Swearing.. yea or nay?

So... not trying to cause another sh*tstorm two days in a row...but here ya go anyway.

Do you swear at work? In public? On a date? Do you look at men and women who do similarly or not?

The following article concerns swearing, etiquette, gender and work politics. Decidedly feminist slant. Funny as hell.

Now let's all play nice.

http://jezebel.com/5951388/****-yes-you-should-swear-at-work

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    I consider myself a casual cusser. I don't think about swearing, if it just seems to fit then it happens all on its own. As a receptionist I do not swear within hearing of the owner of the company (who has the office RIGHT next to me) and not in front of my boss (unless we're at an office party) and certainly not in hearing range of customers. Everyone else knows I have a filthy mouth and no one has yet complained about it. IF someone does, I will no longer swear in front of them. I also do not swear in front of children, unless they're in a PG-13 environment anyway (Oh, you brought your three-year-old kid to the new batman movie? Yeah, welcome to the real world kiddo). That's the parents choice, not mine.

I have no problem with swearing, and if someone (that I care about for one reason or another) asks me not to swear and I find it a reasonable request then I do stop around that person. I do not judge people for not swearing.

I do not swear (as much) if I am having a serious debate because I feel like saying "politicians" or "taxes" (and other comparable terms) covers enough dirty language for me.
  • TheKitsune6
    Just finished that article... utterly brilliant.
    But let's not break down etiquette advice by gender. Telling ladies how to be ladylike is just another way to bully them into shutting up, and shame them for expressing emotions. And there's a word for that: bull****.

Phew, thank you for that. That was amazing.

Also: I totally swear on dates (what you see is what you get f*ckers). Hasn't turned them away yet. Except one dude, he asked me to stop swearing because he didn't find it attractive, after I had put on my profile that I swear like a sailor. So I reminded him of this and continued on as things were. Then had the audacity to ask me on another date? No thanks.

*kitten*, I swear in front of my parents. They swear right along with me. It's great. One of my favorite quotes from my mom is "F*cking stop f*cking swearing so f*cking much!"
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    At work...yes,probably too much.

In public...very little,just consider it a respectful thing to others.

A date...well since I am looking to move far away from where I am I don`t date but no,unless it was comfortable for all and even then would not cuss like a sailor.

It makes no logical sense so won`t even try to rationalize it,just a feeling I have in that it is not polite or appropriate to use coarse language in the presence of a lady.
    Others can think differently,and is fine to.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    I actually never swear at work, rarely in public, and not on public forums much (here/FB etc.). However.. with those that know me well I do. And reading it in articles makes me laugh a ton.

I actually have a real problem in that I commute sometimes with a very, very religious lady. There is crap traffic and I'm driving.. and so for some reason.. I start in on the religious swears(which I never say normally anyway)..with the VERY person I shouldn't. Why? Why? Brain sabotage. Sigh.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    This attitude really, truly and utterly p!sses me off:
    It may not seem like it from my posts on ATL, but I tend to hold women to a much higher standard than I do men - which is probably why I get so enraged when women do stupid things.

Holding women to a higher standard in the work place is one of the best ways to keep them down. Gender bias is still alive and kicking, and there's going to be no way to get that glass ceiling lifted for women who have to achieve more and meet a higher standard than the men they work with.

I swear at work... rarely. I do at home or in the car alone frequently. Otherwise, it depends on the company. I swear around my parents, but there are some words I don't use in front of them (and one word I find so repugnant, I never use it and never want to hear it).

I wouldn't swear on a job interview and I thought it was highly inappropriate when a (male) candidate did so twice during a search at my old company. I wouldn't swear on a first or very early date either, but some language is eventually going to come out. Hopefully, you find someone who has a similar use of vulgarities. My new guy is teaching me all the French curses and words for people's naughty bits that didn't seem to be in my Catholic high school curriculum for some reason. :wink:
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    I like the article, very funny.
    Personally I find TOO MUCH cursing from male or female to be unattractive and shows lack of intelligence..
    That being said..it's "too much" that bothers me, for example people who can't say 2 thoughts with out "f uck or S hit" in it.

I curse at work, I've cursed on dates, in front of friends and with strangers. With work its rarely with patients..its only with co workers just in idol chit chat and never with management. On dates its really more when we get comfortable and it just comes out. And with friends its just random part of typical conversation. Cursing is a stress release. But I don't do it all the time.
    I don't think it makes me any less lady like..or professional (unless I did use that language with patients...big no no).
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    The quotes in the article about women holding other women to a higher standard are pretty much hammered into us since birth, and not regarding swearing specifically, but everything. I work with small groups of kids, and I feel like I spend a lot of time fighting my instinct to let boys get away with more disruptive behaviors than the girls. Ugh- I hate that I have to be super conscious of it.

I swear. I swear at work with adults when it's safe/appropriate. I swear with my friends when it's sometimes inappropriate. I have finally succeeded in getting my mom to try some baby swears. Right now, I effing hate my dog because she just peed in my daughter's room. I swear at my dog pretty constantly (with love).

I tend to gather women friends who swear- they seem to have less control issues than the ladies that I've known who don't swear.
  • TheKitsune6
    I actually have a real problem in that I commute sometimes with a very, very religious lady. There is crap traffic and I'm driving.. and so for some reason.. I start in on the religious swears(which I never say normally anyway)..with the VERY person I shouldn't. Why? Why? Brain sabotage. Sigh.

Oh man, the one type of swearing I don't find appropriate for casual cussing is racial/homophobic swears because they are nothing but hate. Of course when I was hanging out with a few debate buddies and an openly gay friend I started doing an impression of a homophobic redneck and dropped F***ot, I NEVER use that word (I don't even feel comfortable putting the edited version). I stopped immediately and got really red, tripped over myself apologizing while he was trying to tell me he knew I was just being funny and it was fine. I still cringe at the memory. Guh. Brain sabotage indeed.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Do I swear? **** yeah! I'm Australian.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    In public, no. At work: absolutely not I will not swear in front of patients. At home: occasionally if I'm passionate about something I'm talking about.

Frankly, I think both men and women should clean their mouths out more when they are in public. The things you hear in public are nuts. Just this past summer I almost confronted two males for swearing while I was with my dad and sister, but just as I turned around they got up to leave.

It's just about respect in public. Do what you want at your home, but be respectful and don't swear in public. You never know who is listening and who might be offended. Plus it is just common courtesy.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Do you swear at work?
    Rarely. I work nights so there isn't that many peeps around period. In building I work in there's 3-6 people total. Even less on the weekends, 2-4. I rarely swear over work related things too. When I swear it's mostly it's because of MFP. I am forced to use IE7. Yes, I know it's very outdated. Many websites don't work or are really laggy. When I have a lengthy post typed up, MFP sometimes glitches on me and I have to start all over from scratch. :grumble: My co-worker, a woman in her early 50's, she drops bombs at her computer all the time. I've had to calm her down when she can't get her PC to bring up the news and other things. :laugh:
    In public?
    Again it's rare. I try to be careful around little ones.
    On a date?
    Ha ha ha....I wouldn't remember it's been so long. :frown:
    Do you look at men and women who do similarly or not?
    I'm trying to understand this question. Do you mean if I look or think less of someone who does? No, not at all. Male or female, it doesn't matter to me.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Sure I swear. But it depends on my mood. I'm more likely to swear when angry/upset/passionate/drunk!

My parents never swore in front of me and I never swore in front of them. I think I learnt all my words at school.

I think there are inappropriate times so I will always tone it down - at a client's house, but no problem with my co-workers if I'm annoyed at something. Not in front of children. Not in a church. Not with elders.

I dont have a problem swearing in public if the need arises, especially at a football game, or on a date if there's a story to be told. But I wouldn't like to be on a date with a guy that swore every 2 seconds. I've known guys like this and I find it unnecessary and it actually detracts from the conversation. But I do live in East London and people swear a LOT round here! So I'd say my tolerance is quite high, and when I say every 2 words, I mean every 2 words!! lol

I kinda think that everyone in the world swears at some some point, so those words are almost like a universal language and shouldn't be taken too seriously!! Unless you're being swore AT, in which case, that's serious :noway:
  • TheKitsune6
    when I say every 2 words, I mean every 2 words!! lol

That's true of any word.

I am more likely to be annoyed if they say "like" or "you know" all the time, or talk in questions. People that swear can generally turn it off or on, but people that say those... it's more like a tic than expression of any real meaning. If someone was incapable of controlling themselves swearing that would bother me as well, but it's just not as common as, "like, we went to the store, you know, to pick up stuff?"
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member

That's true of any word.

I am more likely to be annoyed if they say "like" or "you know" all the time, or talk in questions. People that swear can generally turn it off or on, but people that say those... it's more like a tic than expression of any real meaning. If someone was incapable of controlling themselves swearing that would bother me as well, but it's just not as common as, "like, we went to the store, you know, to pick up stuff?"

I thought all Americans started a sentence with 'like'!!! :laugh: :wink:
  • TheKitsune6

That's true of any word.

Like, TOTALLY!

Oh wait, maybe that's because I'm from So Cal, hahahah!
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    I swear like a drunk on a bender lol... I swear in front of my children and have told them when they are grown they can use grown -up word. Whats funny is watching them edit the cursing part out of songs when we are listening to them. WHat a 6 yr old sing highway to hell and not say hell its funny. I curse when conversing with my patients because most of my patients drop curse words every other word. The funny thing is most of them are more comfortable with me because I "relax" my language around them. Now I do not curse around my bosses because they are of an older generation and would frown on it. I also cure in 2 languages lol. If i hust myself (i.e. stub my toe) I will string together every curse in now in spanish. It usually sends people into gales of laughter. I also curse at my electronics (I think it makes them work better ). I have never had anyone ask me to stop cursing and like I said I try to be respectful of the older generations
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612
    I think swearing offends me most when the swearer is not aware of his/her audience...in public where people not intended to hear it, especially children or others who will be offended by it. Or when it is used like ketchup (smothering everything else) rather than seasoning (lightly and judiciously sprinkled).

I find I swear often in the car (stupid drivers) and whenever I talk about me ex. Don't get me started. Which means, I swear in front of my counselor, my friends, etc.

Personally, I love British swear words because they don't seem naughty to me. And I loved the way the movie "Fantastic Mr. Fox" used "curse" in place of swear words. I thought that was funny. "Curse you!"
  • TheKitsune6
    I also cure in 2 languages lol. If i hust myself (i.e. stub my toe) I will string together every curse in now in spanish.

German is also excellent for this tactic!
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member

That's true of any word.

Like, TOTALLY!

Oh wait, maybe that's because I'm from So Cal, hahahah!

I met with a student Thursday who kept throwing "I mean" in his sentences so much, I wanted to scream stop!!!! He used it three times in one sentence, spaced with one friggin' word!! I know he's using it as filler in his sentences because he's not taking time to think what he wants to say before saying it - it's just babbling.

Last week, I spent 10 minutes in a Starbucks line on campus with an extremely talkative girl standing behind me, telling a story to her friend that like made my IQ drop like 20 points by the time I like got to the register, you know? So Cal girls! :tongue: :wink:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Funny I just thought of this. I was looking at Pinterest, and one of my pins that people have been repinning says, "Excuse me, will you shut the f#$k up? This is my favorite part of the song." Someone commented on it, "Please leave this kind of language off of Pinterest, it ruins it for other people." I don't particularly love swearing as I said above, but that is an example of someone dramatizing it too much, am I right? Someone wrote back, "People can pin whatever they want."