The opposite of stress eating?

Options
mycrobemini
mycrobemini Posts: 122 Member
Hi all, I've been reading a bunch of people's posts about stress eating, and I wonder if I'm broken. I stop eating completely when I'm stressed. I head to my comfort foods when I'm sad, but when I'm stressed I don't want food at all. This may seem like a good thing, but I tend to eat too little. So much so that it took a month of regular logged eating and exercising to convince my body it was OK to speed up my metabolism to normal levels. If I stop eating regularly it will go back to that turtle speed, and I'm stressed all the time!

So what are your favorite stress relievers? I need some ideas to get off this stress roller coaster.

Replies

• emd528
    emd528 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise? Getting all sweaty really helps me relieve stress, and it helps speed up metabolism, too (obviously). Even if I don't break a sweat, walking around the neighborhood and listening to music helps me calm down.
    I don't do it much anymore, but journalling helps me let out my feelings. It may seem silly, but sitting and watching tv while doing something with my hands (knitting, painting nails, etc.) helps me relax, too.
    Hope one of these ideas helps!
  • softdemonplaya
    softdemonplaya Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    your not broken at all or I would have to admit that I'm broken as well. I have been stressed all week, the first three days I couldn't keep food down because of it, and then the rest of week I could only get a little down at a time. For stress relief I exercise and write. It seems to work for me.
  • lorrainzander
    lorrainzander Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I've been reading a bunch of people's posts about stress eating, and I wonder if I'm broken. I stop eating completely when I'm stressed. I head to my comfort foods when I'm sad, but when I'm stressed I don't want food at all. This may seem like a good thing, but I tend to eat too little. So much so that it took a month of regular logged eating and exercising to convince my body it was OK to speed up my metabolism to normal levels. If I stop eating regularly it will go back to that turtle speed, and I'm stressed all the time!

So what are your favorite stress relievers? I need some ideas to get off this stress roller coaster.

So interesting, because the last two days have been the exact same way for me. I have been upset and stressed out these last few days especially, mostly because of work and have not been eating my calories. And I know that I end up suffering in the long wrong because of it. This morning I woke up feeling more optomistic and decided that I am going to treat my undereating the same as my overeating, which is to try and move on and forgive myself and try better today and the next time the same circumstances occur to do better. Taking a nice long, leisurely walk is a good way to relieve stress for me and clear my mind and just taking a few minutes to sit down and chill or a cozy cat nap.