Does anyone else get these?

Options
MorbidMander
MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
I've been getting like.. boils and such since I was about 18, and now they are much more frequent. I know this isn't a pretty topic to touch on but everything in life isn't pretty, lol. I used to be really upset by them until I stumbled across a community of PCOS'ers that had a topic on it being a result of PCOS. Just went to itch my back and sure enough, felt like a zit so I knew I have another one. I always get them on my hips/back, it's really discouraging. I was just wondering if anyone else had skin issues as well with PCOS? I get kind of down about it and it makes me self conscious. =( I think it might be a result of my hormone levels or something being out of whack. (Shocker) I should probably watch more carefully what I eat.. sigh. :( Feelin' kinda down now.

Replies

• lorrainzander
    lorrainzander Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't have skin issues like that, but I have had deal with facial hair for a long time now, so I feel your pain. It is such an embarrassing symptom of PCOS and if I'm not on top of it, it can be noticeable. If you haven't been to this forum before, here is a link with a real Dr.'s advice about PCOS boils.

http://www.pcos.insulitelabs.com/forums/showthread.php?1015-Advice-for-skin-boils

Try not to get too down, you are a young and beautiful girl, and we do not have to be defined by this awful syndrome!
  • brittanykira
    brittanykira Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I hear ya about the facial hair. Shed more tears over it then you can imagine and it has affected my social life, my self-esteem, and my love life! Any suggestions for it?
  • lorrainzander
    lorrainzander Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Well, I had wish I had the money to get it professionally removed, but I don't. So, what I do is bleach the hair that is soft and not really dark and I wax the rest, like my upper lip. I use a microwaveable beeswax kind that I get a Sally Beauty Supply, it is my favorite, because it works and doesn't hurt too much. The leftovers is with good old fashion tweezers and a magnified mirror! :) Not the nicest thing to talk about, but this is reality and at least we can sympathize with each other. :)
  • lovintowalk
    Options
    Hi Y'all. Regarding hair removal, for years I would just shave my face daily! Now I am finally been able to afford electrolysis. It took till I was in my mid 30's! I have been going for over a year, every 2 weeks for 2 hours each visit. Now my electrologist can get all of the hairs in one hour. I know it will take another year or 2 to have permanent and complete results, but this is the happiest I have ever been with my face. Just for your own planning, my electrologist says it typically takes 500 hours.
  • PCOSgal
    Options
    Yes, there is a skin condition called hydradenitis supervita (not sure of exact spelling) that is more common in women with PCOS. I have a mild case that flares up sometimes. What's worked best for me is using antibacterial body soap- I like Cetaphil Antibacterial bar soap because it is fragrance free. Antibiotics can also be helpful.
  • Pooh1981
    Pooh1981 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I get boils on my behind, inner thighs, breasts and on my private area also. I have hair on my upper lip and on my chin and my neck also. Which is a nightmare but I live with it nonetheless it has affected my self esteem but not my love life thank God for that!
  • reevesml
    reevesml Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I get those too. I know that I get them from my father though. anywhere that hair follicles grow that is not on my head, face, arms, or lower legs I get them. It aint pretty or pleasant. But you are not alone
  • bostongrl81
    bostongrl81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hydradentitis Superativa is def the issue here. I get them too...ever since I was 12 or 13 (I'm now 32) Ugh! They're so painful and embarrassing. I also have the facial hair, but - omg - so that's so much easier to manage. The boils get so so big and bad but sometimes they never really go away. I tried to bring it up to my Drs many years ago but there wasn't much info on it so they shrugged it off as foliculitis and that it was b/c I was overweight. Even when I lost weight before getting pregnant they were still awful! PCOS is seriously horrible. I read the wiki on Hydradentitis last week and was SHOCKED at what I read...how the boils can form sinus tracts under the skin and travel all over your body! =O And the horrible things it can lead to...OMG! I'm having my new doc check me out in a few weeks to get a Nth degree opinion.