Frustrated!

Options
I am getting so frustrated with this process. I first went to my PCP in October of last year to discuss weight loss surgery. By the time the whole referral process ran its course, I got a call from the surgeon's office in the middle of November. I have to have a six month supervised diet, supervised by my primary care physician. Back to her in December..... Fast forward six months. The bariatric program just needs my medical records from my PCP...Two more months and I have finally been approved to have RNY Gastric Bypass. At just the time I am about to schedule the surgery, I find out that my insurance is going to start approving the vertical sleeve procedure. Can I just switch? Of course not. They won't start approving the procedure until October. Wait two more months. Have to redo some of the tests that were done early in this process including testing for H Pylori. Turns out that now its high and I have to go see a GI first. Ugh.

I know some people go through this for years but I am just really getting frustrated.

Replies

• moe3179
    moe3179 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I understand being frustrated with the wait. I went through the whole process in 2006 (6month "diet" and all) just to be told my BMI wasn't high enough for 5 consecutive years. Needless to say I was pissed. So in 2007 I found a new surgeon and started the process again. It felt like forever. I think it took close to 11 months to actually have the surgery. I'm coming up on my 4 year surgiversary on October 13th and it's the best thing I've ever done for myself! Why did you decide to go with the sleeve instead of RNY? I had the RNY.
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, it will be worth it in the end!! I am 5 weeks post RNY and have lost 50 lbs, and had no complications and no pain.
  • stephanielindsey
    Options
    Complications with malnutrition and dumping really frightened me. I was going to do it anyway because I really need the help. The VSG tends to have just as good weight loss success with fewer complications.

Thanks for the encouragement.
  • BubblySharon
    BubblySharon Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I first asked my doctor about this almost 3 yrs ago. I just had my first appt September 26. I am now doing the 6 month prep as well. I understand your frustration!
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Complications with malnutrition and dumping really frightened me. I was going to do it anyway because I really need the help. The VSG tends to have just as good weight loss success with fewer complications.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Avoiding the sugary, fatty foods is your best bet for avoiding dumping - though anything really can trigger it (for me it's eggs and meat!).

Your vitamins and everything are monitored so closely for the first year post-op, that you shouldn't worry!
  • stephanielindsey
    Options
    OMG and now apparently I need to see an endocrinologist bc my thyroid is messed up. I did not have any of these problems a year ago. How has trying to be healthier made me sicker?
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    OMG and now apparently I need to see an endocrinologist bc my thyroid is messed up. I did not have any of these problems a year ago. How has trying to be healthier made me sicker?

pre-surgery, I was healthy. I had no health problems whatsoever other than being overweight.

I am now iron-deficient anemic, hypoglycemic and running a risk for diabetes.

You really have to ask yourself if it's worth it in the end.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am seeing my surgeon on Monday for my first visit. You can be sure that all these frustrations you have all raised will be discussion points with him. I will have to say I am getting much more feedback with "I wish I did this 20 years ago" rather than "I wish I never had this". I don't have alot of other risk factors such as the sleep apnea, diabetes, ulcers, etc. I do have HBP and high triglycerides. Will certainly weigh the risks. I am excited about Monday!!
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I know it's frustrating to wait, but if you want to feel more in control of the process I suggest you start to incorporate as many post-op habits into your life now so that when you do finally have surgery, you will have already conquered some of the most difficult hurdles. Even if you don't yet start reducing your portions, start weighing and measuring your food. Start to practice eating slower, taking smaller bites. If you don't drink enough water start increasing your water intake. Start or increase consistent exercise, even if it's just walking. This is definately the time to make sure your head is in the right place for surgery. Just don't allow yourself to feel helpless about the process, your ultimate success still depends on you and there are so many changes you can make in your life right now that will help you later. Start with small changes now and you may start to lose even before surgery.
  • Crazyassmomof5
    Options
    I just had my last appt. today to finish up a 3 month program. I was told that i was all cleared for surgery but the only thing i was waiting for was the center to get there COE through Medicare. Now my wait went from the 3 months required by Medicare to maybe another 3 months waiting for them to be approved. So now I'm on a call list for when the get the approval. It really sucks to be at this point in time.

* COE- Center of Excellence
  • stephanielindsey
    Options
    I am also insured through Medicare. I was required to do a 6-month diet however once the bariatric center got all my paperwork, it only took insurance about 2 weeks to approve the procedure. Right now I'm really wondering if deciding to change procedures was really the right decision...
  • Crazyassmomof5
    Options
    Right now I'm really wondering if deciding to change procedures was really the right decision...

You got with the procedure that you feel comfortable with. The one that you wont regret later on after the fact.