failure

Options
eschorre
eschorre Posts: 185 Member
Does anyone else out there feel like such a failure? I seem to lose the same 4 pounds and gain them back plus some. I can't seem to get back on track and have some MFP friends that seem to easily lose weight and just stop eating when they are at the allotted calories for the day, and why won't my brain work that way and why do I let myself overeat? Each week I will have a good 3 days and then blow it and can't seem to get out of the binge cycle. I feel like once again, I am starting over--and I can't tell you how many times since JUNE I am telling myself this. That is the other thing, I have been tracking since June and as of today gained 4 pounds--I didn't have a good eating day, wasn't a binge but wasn't good choices, a lot of sugar and carbs. Well, I guess here is to a new day!

Replies

• fingerhead123
    fingerhead123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I constantly feel like that and have the exact same experience. I think the trick is to get beyond the yucky failure feeling.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,353 Member
    Options
    Oh Elizebeth. :ohwell: Well as you can see I am in the same boat sorta :) I keep gaining and losing the same 10 pounds for the whole year. I wish I could help you feel better about this but I can't offer you any suggestions I have not already offered.

The difference between us is I am not beating myself up for they yo yo cycle I am on because I know one day I will do this. When I am sick of it I will get past 10, 20, 30 pounds lost. Each day I have to believe it is the day.

You are doing great just by not giving up!! :flowerforyou:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I think the trick is to get beyond the yucky failure feeling.
    Yes that is one of the keys for sure!
  • eschorre
    Options
    Thank you both so much. I am feeling better, having had a 2 good days but am very aware right now that I am tiptoeing on dangerous territory since it is hard for me to get past 4 days of no binging. I know everyone has their own struggles in life, but man it is hard when food is yours since you are always surrounded by it and you HAVE to eat!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Yes that is what makes bingers and food addiction different from any other is there is no way not to eat like other addictions. Drug addicts just go cold turkey. Achololics do the same and even people who binge drink. Same deal but we have to learn how to manage BED and food addictions and will never be able to go cold turkey like others but we can become excellent managers if we keep the faith and accept our plight. Fighting acceptance of this is another issue. The more we accept it and move forward the more positive we will feel about this issue and life struggles surrounding food because food is in every social part of life.

Yes Elizebeth again we HAVE to eat! :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • imtriagain
    imtriagain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I feel the same at the moment. I was out for lunch yesterday and even in the company of others I seemed to be the one eating most of the bread and the shared food plates. When someone suggested sharing a dessert my insides seemed to scream out 'no I want my own'. Then I came home and kept eating. I too have been wondering how some people seem to be absolutely fine with not bingeing or over eating. Sorry no advice but I completely understand where you are coming from.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Food for Thought…..

What will you think?

I've learned that negative thoughts are inevitable.. the negative thoughts

about myself will always come and try to scream louder than the Truth that

is in all the positive things about Me.. So I write down my attributes, my

accomplishments, my victories great and small, and I Speak them aloud.

I give them a Voice, I give them MY VOICE, the only voice I will

not reject and something stirs in me as I continue to read and speak about

Myself. A power rises up in me, a realization, a strong assurance and

boldness now carries the sound of Truth about who I am and what good I

have done and continue to do, it shouts back at those negative thoughts and

words that might circle in my mind attempting to belittle me, trying to chip

away at my worth, my ability, my reasons for striving. My Voice is the

weapon that is cutting away and drowning out the lies, the half truths

and the distorted images, My Voice speaking about Myself to Myself in a
    Positive way renders those negative thoughts powerless. It is said, there are

at least ten negative thoughts per one positive thought, but I have learned

One Positive Thought can birth a Hope that creates a Visions that breeds a

Plan that Produces the Results of a Dream that was once just a Thought...

All I need is ONE.

- Be Free My Friend from self hating hurtful thoughts, Only You can change the way You think and feel about Who You are and what You are capable of.

MFP buddy of mines
  • eschorre
    Options
    Food for Thought…..

