Building an AR-15.

Options
MikeM53082
MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
Does anyone have any experience with building an AR-15? Basically buying a lower receiver, lower parts kit, and an upper receiver and putting it all together. Did you find that you saved money? Was it fun?

I'm finding it really tough to find a Spikes Tactical AR-15 complete rifle that I really like. So, I'm thinking about buying each piece and putting it together myself. I've priced it out and it looks like I can save $200-$300 bucks total.

Just looking for people's opinion to see if it's worth it.

Thanks all!

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I've done a few and Its really easy... and you get to screw the government out of the firearm tax
  • B1gH0g
    B1gH0g Posts: 361
    Options
    I highly recommend you check out AR15.com They have tons of information on building AR's.
  • alicia0416
    alicia0416 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    We built an AR-15 that way... we used cheaper than dirt to order the parts. The day the package arrived it took him 5 minutes to put it together and we were shooting... PLUS you can buy the style you want... EX: handle, the type of grips... lol

I'm a gun dork so yeah.. lol
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I know my husband built one and saved a couple hundred doing it that way. not sure on the details of it though.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    If you buy assembled uppers and lowers it's easy as pie to put together. If you buy parts kits that aren't completely together you have to have a couple of special tools.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I got $650 into my M&P sport and I adore it. Entry level or not, it is a beast.
  • sirthickness
    Options
    Haven't done one, yet. Both AR's I have were "factory" built; a Colt and a S&W M&P15. I have done some work on them like new handguards, lights, optics, etc. Looking to buy a new drop-in trigger for my S&W. Building an AR may or may not save you money but it would be pretty rewarding. I have a lot of friends who have built some really nice AR's and they run flawlessly at the range. Good luck with yours and share some pic's when it's done.
  • MikeM53082
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I think I might give it a go after I save up a little more cash. I saw some great deals on uppers and lowers on slickguns.com over the past couple of weeks.

Everyone knows the big brands (S&W, Colt, etc), but what is everyone's thoughts on smaller companies AR's, like CMMG and Palmetto State Armory. I've never shot either, but heard nothing but good things from both. Chrome lined barrel w/ a 1:7" twist for under $900.. yes please! :drinker:
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have built a bunch. It is fun to custom design your own rifle, build it and go from there.

Get an armorers wrench and lower/upper receiver blocks.

As a note- when you put the spring and detent in for your take down pins- BE VERY CAREFUL AND MAKE SURE YOU DONT DO IT IN THE BASEMENT FULL OF ODDS AND ENDS. That is called experience talking...

I think the AR I liked building the best was my wifes- I rebarreled a colt upper with a pencil barrel and swapped out her flash suppressor for an AAC blackout so she could mount a suppressor. Hers is a KISS carbine and is very light and fast (my wife is 5'2" and weighs like 110)

As for companies- I am a huge fan of Spikes lowers. Never had a problem and I have a couple of Infidel engraved ones that raise the hackles of my local jihadi's.
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    My husband wants to build one and he could guide you because he has researched it extensively. He also has an FFL so he could possibly save you money on parts. If you want to contact him he is always happy to help. his email is bdfandt@gmail.com.
  • padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    That is how we did our AR. Love our gun and saved a couple of hundred also.
  • MikeM53082
    Options

As a note- when you put the spring and detent in for your take down pins- BE VERY CAREFUL AND MAKE SURE YOU DONT DO IT IN THE BASEMENT FULL OF ODDS AND ENDS. That is called experience talking...

This happened to a good friend of mine. It was his first time and springs and parts went flying when he was building the lower. I'm sure one or two of the parts are in the belly of his wifes vacuum cleaner..
  • MikeM53082
    Options
    I'm bored and looking for a new hobby, so I've been trying to do some research on how to make the best quality rifle for the lowest amount of money. Please note, I'm not *that* much of a cheapskate. I just like lookling for deals.

Found a polymer lower receiver for under $40 bucks. Ordered.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/ati-omni-stripped-lower-receiver.html

Next couple of weeks, I'll be combing the internet for a lower parts kit and a stock for a ridiculously low price.

I'm setting the bar at $500. Finding a solid upper and still staying under budget will be next to impossible, but I'll give it a shot.

Stay tuned..
  • buffcleb
    buffcleb Posts: 150 Member
    Options

This happened to a good friend of mine. It was his first time and springs and parts went flying when he was building the lower. I'm sure one or two of the parts are in the belly of his wifes vacuum cleaner..

I have built a couple... order extra detents and springs... they are cheap... having to wait for a week because one flung across the room stinks
  • moosegt35
    Options
    I'm bored and looking for a new hobby, so I've been trying to do some research on how to make the best quality rifle for the lowest amount of money. Please note, I'm not *that* much of a cheapskate. I just like lookling for deals.

Found a polymer lower receiver for under $40 bucks. Ordered.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/ati-omni-stripped-lower-receiver.html

Next couple of weeks, I'll be combing the internet for a lower parts kit and a stock for a ridiculously low price.

I'm setting the bar at $500. Finding a solid upper and still staying under budget will be next to impossible, but I'll give it a shot.

Stay tuned..

Thanks for sharing the link to the lower. If you find some good deals on complete uppers, please share them. I am looking at building a 24" bull barrel AR.
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My first "build" was a Spikes lower and a rifle kit from Del-Ton.com- looks just like an M-16A2

I ordered it on Black Friday when they had a 15% off code.

I'm doing my second "build" slower, bought the Palmetto State Armory lower a year ago on Fathers' Day weekend.
    I think this one will be mid-lenght with Magpul MOE furniture in the Flat Dark Earth.

Just got the Lower parts kit from Palmetto State Armory today!
    Not sure about the upper, can't decide what barrel twist rate I want.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    My first "build" was a Spikes lower and a rifle kit from Del-Ton.com- looks just like an M-16A2

I ordered it on Black Friday when they had a 15% off code.

I'm doing my second "build" slower, bought the Palmetto State Armory lower a year ago on Fathers' Day weekend.
    I think this one will be mid-lenght with Magpul MOE furniture in the Flat Dark Earth.

Just got the Lower parts kit from Palmetto State Armory today!
    Not sure about the upper, can't decide what barrel twist rate I want.

What distances are you wanting to shoot and what bullet weights?
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options

I don't plan on shooting anything heavier than 64 grain
    I will likely mostly be using 55 grain ball rounds and 55 grain hunting rounds

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=797

I have a 1 in 9 twist on my 20 inch barrel and I'm happy with that.
    Just wondering why it seems like everyone is going for the 1 in 7 on the
    16 inch barrels.
  • moosegt35
    Options

I don't plan on shooting anything heavier than 64 grain
    I will likely mostly be using 55 grain ball rounds and 55 grain hunting rounds

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=797

I have a 1 in 9 twist on my 20 inch barrel and I'm happy with that.
    Just wondering why it seems like everyone is going for the 1 in 7 on the
    16 inch barrels.

My 16" has 1:9 and is plenty accurate with the cheap scope I use on it at 100 yards. I don't have any ranges longer than that close to me. From what I have read the 1:7 is better for the heavier bullets to keep them stable and can actually over spin a lighter grain bullet. I am sure it wouldn't throw it off much but I would say the 1:9 would be fine. Maybe split the difference and get a 1:8