Rash?

Options
chinatbag
chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
Hey everyone, I know this gets brought up on /r/keto once in a while, but just wanted your thoughts.

Ever since I adopted the low-carbohydrate diet, I've been getting rashes near my neck, my lower back, and my chest.

No idea what's causing it. I stopped taking the vitamin supplementation I was taking at the beginning, thinking that was the problem - it wasn't.

I don't think I have any food allergies since all the foods I'm eating are foods I'd always eaten before, except now I'm eating much larger amounts of vegetables.

Anybody have a similar experience? So far I've been trying to kill off the rash with TAC (triamcinolone acetonide cream).

Replies

• Nyaranyanko
    Nyaranyanko Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Skin irritation from acidic sweat? Candida die-off? No idea.
  • dimensionerror
    dimensionerror Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've found that my skin dries out more quickly, especially on my face. I never had to use lotion before. Since I started the diet I have to moisturize my face after I shower or I'll end up with dry flakey skin within a couple hours.
  • chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hrm, I don't think it's sweat.

Someone mentioned it might be ketosis urticaria. This might be it, but that's kind of a umbrella term.

I don't think I'm dried out, my skin is pretty moisturized. I do suffer from eczema, but this isn't it :(
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I've had "contact dermatitis" for my whole life, even before keto. I'm not really allergic to anything as far as I know, so it stumepd dermatologists. /shrug.
  • yvodavis
    yvodavis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you ever found the answer, but i had this same problem. It was on the sides of my neck, and on my chest.

I read everything i could find on the internet and guessed it was either because I'm Asian, or I was Eating so many eggs. I completely stopped eating eggs, plastered myself with cortisone cream ( specifically my husband's eczema version ), and it faded in about a week. I eat eggs again but not EVERY morning. It hasn't made a repeat appearance.
  • chinamanftw
    Options
    I don't know if you ever found the answer, but i had this same problem. It was on the sides of my neck, and on my chest.

I read everything i could find on the internet and guessed it was either because I'm Asian, or I was Eating so many eggs. I completely stopped eating eggs, plastered myself with cortisone cream ( specifically my husband's eczema version ), and it faded in about a week. I eat eggs again but not EVERY morning. It hasn't made a repeat appearance.

Thanks for this! I'm also asian and just developed symptoms similar to OP (didn't eat anything I was allergic to either) and I was kinda concerned about it. It's good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. It started yesterday (like two days after I started keto, even after trying to ease my way in) flared up pretty bad, but has settled down a bit today. I wasn't exactly sure what the cause was though.

I just had a fried egg today so I guess I'll see how the rash is tomorrow morning. Hopefully this goes away in a week or less.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    My husband had this. We started Keto 7 weeks ago. The rash began about 1-2 weeks into Keto, and started disappearing around week 6. He used some cortizone cream which did help a bit.