How do you adjust the calories?

Options
On my profile, it keeps telling me i have xxx calories remaining and that i have not eaten enough for the day.

I'm 3 weeks post op gastric bypass and my intake is clearly not going to be close to the average person... how do you change this?

thanks !
Jenn

Replies

• medea5
    medea5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hey Jenn.

Go to the My home tab and click Goals then the bottom of that page should be a button "change goals"
    Once you click on that you have two options of how you would like to change your goals, guided or custom. Select custom then click continue. A page with all your goals should come up with the ability to fill in what you want from calories to protein and fitness. After you're done just click change goals at the bottom of the page. The page should refresh itself and say Goals updated in red under the header. That's it. Hopefully XD
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You can change your goals like medea5 said but if your goal is under 1200, and as post GB it probably will be, you will still get the message that says you haven't eaten enough calories. For some reason MFP seems to think that everyone should eat at least 1200 cals a day and chastizes you if you don't. I just ignore anything that MFP tells me because I know what's working for me.
  • M08distel
    M08distel Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to find this group! It has been nearly 2 years since I had my gastric bypass and it has been a roller coaster ride at times. I was on some medication for another issue and gained 20 #. I have since come off the medication but am trying like crazy to get back to where I was. I still have about 10 # to get back to my lowest weight but that still leaves me with another 30 to get off. I would like that number to be larger but will not consider another surgery to remove excess skin unless it becomes a necessity. I too have found the number of calories suggested simply too high for me. I rarely go over the limit and usually am fairly under it. I just wanted to find out how others like me are handling this. Since joining this site I have lost 12# . Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    You can change your goals like medea5 said but if your goal is under 1200, and as post GB it probably will be, you will still get the message that says you haven't eaten enough calories. For some reason MFP seems to think that everyone should eat at least 1200 cals a day and chastizes you if you don't. I just ignore anything that MFP tells me because I know what's working for me.

^^What she said

Anything under 1200, even if your goal is over, MFP will chastise you. I'm less than two months postop RNY, and am 1000 to 1200 every day, and that's including 100 cals a day for all the vitamins, calcium, etc. I make sure to get my protein first, and all my other macros fall in line after that without any effort. And that's all I am able, and want to eat right now. I am also 6' 3" tall, so eventually I should be at 2000 cals or more. But right now I am losing just fine, building lean muscle, not losing it, and have no food cravings.

If you tell others on MFP that you are at 1200 cals, you will be publicly pilloried and warned of dire consequences such as "starvation mode" and possibly becoming one of the walking dead. No one who has had surgery at all recently is in danger of starvation mode. 1200 is what all my doctors and nutritionists want me to follow, so that is what I will do.

It sounds like you are doing great. Ignore the peanut gallery and the MFP legal disclaimer. Do what your doctors recommend.

(Mmmmmm. Peanuts.)
  • moe3179
    moe3179 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you tell others on MFP that you are at 1200 cals, you will be publicly pilloried and warned of dire consequences such as "starvation mode" and possibly becoming one of the walking dead.

LOL!!