First Annual MFP Power Lifting Competition held at...

Options

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I got a freespotter a few weeks ago. $130 for a monolift you release yourself and it spots you, happy with it so far and I've loaded 630 LBS on it. I train with my brother but it is kind of hard to hold boards and spot at the same time.

Never heard of this freespotter until today. I'm totally intrigued... This might be one of my next gadgets. Do you use yours inside the power rack?
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yep, I hang it from the rack so I can still use the pins, bands, etc. I just use my old bar for deadlifts so I don't have to take the new one out of the freespotter.

While I'm here, I might be in on this. Probably raw since I'm still learning my gear.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    thats pretty epic. might look into this.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I have a meet on 11/3.
  • taso42
    Options
    BUMP It's November....
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    ok so is this on? Will video any big attempts for rest of this month
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    I'm trying to tweak my programming a bit so I can get some straight weight maxes in.
    Cause I wanna do this.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I hurt my lower back so not allowed to do heavy stuff yet sorry peeps :(
  • JasonDetwiler
    Options
    475 / 355 / 525 @ 190 BW, 401 WILKS
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

nice job man. strong lifts.
  • taso42
    Options

nice job man. strong lifts.

indeed. nicely done!
  • bigknight78
    Options

haha. the good ol roll of shame.

I remember reading an article from Matt Kroc where he was talking about how he never failed bench press...until one day training alone. And he got pinned under band tension and couldn't get it off. So he had to yell for his wife hahah

If I did that with my wife I am not sure how she'd help. Have to unloaded it a plate at time of each side. Probably after she'd of taken a picture of me
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

ya know if you cut to 181, you'd be terribly close to an elite total.
  • JasonDetwiler
    Options

ya know if you cut to 181, you'd be terribly close to an elite total.

Yeah, if I hit my squat at 500, I'd have been in the neighborhood. Lots of work to do. When I started training I thought it would be really cool to go 3/4/5/...now I'm thinking 4/5/6 sounds pretty cool. Again, LOTS of work to do.
  • taso42
    Options
    Ok here's my first lift. Judges: is this deep enough?

Squat 315 lbs
    BW 153.2

scale (full disclosure: this was the morning after): http://i.imgur.com/6RvVo.jpg
    the lift: http://youtu.be/dyQCtjLdMnc
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    If we're going by SPF standards, you'd get 3 whites :D

Squat would have maybe passed from the front but you'd get reds from the side judges, IMO.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

Yeah, if I hit my squat at 500, I'd have been in the neighborhood. Lots of work to do. When I started training I thought it would be really cool to go 3/4/5/...now I'm thinking 4/5/6 sounds pretty cool. Again, LOTS of work to do.

It's a damn good total at your weight man.

I'm working towards the 3/4/5 now. It's looking like my squats and deads will be there this year, but bench is way behind hahha
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Just letting everyone know I'm still in the game - gotta represent the SHW class :D
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I vote for YouTube - for security reasons, some of us are very reserved when it comes to using Facebook.

How about this for rules:

1. You get 3 video submissions per lift (prevents people from just posting video after video of their PRs - you get 3 chances to make your max lift)
    2. You submit a photo of your weight on the scale before your first video is posted - you are then given a 5 pound variance for the month.
    3. You have one month to make your lifts (I suggest this start on Nov 1 and end on Nov 31) - gives us time to prepare.
    4. You are permitted to use lifting belts, straps, knee and elbow wraps. No squat suits or bench shirts.
    4a. You are not disqualified for using suits or shirts, but you will be set in your own division for judging.

Scores will be calculated using Glossbrenner, with the 5 pound variance stated above. This will give you a high-low range. Your range will then be compared to the other competitors.

As for judging of lifts - I'll leave that to someone else. I'll have a certified judge watching my lifts in the gym, to make sure I'm doing it right.

Quoting because its the best set of rules anyone came up with and I vote we should be running with it. My weigh in pick and first attempt vids of each lift will be up by saturday.
  • JasonDetwiler
    Options
    I'll post vids when the vid guy uploads them.