TOPS in Parades?

Options
Harlemite
Harlemite Posts: 62 Member
Do any of your groups participate in local parades? If so, what theme (if any) have you used?

Replies

• Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    None in our area have to my knowlege, but it is a great idea.
  • Harlemite
    Options
    Our group is participating in our first parade in October. We are getting T-shirts made for the parade (as well as TOPS rallies/recognition days)...should be interesting at any rate! :happy:
  • Harlemite
    Options
    Our TOPS Chapter participated in our local "Oliver Hardy Parade"... We ordered red T-shirts with black lettering and the printer created a design for us with TOPS and a black bowler hat over the "O" - really cute. We used the bowler hats as Oliver Hardy always wore one. (Laurel and Hardy were comedians - Oliver Hardy was born in Harlem, GA - our hometown.) We all wore black pants and sported Red shoelaces in our shoes (that we all received for participating in our last challenge).

One of our members' son-in-law drove a truck and pulled a trailer for our non-walkers to ride in. The rest of us walked. We made banners for along both sides of the trailed that said TOPS - TAKE OFF POUNDS SENSIBLY and a large sign for the back that said our chapter lost 564 pounds so far this year.

I found participating in this event created a greater camaraderie within the group as well as pride in "showing off" our TOPS Chapter. It also brought unity/identity since this is the first we've had T-shirts made for the group (that I know of). So we now have our group "uniform" of our red TOPS T's, black bowler hats, black pants and red shoelaces...LOL.

A great way to get the TOPS name out there!

Hope this helps for another group!

Elaine/aka Harlemite