Got my Fitbit average for about 2 months. Cut from that?

Options
candicejn
candicejn Posts: 458 Member
Hello :)

I've tried EM2WL in the past, but gave up after not seeing any results on the scale. I'm sure I didn't give it enough time. I'm an 'instant gratification' kind of gal, unfortunately. Well, I went back to 1360 net calories for a month and lost my energy, gained inches in places I know can't be from muscle gain, didn't lose any weight, and feel crappy overall. I also started binge eating at night again at least twice a week (I'd be out of calories, but eat 500 - 1000 calories in one sitting, no matter how disgusting I felt). I'm sure it was from feeling deprived. So here I am again.

So - I got a Fitbit in the beginning of August. I just did the calculations, and my average daily burn for the past 2 months is 2650. When I decided to up my calories again earlier this week, I went up to 1600 net (I don't usually burn more than about 200 - 250 on workout days - so the most I would be eating is about 1900). Based on the TDEE cut you all recommend and seem to have good results with (20%), I should be eating 2100 total as long as my burns aren't crazy.

I also looked over my workout records, as I've been "maintaining" since Spring and discovered that I stopped losing right around when I switched to mostly cardio to complete C25K and never really switched back. This was after doing weight training for several months before and seeing good results (just DVDs with hand weights/body weight exercises, nothing heavy). I feel weaker, more "jiggly" and like I said - I've gained inches in a few not so happy places (stomach and ribs - so I know it's not muscle!!).

I guess I just wanted to have some people tell me I'm looking at the numbers right :D I'm trying to decide if I should reset as well. I'm seriously considering eating at TDEE for the rest of October. I figure it can't hurt to try it for a few weeks, then cut back down. I will hit 365 days of MPF logging tomorrow, it might be time for a diet break.

Thank you!! :)

Replies

• nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think doing a reset sounds like a good idea if you've stalled out Candice. And this time stick with it.....I know how HARD that is. You want to cry, scream, pull your hair out, punch a wall....but it is soooo worth it once your body finally gets with the program and starts realizing that you are not starving it. And I think the switch back to strength training is a great idea!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Reset for at least eight weeks and consider adding weights to your routine. Glad you are giving a go again. This isn't an instant fix for sure but so rewarding.
  • laurae
    laurae Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit as well. I have recently tried just using the Fitbit and not recording my exercise in MFP. If yo have your Fitbit settings to lose 1 pound per week, and follow what the "Food Gauge" tells you on the Fitbit Dashboard, you should be okay. If you plan to use the MFP site more, then perhaps set your calories for 2000 - 2100 and then do not eat back exercise calories and just try to aim for that calorie goal daily. If you don't start losing with that amount of calories, perhaps you do need to eat at maintenance (which is about 2600 for you) for a week or so, then cut back to the 2000 - 2100.
  • laurae
    laurae Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Oh....and start lifting those weights again!!!!! I like to try and work each body part at least twice a week. Go as heavy as you can for the amount of reps that the DVD you are following does.
  • candicejn
    Options
    Thank you for the replies! I'm not sure what I'll do, but I am leaning towards a 2 - 4 week reset.

Scary but I am ready to make some major changes, since what I've been attempting to do just isn't cutting it :)
  • candicejn
    Options
    Well I just set my Fitbit and MFP calorie goal at 2500. It's incredibly scary. I need to remember to stay off the scale until the end of the month - when I'll cut down about 10-15% for the rest of 2012. I'll re-*kitten* on January 1st!

My body and mind need a break. Now I just have to really focus on eating good foods, and not filling my day with junk.
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're definitely on the right track now!! Great work :)

You also need to start measuring with more than the scale. Eating more + heavy lifting will usually give you no change on the scale, or even an increase (like me). You need to look at inches & photos. Sometimes even inches stay the same while composition and appearance changes, so photos are one of the best progress tools you can have.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Definitely get out the camera and measuring tape and measure your hips and waist. I've upped my calories from 1200 to 1600 in the last 3.5 weeks and was feeling so discouraged and bloated and gross this morning. I measured my waist and had lost 1.5 inches!! Crazy but true. I've dumped the scale as well. It's a terrible gauge. Good luck. I think you're on the right path with a reset. And yes, lift those heavy weights.
  • candicejn
    Options
    One week of reset ---

Hovering around 5 - 7 lbs gained which I'm sure is from water from increased calories and adding strength training back into my week (sore muscles all week - I love it!).

My energy level is awesome. I was able to run faster on Friday during my treadmill workout than I have in months.
    My pants are looser. Yes, looser. Even with a 5-7lb gain on the scale. Weird!
    I'm not as cranky.
    I'm able to drink my coffee the way I want again (I'd cut back due to calorie restrictions - I won't be doing that again, I'll work it into my day :D) This makes me happy.

I'm planning another 10 days of reset and then starting with a 10% cut and seeing how my body responds. Hopefully this will be a good thing!
  • braves1girl
    braves1girl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's a good thing already!:wink: I am in my 3rd week of cut and stupid me didn't check the calendar, so for 2 of the 3 weeks I have been PMSing!!! :explode: Oh well, I still feel soo much better! It's so nice to be able to eat like a "normal" person and not have to fret myself over it!

It sounds like you have the right frame of mind! :smile: That's the most important factor in this journey! Just keep on keepin' on and you will reap the benefits for life! :drinker:
  • candicejn
    Options
    One more week of eating at TDEE and I'm going to cut and get back to losing (hopefully). I'm still up about 5 - 7 lbs. But some of that is woman hormone junk, so I'm trying not to think about it too much. :D

So for those of you who use a Fitbit, do you still just pick a target based on averages and hit it daily, or do you go by the Fitbit numbers each day?