Understand PCOS and Needs Advice

Options
brittanykira
brittanykira Posts: 220 Member
Hi ladies,

I have only recently begun to understand how PCOS affects me way more than I thought. I think I have hit a plateau with my weight loss and was thinking it may be because of the PCOS. I read a few threads and saw that switching to whole wheat pastas and breads helped a few ladies drop pounds faster. Are there other things I should be doing? Thanks so much!

Brittany

Replies

• lorrainzander
    lorrainzander Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When I was diagnosed with PCOS, at the time I also had pre-diabetes. So I always try and watch my blood sugar levels. Many women with PCOS, also have these insulin resistance problems, it seems to go hand in hand. So, I have been trying just to eat as clean as possible, whole grains, fruits, veggies, healthy fats and lean meats. I am not always successful and I have fallen off the wagon a few times, but I am determined not give up! For me personally, I feel so much better when I am eating fresh, whole foods and the more I cook for my family, the better I feel and the the less money I seem to spend. Hope this helps!
  • brittanykira
    Options
    Thanks so much for your help!
    I am going to check out the websites :)
    Just hate reaching a point where I feel like I am working hard and not seeing results. Gets me discouraged!
  • lorrainzander
    Options
    Your welcome! Totally understand getting discouraged. My sister, who doesn't have PCOS, can lose weight so much easier then me and I put weight back so quickly. I can just have a bad weekend and whoosh...I've put some pounds back on. Not fair! But there have been many successful PCOS'ers that conquered their health issues and come out the other side, you can too!
  • brittanykira
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation! Getting discouraged comes so easily to me and I hate that we have to struggle so much more. But in the end, we will be super proud of ourselves and realize the strength we have!
  • lovintowalk
    Options
    The best why that I have found to loose weight is to limit carbohydrates to veggies (winter and summer) and fruit. I follow a paleo diet and have lost 30 lbs since June. Because PCOS is a insulin complicated disease if you do not eat grains you avoid that problem.

Here are a few blogs that help with figuring out how to be grain free without giving up on things like muffins.

http://www.againstallgrain.com/
    http://paleomg.com/
    http://www.grassfedgirl.com/
  • lorrainzander
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation! Getting discouraged comes so easily to me and I hate that we have to struggle so much more. But in the end, we will be super proud of ourselves and realize the strength we have!

Amen Cyster! :)
  • Nilleyward
    Nilleyward Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

I have only recently begun to understand how PCOS affects me way more than I thought. I think I have hit a plateau with my weight loss and was thinking it may be because of the PCOS. I read a few threads and saw that switching to whole wheat pastas and breads helped a few ladies drop pounds faster. Are there other things I should be doing? Thanks so much!

Brittany

I went throught the same thing a few months ago, I had only lost about 18lbs and I was working out like crazy and watching my calories but for three weeks nothing came off. I stumbled across a website from a woman who specialized in weight loss plains for women with PCOS and she suggested that if you come to plateau try going on a strict carb intake of no more than 118g for 1-2 weeks and see if you see any weight loss. It may seem pretty strick but it should work, then after that try to keep your carb intake between 50 to 150 per day eating whole wheat breads, pastas, and cereals while limiting them to only 1-2 times per day and you should see a consistant weight loss pattern coupled with excersise. Personally, I will say this was a god send for me because I have been consistantly loosing following this plan. I watch my calories and I try not to go over 130 carb per day including breads, pastas and cereals. See if this works for you, keep up the hard work you can do it!!!
  • Greenladybug
    Greenladybug Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just the nature of the beast but I'm so frustrated i can barely stand it right now. I'm on metformin taking birth control and Vitamin D, I've dropped my calorie in take and changed my diet to a 40/30/30 make up and not a pound. I know this is supposed to be a slow process for people like us but I'm so discouraged I'm not sure what else I should do
  • brittlynn8907
    brittlynn8907 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just the nature of the beast but I'm so frustrated i can barely stand it right now. I'm on metformin taking birth control and Vitamin D, I've dropped my calorie in take and changed my diet to a 40/30/30 make up and not a pound. I know this is supposed to be a slow process for people like us but I'm so discouraged I'm not sure what else I should do

I'm having the same problem except for I'm on metformin and cabergoline because my prolactin level stays elevated.
  • brittanykira
    Options
    I have just had my first visit with a gyno and they have helped me understand things a bit better. I am on birth control now and aldactone. Hopefully they will help with the PCOS symptoms and she wants to properly diagnose me with PCOS. The last couple of weeks I have really fallen off the wagon so def time to get back on.