a breath, step back and take time to read over the various boards on this and similar diabetes support groups on MFP. Don't try to do everything in one go, which often leads to discouragement. When you're ready to ask questions you will find lots of very supportive people on here who are very willing to share their knowledge and experience with those who are still learning. The good news is that there is lots we can do to achieve a healthy and active lifestyle. I wish you well for your future and will certainly help in any way I can.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    It doesn't matter what kind of carb you eat, whether its white, whole wheat, etc. etc. Carbs are carbs. True, there are some that absorb a little slower, that being whole grains and vegetables as opposed to something like orange juice, which zips into your blood stream pronto, but when it comes to controlling your blood sugar, you need to find out how many carbs you can tolerate at a meal and count them. MFP is awesome in that every time you enter a food, it gives you the carb count. For me, I try to stay under 50 carbs a meal, but I am on insulin, so I can actually tolerate more than someone who might be trying to control their blood sugar by diet alone. You have to figure out what your limit is.

Start by taking your blood sugar before you eat, eat your meal, note how many carbs and take it two hours after. if it is still over 130 in two hours, you ate too many carbs. If your blood sugar stays elevated no matter how few carbs you eat, then you need medication if you're not already on it.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    When I was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes my doctor recommended I go on the South Beach diet. It is a low carb diet. That changed my life. I must be on a low carb diet to control my diabetes unless I want to be on medication for the rest of my life. If I ate the amount of carbs that are recommended by nutritionist for diabetes I would be on insulin. Instead I control my blood glucose levels with my diet.
  • BertoJG
    BertoJG Posts: 27
    Fergie,

I am in a similar situation, just being diagnosed last Monday with an A1C of 10.2%.

Fortunately I had a head start in losing weight as I started eating better about a month ago and cut out all regular sodas, so I suppose my body was trying to tell me something was wrong.

I have reduced my carb intake dramatically. I used to be a huge fan of the starches, rice, bread, potatoes, etc. Now I am eating many salads and veggies, many of which I have never tried before, along with different protein sources.

I have been on my meds for a week now and my pre-meal blood glucose levels are in the 95mg/dl - 105mg/dl range increasing an average of 10 to 15 points after meals.

My doctor honestly hasn't been of much help, but I am signed up for a self management class at the local hospital that doesn't start until the end of November, so I spent alot of time online reading about Diabetes and how to change my eating habits.

Tracking my food intake with MFP has been a HUGE help in this journey and the community at the ADA website http://www.diabetes.org is also a great resource.

Don't panic, don't give up, do spend time doing some research, and also realize that different foods impact different people in different ways, so there really isn't a one size fits all food plan for diabetics.

I hope that helps!

Robert
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Hi Fergie,

The diagnosis is always really overwhelming. I remember what it was like and that was 14 years ago.

If you eat tortillas I would go for the low carb ones. You really want to be aware of the carbs in your food. MFP makes that a lot easier than when I used to have to look everything up in a carb book. The number and type of carbs you can eat are very dependent on what your body will tolerate. I hope they gave you a meter, if not, get one. Most drs. offices have a pile of free ones. You want to find one with cheap test strips because most insurance companies don't cover as many as you really need.

Test often. When you first start out you will feel like you are testing all the time because you are. Test first thing in the morning, one hour, 2 hr and 3 hr after eating a meal. You will start figuring out when your spike after eating is and then can pretty much just test at your highest point. That high point can vary depending on the food you eat and your body. Eventually you can cut back testing to a few times a day. I tend to be high at fasting so I always check first thing in the morning then test 1 or 2 more times a day at different times. I also test when I eat something I'm unsure of.

T2 can really vary from person to person. In general, watching carbs and getting more exercise can help. Losing weight can make you able to reduce your drugs or eliminate them altogether. The goal is to have controlled BG so you don't rot. If it means you take drugs than so be it.

A class will really help you learn a lot about T2 so I'm glad you have one scheduled soon.
  • Hey everyone! Crazy week last week, this is the first time I was able to get online I am keeping up on my walking, at least a mile a day. I have established a low carb lifestyle. My blood sugar has been all over the place though. I just started Metaformin and been staying away from the carbs. My doctor said that this might happen until my body gets regulated w/ med. Thanks for the support everyone, I feel alot better now that I can talk to someone about it. :smile:
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    @Fergie 416, I'm glad you have found this group helpful. You've made a really good start and provided you stick with the programme you should continue to see results. Feel free to send me a friend request if you think I might be able to help.