I can't keep up!

Options
13»

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    When my sister and I would do our chores, mom and dad let us blast music, sing and dance. As long as we got it all done they were fine having fun with it. We'd toss laundry in piles to the beat, boogie around with a broom and one time I did drop a dish as it slipped from my hand while spinning but we cleaned that up too ;)

:laugh: This is awesome!! Reminds me of that movie with Cher (name of which escapes me?) :bigsmile:
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    When my sister and I would do our chores, mom and dad let us blast music, sing and dance. As long as we got it all done they were fine having fun with it. We'd toss laundry in piles to the beat, boogie around with a broom and one time I did drop a dish as it slipped from my hand while spinning but we cleaned that up too ;)

LOL I still blast music when I clean. The kids expect it now. We always joke that the neighbors know when I'm cleaning cause we play the music really loudly
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

LOL I still blast music when I clean. The kids expect it now. We always joke that the neighbors know when I'm cleaning cause we play the music really loudly

Hell yeah! And dancing while cleaning burns more calories too!

@Anna - Cher was in a movie? O___O;
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    Options

Is there any other way to clean??? :laugh: You have to make it fun for them, that's for sure!
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    I am afraid though, that if I don't get control of the mess, he will learn that a messy house is acceptable.

You just have to ramp it up over time. When my son was 3, he did “cleaning” that wasn’t real (that is, I would clean with him). Then, when he got older I would make him do some things knowing I’d have to go behind him (like vacuuming and his room and the car). Now, he does his bathroom, his bedroom, the backseat of the car (and wash the car- but most kids think that’s fun, not work) and I’m having him “wash” dishes that I’ve already cleaned or are only lightly soiled. Soon he will wash them for real.

As he’s became more capable the house is cleaner overall because I have more time for deeper cleaning elsewhere. He’s now used to a “guest ready” clean house where the only constant offender is dishes in the sink.

Now that he’s become quite a social butterfly, the impact of having a clean house when friends show up is a huge motivator!

I agree. I started my kids young. First, they had to pick up their toys. The older they got, the more responsibility they were given.

I have 3 kids. They outnumber me. I work as a teacher. (And before anyone thinks that means I only work from 7:30-3:30, please just save it. LOL ) I leave my house around 6:00a.m. because I commute to work about an hour each way. I am not one of those teachers who sits behind a desk while her students do busy work. No... when my students are in the room, I don't even have a desk. I teach. I do what I'm supposed to do. Which also means I have a TON of work to do later. I stay at least an hour or more after the students leave, which puts me getting home around 6:00 p.m. a lot of times. Sometimes later. Of course, there are the doctor's appointments and the parent/teacher conferences (for my own children) and football games and other activities which I have to be the parent for. Anyway, what I'm saying is... I'm busy. Always. I don't watch T.V. I couldn't even tell you what is popular on television right now. Yes, I get on here sometimes to unwind... but, gosh, we all need some unwinding, and this at least gives me a sense of interaction with other adults.

Back to my original thoughts... my kids have to help. We chose not to move again (due to other circumstances, we had to move twice last year). So, with me commuting to and from work, my kids know they have to help. Do they always do it without me griping about it? No. But they do help. They each have responsibilities.

There is no other parent in their lives. Their father died about seven years ago. They do have grandparents, but not the kind that are involved in everything. Both of my parents are older and have health issues. They have helped in the past as much as they could, but now they really can't help much. We do live on their dad's mother's property, and she lives right across the drive with her husband. She helps in the sense that she is always here. If I work late, the kids can go get a snack at grandma's house, and if an emergency happens, she is over there.

So.. I understand your dilemma. LOL But I really like P's advice. Sometimes, we have to downsize, make our lives a bit simpler, just so we can function and maintain sanity.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

Yeah, she's been in quite a few. Have you never seen Witches of Eastwick?? I guess you were an ickle baby when that was out.... ahhhhh :smile:
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options

Yeah, she's been in quite a few. Have you never seen Witches of Eastwick?? I guess you were an ickle baby when that was out.... ahhhhh :smile:

I believe the movie you are talking about is mermaids.
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Yep! I love that movie... wanted red boots after that, haha, well, that and Footloose! I still don't own red boots!

I couldn't agree more with Marc that a clean house is a wasted life. I can't even imagine how single parents do it. Just keeping up with me and the dog is exhausting. Great sharing of ideas :happy:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

Yeaaaah, that's the one!! With a teenage Winona Ryder too!! :flowerforyou:
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I applaud single parents. I have a hard enough time with just myself, and the 2 hours (1 hour each way to work) with my 8 hour day, clean and take care of my animals and still find time to work out.

I was dating a single dad, and I never once asked to be placed first, because I know the kids should come first. But I can see how dating can be an added stressor on top of everything else.

Kudos to the single parents! :flowerforyou: