how often do you IF?

Options
Just out of curiosity, how often do you guys intermittent fast? Is there a point where it is too much or too often for the body?

Replies

• LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Pretty much try to fast 6-7 days a week. Depends on my hunger and PMS hormones LOL
  • edwardhson
    Options
    I would like to think 7 days would produce the best results. First week or two was hard to transition but now its almost natural. If I'm not mistaken females can have a 14/10 to start and once your body has gotten used to the transition, the fasting window can increase. Some people do a 24hr fast once or twice a week, I think it depends on your body and what it responds to.
  • SlickDaddyCool
    SlickDaddyCool Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I try to do an 18/6 seven days a week. But normally they turn out to be more like an 16/8.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I do it seven days--but there are times when the windows get a little sloppy--but at this point it feels like it's moving into a lifestyle.
    Once I hit goal weight--I guess I will see
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Every day. Same schedule. 19/5 (5pm - 10pm ), plain, predictable, effective.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    6 or 7 days.

I tried several protocols:

July - ESE
    August - 16:8
    September - 19:5

October I'm back at 16:8 but my feeding window is 8am - 4pm. Its almost like I'm not fasting at all. One day per week I may eat an evening meal.

I wake up hungry, but I go to sleep fine.
  • alphal0b0
    alphal0b0 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I try to do an 18/6 seven days a week. But normally they turn out to be more like an 16/8.

Same for me on both. I am proud to say that since July 1st, 2012 ... I have only had one incident where I broke my fast early.
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 and try to through in a 22:2 the day after my cheat day.
  • mermer45
    mermer45 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I started 11 weeks ago doing three fasts each week of 24 hours. I,ve lost 16lbs and 6% bodyfat, so I've now reduced it to twice a week.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I am just starting this. I am astonished that one can achieve success by simply limiting one's meals to a few hours each day - astonished because I didn't know that the body would change it's biochemistry if there is food available every day! Is there any research on this?

My goal is health. Is there any research on fasting for only 1 day a week? Or do I need 2 or more days?
  • karbhat
    karbhat Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do 18:6 every day out of habit and then I just started doing 600 calories on 2 days out of my regular week. Is that the way it's supposed to be?
  • sphommavanh
    Options
    great news Youtube got a channel for Intermittent Fasting. Monks done it all their life and so have I. Personally, 16H fasting 8 Hour buffet window; skinny guy on calorie surplus; fancy scientific term for eat more.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    great news Youtube got a channel for Intermittent Fasting. Monks done it all their life and so have I. Personally, 16H fasting 8 Hour buffet window; skinny guy on calorie surplus; fancy scientific term for eat more.

Thanks.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I am just starting this. I am astonished that one can achieve success by simply limiting one's meals to a few hours each day - astonished because I didn't know that the body would change it's biochemistry if there is food available every day! Is there any research on this?

My goal is health. Is there any research on fasting for only 1 day a week? Or do I need 2 or more days?

There are two issues.

1) The behavior modification effect of limiting one's eating to a set period of time. For some people, not having to make choices about food several times a day helps them refrain from overreating.

2) There are beneficial biochemical effects from the body's being given a "rest." The theory is that it has more resources to repair problems. For a general overview, I suggest watching Michael Mosley's Eat, Fast and Live Longer, which is on the web.

How long you do it depends on what you can tolerate, the amount of weight you want to lose if doing it for weight loss, and the form of Intermittent Fasting you select. I suggest you read the Intermittent Fasting Group's FAQ.
  • CoachTommyB
    Options
    My current window eating is 20:4 fasting period with a couple of 24 hour fasting periods.I would not recommend this for everyone, and especially someon starting out. Ease into it, and make sure you get all the calories that you need and that will help the hunger. Also drink your water! The best thing you can do is drink a cold glass of water when you start feeling the hunger. Good Luck!
  • ljocker
    ljocker Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen anything that suggests any issue with a 16/8 fast system. I take off Sunday (no supplements, etc. still keep ketogenic, though) but usually just have bulletproof coffee instead of black.
  • Angelszophia
    Angelszophia Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy! I've struggling even with only 14 hr fast. Today, I made it at almost 17 hrs, I hope I could do a 20 hr fast again. I do it daily but... Sundays are harder to nail down.