Vegetarian

Options
miss_erynn
miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
Has anyone turned vegetarian since surgery?

I have (sooo sad...miss chicken so much) as ALL meat gives me dumping. I made the change 4 months ago and I am almost 7 months post-surgery now (as of October 23).

However, I am experiencing with all the "mock" meats with soy products but find some days I am lacking in protein. I DO NOT like protein shakes, they make me throw up. Bars are good, but not everyday....they get sickening after a while.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Eggs and Dairy
    •Egg, large - 6 grams protein
    •Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
    •Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
    •Plain Greek Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
    •Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
    •Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
    •Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz
    Beans (including soy)
    •Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
    •Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
    •Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
    •Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
    •Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
    •Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams

I hate protein powder mixed with water, but I love it when mixed in other things like sprinkled into oatmeal, sugar free pudding, in a shake blended with soy milk, a spoonful of canned pumpkin, a tablespoon of plain greek yogurt and a little cinnamon.

Also, you did not mention fish. Does that cause dumping also? Steaming it may be something you could tolerate.
    You may want to google vegetarian recipes and see if there is something appealing to you that way.
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    Eggs give me dumping...the worst case EVER.
    No dairy, except for Greek yogurt and very light, low-fat cheese (like Babybel and Kraft Singles light). Def can do cottage cheese.
    But I live on beans.... they go in everything....and I'm sick of them.
    Drink soy milk everyday - even my "creamer" for coffee is soy.

Scared to try lentils.....on their own. In soup is okay though.

I just feel like I'm stuck and need to change foods around in my diet.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention how you feel about fish......
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    Oh I thought I wrote about it.............

I can stomach tilapia, tuna and shrimp. No other forms. In fact, if I could avoid fish altogether I would prefer it..... but I need it omega 3.

I'm very afraid to try other forms of fish and seafood.... I've never been big on it and, in fact, I hadn't eaten fish from 8 years old to 24 years old. Most of them taste terrible (to me) and the smell just makes me gag. Even the smell of tuna makes me gag.
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    One of my support group meetings I went to, there were several people there who had become vegetarians due to not being able to tolerate meat anymore. So it can be done.

I don't know how in contact you are with the dietitian and surgeon but they would be the first people I would contact about getting ideas of how to incorporate more protein and work with your vegetarian "diet" now.
  • eringooden
    eringooden Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I am post op, by 8 years. i went vegetarian not due to gastric bypass, but choice. I like quinoa. I use it in a lot. Its a great protein. I make stuffed peppers with it. I also use TVP (texturized vegetable protein) in a lot. If I make veggie soup, i add it to it. Steel cut oats with tvp. You dont taste it. Its deyhrdated and can be used in so many ways. Bob's Red Mill TVP, is what I buy. The faux meat is ok...Im not a huge fan, although Ive found a few things I will use like light life beefless beef tips. Anyway gpod luck , hope this helps :happy:
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    TVP eh? I might look around my local Whole Foods for this because I don't think I have seen the Bob's Red Mill version in my local grocery store.

Thanks chicky!
  • veggibus
    veggibus Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been adding unflavored protein powder (the Unjury brand is good) to soups, oatmeal, yogurt, etc.
    It adds a little bit of a grainy texture to creamy soups (i.e. I noticed the difference in Amy's Organic Tomato soup), but when I add it to oatmeal or foods that already have some texture, I don't notice it.

Give it a try!
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    TVP eh? I might look around my local Whole Foods for this because I don't think I have seen the Bob's Red Mill version in my local grocery store.

Thanks chicky!

Saw the TVP....a little high in calories for me.....I'm trying to stay at 1200.

Unjury is not sold in Canada, at least not in my city.
  • veggibus
    Options
    I buy my Unjury products online: http://www.unjury.com/

However, I'm not in Canada, so I'm not sure what their international shipping policies are... :(
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    I buy my Unjury products online: http://www.unjury.com/

However, I'm not in Canada, so I'm not sure what their international shipping policies are... :(

Usually ridiculous amounts! I wanted to buy some of the foods from Bariatric Choice. In the states: free shipping. To Canada....shipping, duties AND taxes. So my $30 order is now $75, which is crazy.
  • veggibus
    Options
    Yikes! I'm sorry to hear that.

It was my nutritionist that recommended Unjury unflavored to me. Maybe your nutritionist can recommend a brand of unflavored protein powder that is available in Canada.

Good luck!