Best PCOS Diets, Supplements, etc.?

Options
I've run into some interesting information about anti-estrogenic diets helping pcos women. One claim seemed exaggerated but since I put myself on a diet rich with estrogen blocking foods and restricting almost all estrogenic foods I have been losing weight at an accelerated pace. Of course the diet also happens to be low carb/low calorie so... Still, if I end up menstrating on this diet I will be hardcore believer. :)

I've also been considering Vitex (chasteberry). Has anyone had any luck with this herbal supplement?

PS I've recently started taking Metphormin. My gyno put me on it at my request.

Replies

• lovintowalk
    Options
    I usually put most of my clients on a combination of supplements if diet and exercise isn't enough to control symptoms.

In addition to a customized Chinese herbal formula for the individual variation of PCOS (no period, hair growth, PMS, weight gain, insulin resistance, etc.), I typically recommend cinnamon and carob for blood sugar regulation as well as saw palmetto for testosterone absorption. Also a B12 supplement has been show in small studies to help with PCOS as it is hypothesized that malabsorption of B12 is a major contributing factor.

But you should make sure you need these things first. One problem with controlling your symptoms and becoming healthier is that you will need less and less of your Metformin. So the side effects of Metformin will be more pronounced- like dizziness, fatigue, etc.
  • Hopeismymiddlename
    Options
    I thought about Saw Palmetto but, since I would like to get pregnant, thought it was a bad idea. I feel like I'm losing SO much hair lately but it's not noticable because I have very thick hair to begin with. I'm hoping it's cyclic hair loss that will soon slow down...

Still no period but since I've begun the fairly anti-estrogenic diet I have noticed that the growth of the LOVELY facial hair that I spend so much time and money getting rid of has slowed down.
  • lovintowalk
    Options
    Saw Palmetto is fine to supplement with until you get your cycle. Are you trying for conception before you have a cycle? Are you using advanced reproductive technologies? I would say go ahead and use it until the cycle you are trying to conceive during.

Also acupuncture and herbal medicine got my cycle back in 15 days. Do you want a referral? I can find someone in your area.
  • lorrainzander
    lorrainzander Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering about supplements as well and if there are any that actually encourage hair growth (on your head-no place else please!). I was just looking at some advertisements today and I just always assume that none of them work.
  • lovintowalk
    Options
    Saw palmeto helps keep you from loosing your hair as it binds to the testosterone metabolite that is attacking the hair follicle.

For thinning hair there is a Chinese herb called He Shou Wu (literal translation- Mr. He's black hair.) I like to give it in formula with a group of other herbs that will balance other aspects of the PCOS picture, not just the hair. But you can by it all on it's own online.

n general the Chinese medical idea of hair origin is healthy blood, so when your cycle (proper blood loss and building) is regular and you are eating nutritious foods and getting proper rest, your blood will be strong and healthy and your hair full and thick.