What is the dumbest thing you've done at the gym...

Options
redfroggie
redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
Following on Pete's story about the iPhone it made me remember the dumbest thing I did at the gym. So what was the dumbest thing you have done? It doesn't necessarily have to be at the gym, maybe on a run/walk outside or while working out at home. Here is my story...

I almost drowned on the elliptical.
Yep that's right, drowned. Now you may say to yourself, "self-how does one nearly drown on a machine that isn't near water and is bolted to the floor?" Well I'm here to tell you.

I was on my second day at the gym. My instructor had shown me the elliptical on my induction day and I fell in love with it. So I tried to remember all the safety instructions he gave me, how to program the machine, posture etc.

Not wanting to look like a newbie (never mind my brand new sweats and shoes and towel...) I plopped my water bottle in the holder, draped my towel on the handle, put in my head phones and hopped on. I got it started, turned up the tunes and was on my way!

Well I got thirsty, so I grabbed my wide mouthed bottle, popped the cap and went to take a swig....just as the handle on that side was coming back at me...I failed to move out of the way, the handle hit my elbow and upended the water bottle into my mouth and nose!!!
So for the next 10 minutes I am a sputtering, coughing fool. EVERYONE was watching me. I had water everywhere, all down my clothes all over the elliptical, it was awful and I wanted to crawl in a hole.

So that is my dumb moment, what about you???

Replies

• holographic
    Options
    I think the dumbest thing I ever did was, to show you how to use the elliptical on your induction day...
    Should have saved that for another time :p
  • redfroggie
    Options
    I think the dumbest thing I ever did was, to show you how to use the elliptical on your induction day...
    Should have saved that for another time :p

:laugh:
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Lol! I can just imagine it - how funny! Thanks for a good laugh to start the day (ok, ok, late up today .. it is Saturday!) :wink:
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's the dumbest, but I had a good one today.

I was working on my cleans with my coach, and he wanted me to be more aggressive in my pull for the next lift. I forgot we were only warming up, so there was only 60kg on the bar, and pulled the bar so hard, it flew up and hit me right in the windpipe!

I barely managed to stay concious and catch the bar, and have a nice red line and bruise across my neck, and feel like I've got a sore throat. Been hitting the ibuprofen and strepsils all day today!
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think the gym might be a rather dangerous place - good job I don't go!
  • redfroggie
    Options
    OUCHIE Dan, that sounds painful! I hope it's better soon. Yeah MummaSue it's a plethora of disasters just waiting to happen...well for me at least LOL.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    The dumbest thing I ever did was look at "The Stairmaster" and think, "That looks interesting" - I lasted about 2 minutes.

NO!!

THE DUMBEST thing I ever did was get on the crosstrainer and decide that my HRM must broken when it went to 160 in 2 minutes - next day I was admitted with with bilateral pulmonary emboli.

How I didn't die in that hour at the gym is a mystery.
  • redfroggie
    Options
    The dumbest thing I ever did was look at "The Stairmaster" and think, "That looks interesting" - I lasted about 2 minutes.

NO!!

THE DUMBEST thing I ever did was get on the crosstrainer and decide that my HRM must broken when it went to 160 in 2 minutes - next day I was admitted with with bilateral pulmonary emboli.

How I didn't die in that hour at the gym is a mystery.

OMG Hugh that's really scary! I'm glad you're okay....you are okay now, right?
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I'm fine - just not very bright, obviously - but thankyou for your concern

6 months Warfarin and I'm all mended - popped my hip again 6 weeks ago but it's getting better - did 90 minutes at the gym this morning and only managed 130 on HRM and that was after 30 minutes