help with meal plan

Options
where can i get help to develop a meal plan for foods to avoid? i'm not sure what my triggers are - I feel like its everything.
I don't get triggered by "typical" foods (cookies, ice cream, sweets.) In fact, I dislike most of those. I will eat an entire pizza, loaves of bread, bags of chips, anything that includes dip, anything creamy or saucy or hearty. Cooking my own foods triggers me because I love the food I make so much (proud of it, ect) that I want to keep experiencing the pleasure of eating it.
I'm so lost here. If anyone can help me come up with a plan to follow that will help with bingeing, please message me.
Thank you.

Replies

• MichelleOnWheels
    MichelleOnWheels Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you actually do know what a lot of your trigger foods are, you listed a slew of them. Have you gone to any OA meetings, and do you have a sponsor? www.oa.org has a list of meetings in your area, via phone, internet, and skype. If you are interested in talking on skype my handle is michellesema, I'd be happy to help you if I can.
  • MsSueBee
    MsSueBee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I agree that going to meetings and getting a sponsor is best place to start. Your sponsor can help you figure out what your binge foods are.

In the meantime, you can start paying attention to your body and what makes you want to eat more. For example, is it all bread that triggers you? Does it matter if it is whole or sprouted grain? Is it more of a trigger with certain things (butter, margarine, etc.) on it? Is it all sauces or just ones rich in fat, white flour, cheese, etc.? Does marinara trigger you?

Paying attention to how your body reacts will benefit you on your OA journey. Best wishes for much success!
  • ohkola
    ohkola Posts: 16
    Options
    Some people in program find seeing a nutritionist as a beneficial tool. They do this in conjunction with going to meetings and working with a sponsor. My experience was really great because she helped shed light on what my own trigger foods were (high fat and recreational sugar) and that I'm a "grazer".

I wish you the best of luck finding a food plan that works for you. You're almost there! You can do it! And we're here to help as much as we can.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary. One suggestion I might make is to plan ahead, like 5 days ahead. Buy the Cooking Light cookbook and/or the America's Test Kitchen Healthy Families cookbook. Both of them are available right now at Costco, the ATK one is in GREEN, the CL is white with RED font.

I am also a foodie, so I understand. If you look at my page I have a lot of OA information on it. I lost weight before with just MFP, but gained some back - I am a compulsive overeater. I have binge eating disorder.

I find the MEETINGS help, along with meal planning. I am not perfect though, and slack a lot on meal planning and MFP cal counting, I am trying to rectify it. "Progress not perfection" as they say in the program.

My profile on the lefthand side has a link to online OA meetings, I have posted them here as well.
  • julesoa
    julesoa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I found that making a list of my trigger/binge foods helped - you seem to have a good idea what they are :) They were the first things to go on my abstinent list. The next thing was portions and not eating between planned meals. So my food plan is 3-0-1 ie 3 meals a day with nothing in between ( no food).
    Some people use a white/black/grey list. Black are the list of no-go foods, white foods I can eat, grey are foods I might be only able to have occasionally or I need to kep an eye on. It can help to get clear about what will work for you.
    I agree that we need to check out our food plan with a sponsor and / or a health professional. This is because we know from experience that we can't really trust ourselves to be sane about our food choices, certainly true for me!! OA meetings help a lot too.
    :flowerforyou: