juicing

Options
derfregal
derfregal Posts: 32 Member
just watched an interesting documentary on netflix about juicing and all the benefits. Anybody here have any experience with a juice fast? Tips advice warnings etc...?

Replies

• dblosmith
    dblosmith Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I tried it. I told myself I'd go a whole week on a juice diet. Went out and bought $200 worth of all the things I wanted to try. Lasted about 36 hours. :) For me personally, I can't replace solid food willingly. I'm sure it's beneficial and all, but if it doesn't work, don't fret. Also, be weary that juices are dense in calories. So make sure you're juicing low cal veggies and not all fruit.

Best of luck!!!
  • derfregal
    derfregal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    thanks for the heads up!
  • scottandrenae
    scottandrenae Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm going in slow with the juicing. I'm using for breakfast at this point, but not for all meals. I don't think I could do it all day, every day.
  • DaddyM1
    DaddyM1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing the documentary you saw was "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". I saw it too. I also tried it.

I juiced for almost 30 days. By the end, I just couldn't stand the intense headaches, caffeine withdrawal.

I can tell you that I've never had a better glass of iced tea than the one I had at the end of that.

Here's what happened to me.

I did lose weight quickly. As soon as I stopped, it came back quickly. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

It was really expensive. For me, unsustainable. Between my wife and I, we where going through about $100 worth of produce a day. I don't really know how we did it for as long was we did without going broke.

It's really hard to do. You won't feel well for a long time. Eventually you level out, but you don't feel great as the movie suggests. I found that I didn't have the energy or will to workout while doing this.

Of course, these where all my experiences. Your results may vary. I do not think it's something to be jumped into lightly. There are considerations. You will feel horrible the first week or so.

Good luck,
    Ed.
  • TheNovusVita
    Options
    I did a juice fast for a week, before I broke into temptation, however it was a great detox and kick-start to getting on a healthy lifestyle.

For me it did, boost my energy, and I slept really well, and I did workouts during the week, except not heavy lifting. Mostly cardio workouts. I kept the fruit in the juices to a low, mainly a few apples per juice the rest was mostly celery, spinich, silverbeet, cucumber as the main chunk of the juice.

As for cost, it wasn't terribly expensive for me, I just went to the market and bought what I needed for the week, cost about $130 for a week.

Only issue I had with this was falling into temptations other than that you just need a will of steel to say no and keep juicing.. if I ever do it again it will only be for 3 days at a time to just detox.

Goodluck if you go on a juice fast.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    Let's leave the fad diets for the other gender.
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What Shfiftyfive said. If a diet has a name it won't work.
  • rwatts2165
    rwatts2165 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I watched the video too. I though a lot of the info was on target and helpful but doing nothing but juice long term for me was not an option. A 3 day fast to detox is OK but unless you can juice for life then you don't need to do this. You should not do anything that you cant do every day for the rest of your life. I have one or two juices a week because I like it and its a good meal replacement. If you want to try go to Walmart. They have a great juicer for $49.95 that is plenty. You don't need all the expensive crap form the website.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I was really hoping juicing was going to be the new milking/planking or something rude...<sigh>
  • jameseylefebure
    jameseylefebure Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I was really hoping juicing was going to be the new milking/planking or something rude...<sigh>

so glad I wasn't the only one who thought that lol.