Hello Started SB 10/1/12

Options
Hi all I just noticed this group a couple of days ago searching for South Beach Phase 1 food suggestions. My name is Marilyn and I started Phase 1 on Monday per my doctor's suggestion. I have been losing and gaining the same 2lbs for the last 6 months. Nothing seemed to be working. I made a doctor's appointment and she really took her time to run tests and talk to me about changing the way I eat and changing my workouts to less time but more productive interval workouts. So here I am 6 days in and I can't believe I am down 6.6lbs! Amazing and so happy that something is happening. I feel really good and it is easier than I thought giving up the bread and rice. I am a Latin woman and I thought that would be the hardest thing ever! LOL! I actually miss fruit the most. But anyway just wanted to say hi to all of you and hope this is the change I needed. Thanks for all your posts I have already gotten some ideas on what other things to eat.

Replies

• meversgerd0521
    meversgerd0521 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey Marilyn,

I started phase 1 on 10/4 and also I am looking for new ideas for what to eat. Are you experiencing any with drawls from the the sugar? I am feeling shaky like when I stopped smoking. I hope this will be over soon. I am in the same boat up and down the same 2-5 lbs the last year or so. I hope this southbeach works, it seems to be so far.

Here is a recipe for a black bean soup that is very yummy:

• 1 tablespoons olive oil
    • 1 1/2 cups chopped red onion
    • 1 - 4 ounce can diced mild green chilies
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeño chili with seeds
    • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
    • 2 - 15 ounce cans black beans, undrained
    • 2 cups canned fat-free chicken broth
    • 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, green chilies, garlic, jalapeño, and cumin. Sauté until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add beans with juices and broth. Bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until flavors blend, about 15 minutes.
    Puree 1 - 2 cups soup in batches in blender. Return puree to same pot. Mix in 6 tablespoons cilantro. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls.

Serves 4.

Here is another recipe I love if you like sourkraut

Crock Pot Pork Tenderloin and Sauerkraut

Low fat, low carb meal with lots of flavor and only 4 ingredients!
    Minutes to Prepare: 10
    Minutes to Cook: 240
    Number of Servings: 4

Ingredients
    Tyson Pork Tenderloin - 1.5 lbs
    Kuner's Bavarian Sauerkraut - 14 oz can
    Hickory Farms Sweet Hot Mustard - 1 Tbsp
    Diet Mountain Dew - 1 cup

Directions
    Drain liquid from sauerkraut and place in bottom of crock pot. Trim fat from tenderloin and cut in half if necessary to fit in crock pot. Place on top of sauerkraut. Spread mustard on tenderloin. Pour in diet Mountain Dew. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.

Serves 4

Number of Servings: 4
    Nutritional Info
    • Servings Per Recipe: 4
    • Amount Per Serving
    • Calories: 205.0
    • Total Fat: 4.5 g
    • Cholesterol: 90.0 mg
    • Sodium: 776.3 mg
    • Total Carbs: 8.0 g
    • Dietary Fiber: 0.0 g
    • Protein: 31.5 g

I also made the ricotta mocha creme dessert that is in the south beach diet book, very good for a dessert.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Welcome to this little section of MFP ...... hope you like it !

For years I've flip-flopped with weight, but it wasn't until four years ago that I started following a SB way of eating ........ lost a significant amount of weight (45#) and kept it off ...... now wanting to get rid of another 10 pounds ...... SB is pretty easy ...... vegetables have become my new best friend ...... yes, there are occasional lapses of good judgement ...... but that's why I'm here ...... to tweak my meals & up the exercise ..... it's all good !

Happy losing :drinker:

Mary Ann in NY
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hi all, Im on phase 2 now, absolutly love it, I dont think of this as a diet at all, my feelings around food have changed, I now just eat clean food, nothing processed at all, thanks to phase 1 I have no urges to eat any either. I did miss fruit in the beginning so I incorperated one fruit at morning tea with some protein, cheese usually its now my ritual. Congrats on the loss. Stick around its a great bunch on this group very supportive and inspiring xxx
  • MariAOK
    MariAOK Posts: 38
    Options
    Thanks everybody! And thank you for the recipes. This is awesome to have some friends on here who are eating the same :)
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am 7 weeks in to South Beach. I'm a carboholic and never actually thought I could give up sugar or those white carbs. I reached bottom and decided it was time to at least try. Of course, those first two weeks are the hardest, so hang in there! Just over a week and yo will be able to start adding back in the fruit that you enjoy:)