Fitbit - what are the benefits?

Options
I have been pondering getting a fitbit but really undecided as to what the benefits are. I know a few of you use then so I'm wondering if you can help me please?

I am still struggling to eat my calories (on hold at the mo & plan to be better at this when I get home) and didn't know if the FB would help with me monitoring the right amount of calories I need to be aiming for.

I increased my calls to 'cut' a couple if months back & while I'm happy with the extra energy & losing inches the scales have stuck - happy enough wih this but I'm worried I'm not doing it right.

To make matters worse I now see there is a choice of Ultra, One & Zip :noway:

Any advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated. Tnx

Replies

• oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    not to add more confusion to the issue LOL but why have you decided on the fitbit as opposed to BMF?

I don't have either just wondering what makes people choose one over the other :)
  • fuzzyslipperz
    fuzzyslipperz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    not to add more confusion to the issue LOL but why have you decided on the fitbit as opposed to BMF?

I don't have either just wondering what makes people choose one over the other :)

BMF has a monthly subscription fee and fitbit does not. Plus, the fitbit is smaller and more easily hideable (although also easier to wash or drop in the toilet LOL).
  • tcat2012
    tcat2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit ultra and love it because I know what my TDEE is every day and can adjust my calories (slightly) if I need to. On days that I do not exercise, I make sure I get at least 10,000 steps, which gives me a tdee of 2150; on days that I do exercise I also get in the 10,000 steps, giving me a tdee of 2400 or higher. I have been using it since May and recommend it highly. Before fitbit, I had "dieted" my whole life on very low calories, now I feel much freer to eat more without worrying. I do not use the sleep tracker...the new less-expensive model has no sleep tracker. Another benefit--when on vacation (and unable to workout) I quikcly realized that all the walking/sightseeing added up to over 20,000 steps per day--keeping my tdee well up there. It counts miles too which is fun. The only thing that it can't do is calcuate calories burned for workouts (I use my HRM for that and then enter it as activity on fitbit's website). I do not have fitbit linked to MFP...tried that for a while but didn't really like it. I like to keep my MFP calorie goal the same every day.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit Ultra (it was bought before the others were available and for me I had to chose between fitbit and BMF. BMF is much more expensive and I didn't want to have to pay the monthly subscription). For me it's pretty much the same as the PP. I try to keep above 10000 steps a day - happens without trying on gym days and on non-gym days I'm usually about 1000 or so short so I go for a short stroll to top it up.

I love being able to get a good estimation of my TDEE so I can make sure I'm eating enough calories. I like having the 'proof' about how much energy I'm using as otherwise I would have been quite nervous about eating the amount I do now.

As for which fitbit to choose if I were buying one now, I'd go for the One. It's essentially an updated version of the Ultra as it has all the same features but is also water resistant - useful for people that sweat a lot or for wearing in the rain, etc. I believe they've also improved the clip making it more secure to wear and less likely to fall off.

I'm not convinced by the Zip as it doesn't have all the features that make fitbit stand out from regular pedometers as that's essentially all it is. It cannot measure inclines and does not do sleep recordings. If I just wanted a basic pedometer I could buy one much cheaper than the fitbit Zip.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Didn't know about a BMF but monthly subscriptions don't sound good.

So am I right in thinking the fitbit will use my personal data and give me my TDEE based on my personal data & activity levels?

Tcat - I use a Garmin HRM to calculate calories when I run/cycle but it doesn't work out cals when I do an exercise class - I had presumed the fitbit would do this :ohwell: Which HRM do you use?

I see the One isn't out til later this month (in UK) at least, so while I make up my mind I might wait & see if the ultra drops in price or there may be a few come up 2nd hand if people decide to upgrade. Thanks all :-)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    So am I right in thinking the fitbit will use my personal data and give me my TDEE based on my personal data & activity levels?

Yes, fitbit will calculate your BMR in the same way as MFP does, based on your stats. It will then show you your entire calorie burn for the day (the days runs from midnight to midnight so unless you're up late you have to wait until the next morning to look back and see what the final burn was. However you can get a rough idea in the evening as once you know roughly what your RMR is on fitbit (mine's around 60 cals per hour) then you know how many more you'll burn between going to bed and midnight). Once a week I get emailed a report giving me my total burn for the week too so I can divide it between 7 to get an average TDEE.
    Tcat - I use a Garmin HRM to calculate calories when I run/cycle but it doesn't work out cals when I do an exercise class - I had presumed the fitbit would do this :ohwell: Which HRM do you use?

fitbit is only really suited for exericise activities and sports that involve walking or running. Other activites that use energy not associated with steps are calculated less accurately (e.g. cycling, weight lifting) and its not waterproof so cannot log swimming. Therefore you can log these activities separately on the fitbit website (as you do would for MFP) using either their calorie estimates or your readings from a HRM (I use a Polar FT4). You can also sync fitbit to MFP, in which case you log activities on MFP and it is automatically copied across to your fitbit account.
  • Lisha_R
    Lisha_R Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I bought my fitbit Ultra after my HRM (polar FT7). I use my HRM to track my lifting, walking or zumba. I have found the fitbit calculates my calories when walking the same as my HRM. which is nice to know if I forget to bring it. You just put it in stopwatch mode and it will keep that activity for you. I do link it with MFP and it calculates my calories in and out. I can see weekly how much I expect to lose.

I wear it all the time. A few times I have not made it to the gym in time. I have young kids and need the child care to exercise. I use the stair function and just walk my stairs for 30-60min. I get a good workout and it counts my stairs climbed for me. I do find my HRM calcalates a more accurate burn because my HR gets up there (140-150). You can get a good burn by walking 50-100 times. I would recomend getting the new one. Being water proof would be more helpful.

I calculated my TDEE scooby workshop and my Fitbit activity is right on. That was nice to know I estimated correctly. My TDEE on scooby was 2753 my calories burned on my fitbit was 2400-2800 so very close.
  • Dot2Dots
    Dot2Dots Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question ! I too, am trying to decide if a Fitbit would be something for me as well. All great information !
  • tcat2012
    Options
    Didn't know about a BMF but monthly subscriptions don't sound good.

I see the One isn't out til later this month (in UK) at least, so while I make up my mind I might wait & see if the ultra drops in price or there may be a few come up 2nd hand if people decide to upgrade. Thanks all :-)

I have a 'my mio' wrist hrm, which wasn't too expensive (amazon) and seems pretty accurate. For a 40 minute aerobic/circuit style workout, I find the fitbit calculates about 120 calories less that the HRM (for example my HRM will tell me I burned 350 cals, but if I check the numbers on the fitbit it will come to 230)...and that's because the fitbit counts steps but no other activity. So I just add an the 120 activity cals to the fitbit website. I don't think an HRM is 100% necessary (got mine before the fitbit) because you could always just estimate based on MFPs activity calculator and you should be pretty close. The numbers I get from my HRM are usually pretty close to what I got with MFPs activity calculatr. And of course running/walking is calculated just fine on fitbit.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

FitBit will give good estimate for all the walking type activities as mentioned.

For your non-moving parts of they day, they got your stat's of age, weight, height and so know your BMR, and estimate resting metabolism, and fill in that part of your day.
    For that though, they do use the least accurate Harris BMR calc, and if you have a decent bodyfat % estimate and your Katch BMR estimate, you could be very much off, and from what I've seen, the FitBit is over-estimating calorie burn if you are overweight, just like the Harris BMR estimate is inflated.
    But depending on your exercise, it underestimating there may just balance out.

Not sure why you don't think the Garmin HRM would work outside of running/biking? Which model do you have?
    It'll read HR no matter what you are doing.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    bump.....
  • geordiegirl27
    Options

Not sure why you don't think the Garmin HRM would work outside of running/biking? Which model do you have?

I have the 305, I've tried it a couple if times while at an exercise class and it doesn't give a cal burn just a time. I've tried it on general & other settings :-( I did expect it to work. I'll maybe check the instruction booklet when I'm home.

Thanks for the additional advice - still unsure if I need it :-/
  • Lisha_R
    Lisha_R Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have the 305, I've tried it a couple if times while at an exercise class and it doesn't give a cal burn just a time. I've tried it on general & other settings :-( I did expect it to work. I'll maybe check the instruction booklet when I'm home.

It could be that your chest strap was not tight enough. My thoughts are that your watch was not getting a consistant reading and could not calculate your calories burned. I have had this happen a couple of times. I usually rewet the strap and readjust the size and postition again. I always test to make sure its reading my HR before starting. I have a polar and you can see at the top of the screen when the watch recieves my heartbeat.
  • heybales
    Options

Nope, it won't give a calorie estimate on that model, which bases calorie burn totally NOT on HR, just pace/distance/time.

But - take your avgHR for the class when you do wear it, (it still works for HR), and use the spreadsheet linked here.

HRM tab, fill in stats at top, get VO2max estimate figured out, do section on HRmax, and then at the bottom is your personal calorie burn chart based on Polar funded study.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • geordiegirl27
    Options
    Ohhh does that mean my cals are not right when I run & cycle? Crikey this gets so confusing :-/

But thanks for the link I'll use that for my burn for now. Cheers
  • heybales
    Options
    Ohhh does that mean my cals are not right when I run & cycle? Crikey this gets so confusing :-/

But thanks for the link I'll use that for my burn for now. Cheers

Decently accurate for running, as weight and pace is most important. Your personal efficiency on running can make you vary around the calc'd values. Walking would be best.

Cycling is tad more iffy. Was that 14 mph avg because you are slow and taking it easy, or a headwind the whole time pushing really hard?
    Was 25 mph avg because of pushing hard, or downhill or tailwind and really easy?
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I am a BMF, i never heard of fitbit before when i got mine, so i do have to pay the monthly subscription, but i love my armband. I like being able to see how many steps Ive taken and cals burned a day. And the reports it gives you is pretty cool too. It seems these things are basically the same thing so if the fitbit is cheaper I would just go for that :) hope you get it, i think it was a great investment :)
  • geordiegirl27
    Options
    Heybales - would I not get the dames issues cycling with the polar or fitbit?

Bellamarie - I've searched for BMF to no avail, do you have a link like to review all my options.

Thanks again
  • tcat2012
    Options
  • heybales
    Options
    Heybales - would I not get the dames issues cycling with the polar or fitbit?

Bellamarie - I've searched for BMF to no avail, do you have a link like to review all my options.

Thanks again

Not sure what dames is - but Polar would be more accurate than Fitbit for cycling, as a Fitbit on the hip or sleeve would see very little movement when biking, it can't see your legs moving around. And if you take the suggested option of putting it on your feet, it's doing calcs based on that movement being running. Very short soft steps if you think about it. Not found to be anywhere close.

Polar must be one with VO2max stat though, FT40 I think is cheapest. Low HR doesn't indicate easy effort if you are fit. It just means your heart doesn't have to beat as fast to deliver required oxygen for the effort, compared to before.

So the cheaper Polars really start losing accuracy as you get fit and your VO2max goes up and the HRM has no way of knowing that because it's not a stat, it's an assumed calculation off your age, weight, height and HRmax.

Spreadsheet more accurate than cheaper Polars.