Tapering

Options
Hi everyone!

I am currently tapering for my first half marathon...and Im going nuts! Any one have any advice to make the tapering process not seem like punishment?

I understand the need for tapering, and must admit, my legs are starting to feel "rested" with the shortened runs, but its pretty tough mentally.

Thanks!

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any other workouts? I'm tapering too for my 1/2 on 10/21 but I'm enjoying it bc my IT band was shot after my last LR. I'm actually not planning on running till Sunday or Monday to help recover. I still do other cardio and workouts to keep me busy.
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    We are still running...just 1/3 to half as much. We have walked the dogs and gone on a bike ride. And we do some body weight workouts a few times a week, those havent changed. The only thing that has changed is the distance. I think its more frustrating than anything...and even with all the "rest" my legs feel worse off than they did at 45 miles per week when I do get out to run. Now when I run they feel tired and sluggish and heavy...I didnt have that problem at all with the high mileage. Maybe its all in my head :P.

ETA: When Im not running my legs feel great and rested. Its only when I run that they feel crappy.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    After 13.5 miles yesterday, I'm in the tapering phase for a half on the 21st. Still planning on running short distances (under 5 miles), riding my horse, and Crossfit.