back again13 years later

Options
Hi all! I posted this accidentally in the Main Forum, but will repost here, which is where I meant to!

I went onto Atkins in 1999 and lost 25 pounds. I'm only 5' 1" so this was a lot and got me into a normal but not skinny weight. I then developed cutaneous lupus and went on a med, then thyroid cancer and after two surgeries lost my thyroid and went on meds. It was then discovered that I have a congenital heart defect, and I went on more meds - three more. And to put the cherry on top, I went through menopause. Sheesh! I have gained 30 pounds and my knees hurt! So I've decided I need to do something about NOW. I've been on Atkins induction for three weeks, and also upped my recumbant biking to 30 minutes five times a week. Initially I lost five pounds, but have gained it all back in the last week. I am not counting calories, but MFP lets me know that I'm hovering around 1300 a day. Carbs are around 20 and keto sticks are moderate in the morning, and trace to nothing the rest of the day. So apparently this is not going to be an easy road for me. I'm looking for encouragement, suggestions, and motivation. I know I can get there, but it's so discouraging to watch everything sit in one place.

Best,
Joan

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've had many obstacles to get over, I defy anyone not to gain weight in the face of all that.

How are your macros as percentage of calories? I made better progress by going easy on the protein. Some people have a fear of upping the naturally-occurring fats which could impede progress.

Have said all that your medication(s) could be stalling you and this should be discussed with your healthcare professional.

Good luck with the journey :)
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    keto sticks are moderate in the morning, and trace to nothing the rest of the day.

Those are good reading on a keto stick. Even just trace amounts on the stick in the morning indicates that you are right where you need to be. You do not want to be consistently showing high ketone levels as that could indicate a dangerous situation. You only need to test in the morning.
  • jlkrahn
    Options
    I don't know what a macro is.. well, I do in IT terms, but not nutrition-wise.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    my first thought is have you had your levels checked in the last couple months? Sounds like you probably have? My mom has had her thyroid removed and when she thinks she is gaining or extremely tired her's is out of wack, good thoughts coming your way!
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Macros are macronutrients and are your proteins, carbs and fats.

Micronutrients are your vitamins and minerals.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I don't know what a macro is.. well, I do in IT terms, but not nutrition-wise.

What wfte said, it's just the breakdown of Carbs/Fats/Protein by grams or percentage of total caloric intake (carbs and protein = 4g per calorie, fat = 9g per calories ... very roughly ...).

I know the IT term too, I've been software engineering for 20+ years, Lord help me ...
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You can set your intake percentages (macros) in MFP by going to:

My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom