FODMAAAAAPs

Options
alexsmith01
alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
Hiiii,
This is the best idea! So happy to be in a group with like-minded people :)
How's everyone going?

To introduce myself - I'm Alex, I live in Christchurch, New Zealand, and as far as FODMAPs go I try to avoid fructans, galactans, and fructose mainly. I haven't tested polyols formally but I avoid it anyway (it's easy compared to the others) and enjoy small amounts of lactose without issue.

One of the hardest things to go without I've found is wheat - not because I miss it (which I sometimes do), but because if you don't plan ahead, it's in almost everything! If I forget to pack my lunch or don't look up the menu of a place I'm eating out at in advance and figure out a way around it, I usually end up eating wheat - it was such a staple in my diet! And then 2 or so hours later, headaches, laziness, crankiness, bloating... it's just not worth it!

Replies

• Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Thanks for getting this group started!:flowerforyou: I am Dee from PA and I developed these gastro issues late in life due to Scleroderma, an autoimmune disease. My new gastro dr suggested I try FODMAPs mid-June and I had immediate success with the elimination and am still following it. However, we were on vacation and over the 4th and ate out a lot. I was VERY careful with my choices, but I still came home pretty sick. :cry: It's taken me a week to start feeling better again. I agree with Alex....eating out is hard because of all the hidden stuff in food. I recently found out that the secret to IHOPs fluffy scrambled eggs is a dollop of pancake batter in the eggs. :noway: Not good for those of us avoiding wheat!!!!

I am planning on introducing dairy this week because I truly don't believe I'm lactose intolerant. The lactose free yogurts have too much sugar in them and the milk tastes funny to me. I am a dairy lover so that's what I've missed most. I just bought a yogurt maker and will be making my own Greek yogurt.....another way to control sugar. Will let you know how it goes.

Dee :smile:
  • sawadoll
    sawadoll Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am still in the phase of complete elimination of FODMAPs in my diet. So it's been fun. Got 3 more weeks before I can star introducing other foods. However, I have university starting up again so I would be eating packed lunches. It was easy just making something for lunch and eating it straight away, eg soups, lettuce wraps etc. I am just wondering if you guys have any lunch ideas. Thanks in advance!
  • alexsmith01
    Options
    I am still in the phase of complete elimination of FODMAPs in my diet. So it's been fun. Got 3 more weeks before I can star introducing other foods. However, I have university starting up again so I would be eating packed lunches. It was easy just making something for lunch and eating it straight away, eg soups, lettuce wraps etc. I am just wondering if you guys have any lunch ideas. Thanks in advance!

Hi, I usually make my own lunch, I usually have a main, a fruit salad (pineapple, kiwifruit and oranges) and some rice crackers and muesli bars (I found some safe ones) for snacks. This week my main is soup, but other weeks I've had chicken or hard boiled eggs on a salad with a safe dressing (such as balsamic vinegar mixed with olive oil), fresh spring rolls, thai curries with rice vermicelli, pasta salad with gluten free pasta, or just dinner leftovers.
    Since it's winter here I almost always have soup or leftovers, but in the summer I assume I'll be eating along the lines of chicken salad most days.
    I usually cook up big batches of e.g. soup, or a roast chicken for chicken salad, or a curry or pasta and then eat it all week, I just put one portion in a container and take it to work with me and heat it up in the microwave.
    You could also have sandwiches if you found a good bread that was FODMAP free, the only one I know of that is FODMAP free in NZ is only good as toast (but it's delicious as toast) so I don't take it for lunch.
  • sawadoll
    sawadoll Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I live in NZ too! What brand is the bread? Since I am a student, I don't have the money to experiment trying bread brands.
  • alexsmith01
    Options
    I live in NZ too! What brand is the bread? Since I am a student, I don't have the money to experiment trying bread brands.

Oh wow, crazy! Small world! I eat the pavillion plain white bread - I get it from Countdown, I think Fresh Choice stock it too.
  • siddlesmom
    siddlesmom Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi I'm Leanna from Ohio. I've suffered from IBS-D for many years and now have 2 active kids and am tired of worrying about leaving the house. I recently had blood work done by my primary care doc and he says I have no "allergies" to wheat, dairy or eggs and I've done a few elimination diets on my own and haven't had much success. I just downloaded the Free At Last book and have been reading about FODMAPS. I think it's worth a try so I'm taking this weekend to prepare my food lists and shop.

I do know that coffee is a huge trigger for me. Does anyone have triggers that are allowed on the elimination diet?
  • Grandee47
    Options
    Good Luck, Leanna! I have mainly being doing the elimination since mid-June and definitely improved. I ate something at a restaurant two weeks ago and ended up quite sick for a week. This past week was better and I introduced lactose....so far so good. Because my digestive system is so persnickety, I'm taking a long time to reintroduce the FODMAPs. I'd like to find out what really bothers me. Due to gastroparesis (stomach paralysis) it takes me two days to know if something is bothersome instead of just one. Each one of us is different so I think we each have to customise the basic process to suit our systems.

Keep us posted!

Dee
  • Grandee47
    Options
    I reacted to dairy......I think. Have started elimination over again and will try dairy again. Wish me luck! :smile:
  • alexsmith01
    Options
    Hi I'm Leanna from Ohio. I've suffered from IBS-D for many years and now have 2 active kids and am tired of worrying about leaving the house. I recently had blood work done by my primary care doc and he says I have no "allergies" to wheat, dairy or eggs and I've done a few elimination diets on my own and haven't had much success. I just downloaded the Free At Last book and have been reading about FODMAPS. I think it's worth a try so I'm taking this weekend to prepare my food lists and shop.

I do know that coffee is a huge trigger for me. Does anyone have triggers that are allowed on the elimination diet?

Coffee is a trigger for me - but one that I utilise, haha. I have IBS-C, and if I think I might need to poop I'll have a coffee and it'll help get things moving! Haha.

How is the elimination diet going? It is hard but it is so worth it! I didn't end up going the full month, I went about 10 days and have managed since then on my own. I try to stick to mainly FODMAP-free food, with the occasional FODMAP. Wheat is what I'm really struggling with, because I know I can have it sometimes I end up having it a lot more than sometimes! I need to get rid of my all or nothing mentality. Everything else I've found pretty easy though, onions I've had a couple times when others have cooked for me and I've handled them a lot better than when I had them after only a couple of days of eliminating them.
  • siddlesmom
    siddlesmom Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm a snacker so not having the ease of grabbing something and eating is killing me! I have to think about it now lol! I'm down to coffee just in the morning (1-2 cups) and I can usually "get rid of it" by the time I leave the house. If I know I'm going somewhere "important" I don't drink it.

I took photos of all the allowed things on my phone and use them to consult when I'm out...thought my husband was going to die laughing.

Do you guys have a sample or list of what you eat for meals? I'm not a fan of the cookbook recipes...I like simple chicken, rice, veggie type meals but after having that same meal for 3 days for lunch & dinner I'm going a bit nuts.

I like to make a quinoa salad....quinoa (cook and then cool), blueberries, pineapple + juice to taste, cucumbers and red peppers. Dice up everything but the blueberries....mix w/quinoa and chill for about an hour to get the flavors mixed.
  • alexsmith01
    Options
    I'm a snacker so not having the ease of grabbing something and eating is killing me! I have to think about it now lol! I'm down to coffee just in the morning (1-2 cups) and I can usually "get rid of it" by the time I leave the house. If I know I'm going somewhere "important" I don't drink it.

I took photos of all the allowed things on my phone and use them to consult when I'm out...thought my husband was going to die laughing.

Do you guys have a sample or list of what you eat for meals? I'm not a fan of the cookbook recipes...I like simple chicken, rice, veggie type meals but after having that same meal for 3 days for lunch & dinner I'm going a bit nuts.

I like to make a quinoa salad....quinoa (cook and then cool), blueberries, pineapple + juice to taste, cucumbers and red peppers. Dice up everything but the blueberries....mix w/quinoa and chill for about an hour to get the flavors mixed.

The snacking thing is a big issue for me as well - haha, I think that's why it's so hard to avoid wheat, because it's in all the snacky foods. And it's hard to remember to stop and think, haha. Having the lists on your phone is a good idea! I considered it but didn't get around to it.

Ummmmm my days are very varied, especially since I'm eating low-FODMAP not elimination, so I'm eating dairy again now, but here's what I normally have:
    Breakfast - I have oats with banana and almond milk almost every day, sometimes I have GF toast with peanut or almond butter, and on the weekends I usually have eggs on GF toast or french GF toast.
    Lunch - Lunches I've had lately include green salad w leftover roast chicken, soup, quinoa & vegie salad, or a cheese GF toastie with a side of a green salad. When I'm being good and prepping my lunches in advance I usually cut up some pineapple or kiwifruit as well (fibre!).
    Dinner - Again, just what I've had lately - roast meat & veg, thai green chicken curry with rice, stir fry with rice, omelette & salad, soup & toast, GF toasted sandwiches, chicken salad, homemade GF pizza (I use a GF tortilla for the crust cos I like a crispy crust, plus low cal), rice risotto...

Other ideas - bangers & mash, stuffed chicken breast, steak w mash & salad, could sub mashed potato for mashed carrot, or a mixture of mashed carrot & parsnip, or mashed butternut squash.

For anyone on elimination, this is what my day looked like everyday, changing the proteins each day only:
    Breakfast - Overnight oats made with sliced banana & half almond milk half water
    Snack - Carrot sticks
    Lunch - Cold salad of quinoa, diced butternut squash, zucchini & 2 hard boiled eggs
    Snack - Pineapple or kiwifruit or an orange
    Dinner - Pan fried fish with half a lemon squeezed on top, with mashed butternut squash and sauteed zucchini on the side
    Dessert - Pineapple or kiwifruit or an orange
    When I was doing this I was a pescatarian so this is literally all I ate for the 10ish days I did this, but you could easily sub the eggs and fish for other proteins.
  • Grandee47
    Options
    Hi Gals!:flowerforyou:

I have been having more problems. Did well on FODMAPs for 4 weeks then all of a sudden crashed and burned. Been miserable for the last 4 weeks. My gastro dr has me starting an even more stringent program for IBS called Carbohydrate Specific Diet based on the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle. Sooooooo, I won't be reporting in any more about FODMAPs.

Good luck everyone!

Dee
  • alexsmith01
    Options
    Hi Gals!:flowerforyou:

I have been having more problems. Did well on FODMAPs for 4 weeks then all of a sudden crashed and burned. Been miserable for the last 4 weeks. My gastro dr has me starting an even more stringent program for IBS called Carbohydrate Specific Diet based on the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle. Sooooooo, I won't be reporting in any more about FODMAPs.

Good luck everyone!

Dee

Sorry to hear that! I hope everything works out!
  • Grandee47
    Options
    I will report back in a few weeks. :smile:
    Dee
  • Grandee47
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi! I am reporting back and am happy to report that altho the road was bumpy the first week, I am doing quite well on this SCD way of life. :happy: I am on Day 23. If you are trying to lose weight as well, you will definitely do it on this diet and believe me, there is not one morsel of food that is not good for you. I will put the info below that you should google.

:smile: SCD Specific Carbohydrate Diet - for people with IBS, Celiac, Ulcerative Colitis, SIBO etc. - you basically detox and then add foods back in It's definitely a commitment, but if you're desperate, you don't care!

:smile: grain free, lactose free, nothing processed (but you use almond flour to bake yummy breads etc and you make "24-hour yogurt" which is delicious and lactose free)

:smile: Important book: Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall

When you google "SCD Specific Carbohydrate Diet" or "Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall" all kinds of good sites come up with wonderful recipes.

There is a whole support community out there via a blog called BTVC-SCD

:grumble: If you are still suffering, at least look to see what it's all about.:noway:

Dee
    Gastroparesis/SIBO
    SCD - Day 23
  • rhoad1ml
    rhoad1ml Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello!

My name is Meaghan, I am residing in Indiana, USA. I have been diagnosed with Lymphatic Colitis, Severe Lactose Intolerance, and underlying IBS. My gastro doctor suggested that I try the Low-FODMAP diet because of my bloating (or as I like to say my 5month old child) and problems with cramping and extreme stomach pain and discomfort. I went off all dairy, butter, and eggs at first and was put on a perscription that cleared up my colitis for now. But even with excluding dairy I was still having bloating and major discomfort (very embarrasing for me when I get a new client who asks me when I'm due lol). Since off the perscription I am able to go back to eating a low-fat yogurt but that is about it in the dairy department.

I am joining the group for some help and encouragment because even though I am on this new diet I occasionally am still having bloating and stomach discomfort and did not know how long it would take to see a difference. I am noticing certain triggers (coffee..darn you!) and I am wondering if too large of a portion of fruit or veggies is causing my bloating as well. If any of you have suggestions or words of wisdon about this new diet I would greatly appreciate it!!

Hope everyone has a great week!
  • Grandee47
    Options
    Meaghan

:flowerforyou: Best wishes for a successful experience with FODMAPs. If it doesn't work, do look into SCD. I'm on week 7 and have my life back.

Dee:smile:
  • emilykburkholder
    emilykburkholder Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Emily from the US and my doc recently put me on this diet after years of pain and discomfort. Definitely have to rethink the way you look at eating. I love baking and cooking, so it has been somewhat fun to come up with new ideas and recipes. The only real issue is having to make the food you can eat. That is definitely time consuming. I am loving spelt flour to replace wheat flour in baking. Haven't had as much luck with rice flour and haven't tried almond flour. Spelt flour is a type of wheat but it is supposed to be gluten free some doctors are okay with it on the low FODMAP and others aren't. So this is one you'll have to try. If you guys want recipes let me know. I was very excited to find a group on MFP.:smile:
  • lafresita
    Options
    Hi Dee, how are you going with the SCD? I am seriously considering trying this very soon.... Like you I had initial success with low-fodmap but then crashed and burned, and had to go on corticosteriods for my UC. Have you followed it 100% including bone broth and yoghurt? I would love to hear your thoughts....

Bianca
  • Grandee47
    Options
    Hi Bianca!:flowerforyou:

I have started my 10th week today and I am a believer! bigtime! :laugh: I would be happy to discuss SCD with you. If you want, we can do it through PMs or start a new thread dedicated to SCD.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Dee:smile: