• thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I should probably let you all know that my name is Melissa!! :happy:

You are welcome!
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Took the 5:30 am class in Olathe Kansas. I also wear a heart moniter but average around 200- 250 calories a class. I have been going to classes off and on for 10 yrs. And have gone for 3 yrs straight now. Can I ask what your calorie burn is??

I also go to a gym after Jazzercise and take classes like ballet bar, yoga, barbell & spin. Mainly because I only burn 200 calories a class.
  • thr33martins
    Options
    Took the 5:30 am class in Olathe Kansas. I also wear a heart moniter but average around 200- 250 calories a class. I have been going to classes off and on for 10 yrs. And have gone for 3 yrs straight now. Can I ask what your calorie burn is??

I also go to a gym after Jazzercise and take classes like ballet bar, yoga, barbell & spin. Mainly because I only burn 200 calories a class.

This surprises me, because when I used to wear a HRM my burn was in the 600-700 range? I was coming back from maternity leave, and my weight at the time was about 175->165. The calorie count decreased a little as I lost weight, but was never lower than 550.

Are you sure you have it set up correctly? If so, do you feel like you are really exerting yourself when you take class?
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options

Hi Jill,

As you probably already know, calorie burns will be different for each individual, depending on the size, age and fitness and resting heart rate. I actually do Jazzercise DVD's at home right now, but my heart rate monitor says I burn around 350-400 per 60 minute workout...

It's the same moves as a real class but I think they are more repetitive than a live class to make it simpler for the "home audience" - LOL!

Really though everyone IS different and every day is different :smile: I notice I can do the same DVD and I'll burn differently depending on the time of day, how I've eaten or not eaten that day..etc

I think it is great to take other classes too, they will work a variety of muscles that might have gotten missed on that day, good for you!
  • jillcwhite
    Options
    My weight goes between 137- 140lbs (goal is 125-130). I do workout enough to sweat and breath heavy. My moniter has me mostly in zone 1 and 2, very little in zone 3. (I will try and reset) I did go to a nutrionist who tested my metabolism (through a breath machine) - she did say I run lower then what she would have expected. I am curious if your body gets used to the workouts and doesnt burn as much. I have been going 6 days a week for years??
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to attend different class times with different teachers because I've noticed that they all have a variation in the songs and strength training workouts. I am very glad to know that I should be able to meet my goals if I continue to mix things up and keep working hard. Thanks Ladies for your input! Jill- I'm originally from Olathe. :) Look's like I'll be going to the 6:45 class tonight. :) Keep up the great work ladies!
  • thr33martins
    Options
    I feel like there might be some setting on your HRM that is off. You do weigh less than I do (and did), but that seems really low for a 1-hour class, even at lower intensity. I have been teaching for 7 1/2 years, and going to Jazz for almost 10, and I have gone through periods where I average over one class per day when i submit my invoices at the end of the month....I used to teach a lot of doubles. I don't think that your body is getting used to it. Mine never has!!

Is it possible that you are working out at too high a level, so that your body is burning calories less efficiently? If you have been going for a long time, I think it can be assumed that you are in pretty good shape, but if you are routinely killing yourself at the top of the curve, and then dropping off your intensity abruptly as soon as you start to descend, then you might be sabotaging your goals.

I still think it is the HRM, though, and not you.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    My weight goes between 137- 140lbs (goal is 125-130). I do workout enough to sweat and breath heavy. My moniter has me mostly in zone 1 and 2, very little in zone 3. (I will try and reset) I did go to a nutrionist who tested my metabolism (through a breath machine) - she did say I run lower then what she would have expected. I am curious if your body gets used to the workouts and doesnt burn as much. I have been going 6 days a week for years??

HI again Jill! You know I got to thinking...you said your HRM totals 200-250 calories per class and I'm guessing you mean a 60 class. Well, if you divide 250 calories by 60 minutes, that means you are burning about 4 calories per minute according to the HRM, right?! Also, about 1 of those calories per minute is what you'd burn just sitting on the couch, so you really burn a net of 3 cals per minute. (so only claim the NET amount if you log your exercise and eat back calories)

But, you are right, that doesn't sound like enough....I'm wondering how your heart rate monitor works, it does sound different than mine (I have a POLAR FT4) Do you input all your personal stats like age, height, weight an resting heart rate?

From what I've learned over the past 1 1/2 years here on MFP is that heart rate monitors can go wrong and get messed up easy. So, double check your settings, the battery, the chest strap, etc...

Hope this helps!
  • jillcwhite
    Options
    hmmm - I have the same Polar monitor. I got it at the beginning of the year and it is the same calorie burn as when I got it new. I will reset and check everything. But if I was burning more then the 200 calories I would think I would have lost more weight by now. Since I am loggin in the 200 calories & food dairy works with the 200 calories then I would have a weight loss if burning more ?? I Eat eat between 1200 - 1500 calories a day on average. I have not reached my goal weight in the 940 days I have been on this site loggin in.

I do thank all of you for your input - It really helps me out! Others may see something I have missed.

I will continue Jazzercise for mental health is nothing else :)
  • thr33martins
    Options
    hmmm - I have the same Polar monitor. I got it at the beginning of the year and it is the same calorie burn as when I got it new. I will reset and check everything. But if I was burning more then the 200 calories I would think I would have lost more weight by now. Since I am loggin in the 200 calories & food dairy works with the 200 calories then I would have a weight loss if burning more ?? I Eat eat between 1200 - 1500 calories a day on average. I have not reached my goal weight in the 940 days I have been on this site loggin in.

I do thank all of you for your input - It really helps me out! Others may see something I have missed.

I will continue Jazzercise for mental health is nothing else :)

Something is definitely going on there. Eating between 12-1500 calories a day, going to Jazzercise 6 times per week, for the last 940 days?? Could there be some other medical condition going on? Thyroid maybe? Have you had any testing done? Your body is being really stubborn! What kinds of foods do your calories come from? It really sounds like you are doing everything absolutely right...
  • RocheleLynn
    Options
    Jill- I would message californiagirl2012 your story. She went through something very similar. She was working out like crazy and eating right for years and couldn't hit her goals. Then she changed some things.. Now she's like crazy in shape. Just a thought.
  • MsJayeKaye
    MsJayeKaye Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Jazzercise of El Cerrito, CA. I did 3 classes today, 6:00 a.m., 5:25 p.m and 6:30 p.m. I made 225 classes for the year with the 5:25 class! I stayed for 6:30 for good measure! I LOVE Jazzercise!!!
  • RocheleLynn
    Options
    Wow Jaye! That is some serious Jazzercise! Good for you! I really wish I was able to go more than once a day..but even once a day is tight to fit into my schedule. I love it! It doesn't feel like work! ....actually scratch that-- it feels like very FUN HARD work! :)
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Lincoln, NE!!! I work near the South Center but I live close to the North Center so it will be a surprise which one I go to tonight!