Tips for getting up early to fit in Insanity before work

Options
zephyrindc
zephyrindc Posts: 12 Member
Hi all,

I have done Insanity on and off for a few years... I seems to be consistent only when I have a partner to do it with me. The first time, when a roommate was into it too, we both lost 15 lbs. in 5 months doing Insanity and Weight Watchers! Glad to say I've kept off 10 of those pounds... But I really, really want to finish the whole Insanity program this time. I never made it to Month 2 last time, I was too intimidated.

The thing is, it's very hard for me to do it consistently after work - often I am too hungry, or too tired. But I am having trouble getting out of bed at 6 a.m. to fit it in before work. Anyone have an good techniques for making this happen?!

Replies

• tampajosh
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first started. I decided to do it in the mornings because that would guarantee I would do it every day. Later in the day I found that I could easily get out of it with a lot of excuses (work, tiredness, etc). So, what helped me out was this "Energy and Endurance Pre-Workout Formula," that I would take as soon as I woke up. 15 minutes later I was ready to go. You can get it here, it's also a Beachbody product: http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/EandETub?referringRepId=140675 .

Hope that helps
  • macpacman
    Options
    Go to bed early ( say 10-11 pm) so you can have 6 hours of sleep.

Set your alarm clock away from the bed.

Do not go back to bed after shutting off the alarm.

Do not give reasons for going back to bed.

Refresh yourself with a glass of water.

Load the Insanity dvds and get at it.

Source: My wife does this everyday.
  • clur85
    clur85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    As above. I do this everyday too. It's so good to know at the end of a hard days work that my workout is out of the way and I can just chill in the evenings. Keep that in mind when you're fighting with yourself to get up.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i get up at 4:30 every morning to do insanity. it sounds terrible, but it's really not!!! it didn't take very long for my body to get used to it. and i've NEVER once regretted it...so happy all day knowing i already did it.

like others have said...

DO NOT HIT SNOOZE!!!!!!!!!!

make sure you get to bed early enough...i get to bed by 9:30 so still get 7 hours.

oh, and see my picture for my profile? that's also the background on my phone. so when my alarm goes off, that's what i see.
  • zephyrindc
    Options
    Awesome, thanks everyone! I am going to make an effort tomorrow, since once again something came up in the evening that made it impossible to fit in the workout before getting to hungry! :-( But tomorrow promises a fresh start...
  • blaquebutterfly75
    blaquebutterfly75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. I lay out my workout clothes, heart rate monitor, shoes, and put the specific DVD in for the following morning laid out the night before so when the alarm goes off at 5:30AM, there's less things to worry and make excuses for not doing the workout.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    It takes a kick in the @$$... We need to tell ourself...Let's go, let's do it and push ourself to wake up.
    We all know that 2 minutes after it started...you won't think about sleeping anymore but more...OMG OMG, i wanna die lol :P

I wake up early now to do it and I feel so great after.
  • Blue_Mint
    Blue_Mint Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity each day before school (med school year 1), mostly because I will make excuses for myself if I wait to do it in the afternoon or evening. I have not missed a workout yet! Additional perks to morning exercise: I start my day feeling productive and therefore, I am inspired to work hard all day! Also, I'm so exhausted by the end of the day between Insanity and school that I sleep like a baby. I highly recommend getting up early to do Insanity. If I can do it, anyone can!
  • eksproductions
    eksproductions Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Ordered Insanity tonight, can't wait to begin!
  • zephyrindc
    Options
    I am proud to report that I've now gotten up 3 times at 6:15 a.m. to be ready to meet my neighbor for Insanity at 6:30! And you are all correct, it does get easier. I would probably never have succeeded unless my neighbor was willing to get up too, so the key was convincing her to switch from doing it in the evenings. Now we're both convinced. Plus I lost an inch off my waist after 2 weeks, and gained 1/2 inch of muscle in my biceps. Awesome! (I still hate v-push ups though.)
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    awesome!! great job!! :)
  • snipalicous
    Options
    That is awesome that you are sticking with it. I started out doing insanity in the evening after work, I quickly had to change that to in the mornings due to being a single mother of two, ball practice, homework and the list goes on. I had to make myself wake up at 5am, I am not a morning person. I do take the energy and endurance formula that beachbody has or I would not be able to function. I do though try to be in bed by 8:30 or 9:00, so I can get plenty of rest, it makes a big differnece. Some mornings I still have to make myself do my workout because i am so tired but after I start getting into it, I'm good.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Hmm - thinking I might order the Energy and Endurance formula that a couple have mentioned. I have had a huge energy problem and it sounds like that might help. Does anyone know if it would hurt to take it first thing in the mornings if I am taking Estroven PM at night? Its all natural and has valerian root to help sleep. I usually go to bed around 8:30 or 9 and I take it around 7:30 or 8:00. We get up around 4:30 or 5:00 a.m.
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I get up and do it before work when I did insanity. I am doing P90X right now but it's the same theory. I set my alarm for 5:15 and tell myself I have to get up before 5:30. Also don't put your alam close to your bed where you can turn it off while still in bed. Make yourself get up to turn it off. That helps me! Also tell yourself you won't make ANY excuses. Make sure you are going to bed in time to get up with insanity you need to get your sleep!

It also helps to have group support find people to do it with you even if they can't physically do it with you this is what has helped me. I have a group on FB I have added friends who are doing it along with me and we report to each other each day. It works for me!