What will you think?

I've learned that negative thoughts are inevitable.. the negative thoughts

about myself will always come and try to scream louder than the Truth that

is in all the positive things about Me.. So I write down my attributes, my

accomplishments, my victories great and small, and I Speak them aloud.

I give them a Voice, I give them MY VOICE, the only voice I will

not reject and something stirs in me as I continue to read and speak about

Myself. A power rises up in me, a realization, a strong assurance and

boldness now carries the sound of Truth about who I am and what good I

have done and continue to do, it shouts back at those negative thoughts and

words that might circle in my mind attempting to belittle me, trying to chip

away at my worth, my ability, my reasons for striving. My Voice is the

weapon that is cutting away and drowning out the lies, the half truths

and the distorted images, My Voice speaking about Myself to Myself in a
    Positive way renders those negative thoughts powerless. It is said, there are

at least ten negative thoughts per one positive thought, but I have learned

One Positive Thought can birth a Hope that creates a Visions that breeds a

Plan that Produces the Results of a Dream that was once just a Thought...

All I need is ONE.

- Be Free My Friend from self hating hurtful thoughts, Only You can change the way You think and feel about Who You are and what You are capable of.

MFP buddy of mines

WOW!!! This is awesome, it brings tears to my eyes. I am going to read this daily!! Thank you so much for posting this Mollie!
  • annehart00
    Options
    Hey. I'm a recovered (I guess that would be the term) binge eater. It took me about three months to get on a roll (lots of reading and weekly therapy sessions). After the initial three months, I've had 1 binge in 9 months - because I hadn't eaten for a couple days due to food poisoning.

I did a few things to overcome my issues. Take or leave any as you wish:

1. I saw a therapist
    2. I stopped logging my calories. Every time I would log, i found myself getting competitive and neurotic. I would cut and cut until it was too low (some days below 1000) until ultimately binging after losing a few pounds.
    3. I focused on nutrition. I read up on all type of vitamins and minerals (and how they helped the body) and then tried to get all my nutrients from food.
    4. I started eating 300-400 calories for breakfast instead of skipping or the previous 100-200
    5. If I wanted junk, I ate something nutrient dense for each serving of junk I ate.

I did this until my eating habits normalized. Some weeks I would take in more calories, some weeks less. At most I would over-indulge. For the 1st time I could keep a pint of ice cream that lasted more than a night or two. I did this for awhile because I was afraid of relapse or that I was being over-confident. Meanwhile as I felt more secure, I slowly decreased the amount of times per month that I saw my therapist. This month was my last visit . I've now joined MFP with a modest weekly weight loss target. I won't be weigh myself unless my clothes get loose and I think i need to find a new maintenance level.

This time around, I feel very good about tracking my food. I see it as meeting my nutritional/health goals rather than getting skinny. So that's my story. I hope it helps.
  • annehart00
    Options
    Also, I cried my little heart out the first time I thought about getting off the diet roller coaster. It was so scary and I was afraid I would lose control and get even larger. I thought, geez if this is my weight when I try, what will happen when I quit. 9 months have gone by and nothing happened. I didn't blow up. Looking back I can't believe how scared I was to not diet and how relieved and happy I feel now.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your story with us Anne!! Can you post it on the conversation thread also? And congrats on recovery too!!
  • annehart00
    Options
    Thanks. I re-posted on the other thread.
  • eschorre
    Options
    Yes, thank you so much for this!!! Very helpful and I am so happy for you. :-)
  • BreeNJesse
    BreeNJesse Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Sadly I struggle with this daily and the my self realization is food has taken place of my drug and cigarette addiction I've managed to quit.....ugh! Just can't win sometimes. After coming to this conclusion today I realize this will be another habit for me to break!
  • Tobethin608
    Tobethin608 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Oh can I comisurate! I have been very good for 5 weeks! Had to go away for a work conference for 3 days and just can't seem to stop! I hate what I have done and yet don't stop! Someday this will hopefully be over come! :sad: