First Annual MFP Power Lifting Competition held at...

Options

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    That's the gist of it, as laid out by KiltFuPanda on the bottom of Page 1, and it sounds fine to me.

I guess we don't necessarily need to get too formal with the rules, since this is all in good fun. I'm personally looking very forward to it. It's basically some 1RM testing with a little bit of sport thrown in :)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I may split up my training block and hop into some gear for a day and do all 3 lifts or something.
  • taso42
    Options
    I'm wondering if you will be the only one doing it geared.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'll be using straps and maybe knee wraps. Don't have any other gear except a belt.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    I'm wondering if you will be the only one doing it geared.

quite possibly haha. Just figured I'd switch things up, I haven't taken a geared max in months. But recently tested my raw maxes.

Plus I've never used knee wraps before, so ill just go all out, wrap up, throw my suit on and see what happens :D
  • taso42
    Options
    all's i got is a belt, so i'll be using that. hmm, straps, knee wraps.... wonder if i "need" those....
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I'll be using straps and maybe knee wraps. Don't have any other gear except a belt.

I thought Knee wraps counted as a geared lift? Does this vary fed to fed?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

I thought Knee wraps counted as a geared lift? Does this vary fed to fed?

Typically there is a "Raw" and a "raw Classic" division. One allows wraps and one doesnt.
    The current version of raw normally allows wraps.
  • Udail51
    Udail51 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    LOL I will look at the lifts. Allowed equipment varies from fed to fed. I would say knee wraps, belt, wrist wraps are all legal for raw. If you use a support suit or lifting breifs then you go to equipped. I would say lets just do single ply as there are some pretty radical suits out there.

If I see anything that looks wrong I will comment. The lifter gets the lift unless I see something that would cause a red light. ie. depth, improper movement, etc...
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    does bench have to be paused? just asking for the benefit of those of us lifting alone in a gym
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    ^^I'd say a short pause on the chest at least. Try to get ya a spotter.

Don't want anyone hitting 50 pound PRs because they bounced.
  • AlbionOakley
    Options
    fair play, I normally train TNG bench, it wasnt the spotter issue I was worried about as I'll just roll of shame no biggie :)
    just wanted to clarify
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    fair play, I normally train TNG bench, it wasnt the spotter issue I was worried about as I'll just roll of shame no biggie :)
    just wanted to clarify

haha. the good ol roll of shame.

I remember reading an article from Matt Kroc where he was talking about how he never failed bench press...until one day training alone. And he got pinned under band tension and couldn't get it off. So he had to yell for his wife hahah
  • AlbionOakley
    Options
    haha awesome. that would make roll of shame difficult!
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Youd be mad not to bench using safeties in a rack when alone lol.
  • AlbionOakley
    Options
    Theres no suitable rack in my Gym :(
    the squat rack is an angled one with non adjustable hooks, none of which are low enough to use for bench. luckily im on 5/3/1 so I only ever fail when maxing out.

To be honest I have no issue asking for a spot, its not like im too proud, its just that nearly every time I have its impossible to find somebody who wont touch the bar unless I say, its like they cant help themselves!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    I'd have them spot 2-3 of your sets. And don't be afraid to tell them how you like it. If they're actually a lifter they'll understand.

I like my handoffs to come pretty far down, I can stand people how give a liftoff over my chin then let go....
    Just tell him "don't touch the bar unless it crushes me"
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options

To be honest I have no issue asking for a spot, its not like im too proud, its just that nearly every time I have its impossible to find somebody who wont touch the bar unless I say, its like they cant help themselves!

This a thousand times over, i have two or three good spots in my gym, but its taken a year to find them!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

This a thousand times over, i have two or three good spots in my gym, but its taken a year to find them!

It's taken me about a month to teach my training partner how I want to be spotted on bench.....

apparently it's damn close to rocket science haha
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I got a freespotter a few weeks ago. $130 for a monolift you release yourself and it spots you, happy with it so far and I've loaded 630 LBS on it. I train with my brother but it is kind of hard to hold boards and spot at the same time.