Protein Shakes

Options
Just curious if any fellow Paleo-er's drink protein shakes or use protein powder.

I know I should focus on getting my protein from real foods, which I typically do for the most part, but there are some days where I just fall short of my goal. I have a relatively large "tub" of Isopure's Whey protein and used to have a shake daily (after crossfit) but stopped when I was doing the Whole 30. I dont want to waste it, but I'm not entirely sure if I should re-incorporate my post-workout shake either...

What are your thoughts on bending the Paleo rules to include whey protein?

Replies

• rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    If you don't have issues with dairy then why remove it? I think that paleo is good to find intolerances and realize how you can actually get by without a lot of processed foods. As far as paleo goes, supplements are some of the most processed foods so it really doesn't jive with paleo in that regard.

The end result of my paleo era was a nice compromise of a mostly whole foods approach to eating, supplement when I have to, not feel guilty about the occasional beer or cake or ice cream, and enjoy my food.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If you can tolerate dairy and the protein shake does not include anything you don't want in it (fillers like soy, preservatives, artificial sweeteners or the like), I'd say go for it. That being said, in my experience it was difficult to find a protein shake that didn't have anything like that in there. A good person to ask about the best brand to use might be Amy (username 4milesat40, the founder, moderator and administrator of this Paleo board) since she regularly used them before embarking on her Whole30 recently.
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I use a rice protein powder post strength training 3 times a week and am still losing weight consistently (and more importantly adding muscle) as I am casein intolerant and can't do dairy. I feel I need the extra protein and I see it as a healthy treat post-workout rather than eating some meat/eggs I simply don't feel like eating.
    I use Sun Warrior, which has minimal additives (Ingredients in chocolate variety are: Whole Brown Rice 99% (Bio-Fermented Raw Sprouted Whole Grain Brown Rice), Cocoa <1%, Pectin <1%, Xanathan Gum <1% (Natural Bio-Fermented Stabilizer), Stevia <1% (Natural Sweetener).
    The natural variety is 100% Rice Protein, but I love my chocolate!

I don't believe you have to be 100% paleo or worry about "bending the rules", as it's all about how your body benefits and the way you feel, not how others perceive you. There's no Paleo Police who are going to reprimand you for doing what suits you.
    As long as it makes you happy and healthy, that's all that matters!
  • hleva
    hleva Posts: 8
    Options
    I drink Shakeology shakes, it is a quick easy meal replacement.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I don't do protein shakes personally.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've got no problem with protein shakes. Then again, I'm more Primal than Paleo, so it may not matter what I think - not gonna stop me from sharing my opinion, anyway.

There's no real shame in using one. Whether it be whey, egg white, rice, whatever - if your goal is to get that protein to your muscles quickly after a hard workout, then by all means use one. I'd never use it as a meal replacement; typically after a workout (like today - my legs now punish me) I'll just have a scoop in a bottle I'll shake on up in the changing rooms and down it there, then walk (or, limp) on down to McDonalds down the road for a coffee and a meal of grilled chicken/steak/goat/whatever and sweet potato chips. Hell, can even mix any remaining protein liquid into the coffee, if you're feeling "kinky".
    Protein powder's also brilliant to bake with, if you're into that. Couple of scoops, couple of eggs, maybe a bit of buttermilk and - bam! - protein pancakes. Goes brilliantly with banana fried into it, and blueberries if you're using vanilla.

I don't see why there would be any reason to not use one, even if avoiding dairy, because, well... it doesn't really seem like dairy. I've never really had a protein shake and tasted/felt any comparison to a glass of milk, or cream or a piece if cheese. Just think of it as... raw cow milk that... uh... dried up in the sun because the calf was being really picky that day, and then later on you stumbled across it (after a hard day of lifting rocks, climbing trees and, uh, stuff) and just scooped it off the ground and ate it. Om nom. How nutritious and convenient.
    Yep. Pretty legit?
    But seriously, If it's really a big deal, you could just make your own. Eggs work brilliantly.

My only real complaint with protein shakes would be how they always seem to explode when I shake them, Every single time. Though that me be on behalf on the cheap shaker I use. Ah, well.
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was in The Vitamin Shoppe buying Coconut Aminos today and I bought some Grass-Fed Whey Protein Powder Vanilla Flavor. Ingredients: Whey protein concentrate, natural vanilla flavors, stevia leaf extract, sunflower lecithin. I haven't tried it yet. I like to have protein powder on hand for quick breakfasts sometimes.
  • don883
    don883 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes, using unsweetened almond milk.
  • casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use Tera's Whey Protein...
    I was using it with unsweeted almond milk or unsweeted coconut milk with some fruit blended in for breakfast... but now I only use it with the milk after kickboxing or lifting a few times a week.
    i dont rely on them as heavily as I used to but I dont see anything wrong with using them.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I use an egg, egg white, MCT oil and stevia blend I buy online (truenutrition.com). Effectively, these are all things I'd eat anyway, so... I'm good with that. I just don't really know that I could dry eggs in my dehydrator (though I might try it out of curiosity).