MUSCLE MATH! article on why lifting rules

Options
bellabrite
bellabrite Posts: 89 Member
Happened to come across this today--not familiar with the website, but thought this article was interesting since it uses numbers/math/geekery to explain why lifting is so effective!

http://www.fitforcombatsystem.com/math-and-science-how-weightlifting-burns-fat/

Replies

• wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    "A pound of muscle equals 454grams. That means a pound of muscle is 454grams of protein. A gram of protein has about 4calories.
    A pound of muscle then has about 1,816 calories in it."

Not sure where those figures come from as animal (inc human) muscle tissue is roughly 75% water, 20% protein and 5% other things (fats etc)

Kinda makes me have doubts about any other figures and maths that takes place from that point onwards.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That is excellent article, best I've seen written on it with those studies.

I wish they would have added that an insane amount of cardio can also eat away at muscle, to the tune of about 600 calories per lb when converted to glucose.

Hence the reason why it's so easy to lose a lb of muscle if diet and exercise are all wrong, and sure is best not to in the first place.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    No wonder if takes so long to build muscle.

I'm actually trying to just stick to HIIT, sprints, and light walking when I have time. I want to stay in a muscle building state.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Happened to come across this today--not familiar with the website, but thought this article was interesting since it uses numbers/math/geekery to explain why lifting is so effective!

http://www.fitforcombatsystem.com/math-and-science-how-weightlifting-burns-fat/

I read this after it was recommended by Heybales in another thread.
    I say "I read this" but what I really mean is, I read it about 5 times before I got it!!:blushing:

It's an excellent article and I even bookmarked it but prepare yourselves folks, the numbers are mind-boggling!!:laugh:
  • bellabrite
    bellabrite Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    lol, i should have known heybales found this already!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    "A pound of muscle equals 454grams. That means a pound of muscle is 454grams of protein. A gram of protein has about 4calories.
    A pound of muscle then has about 1,816 calories in it."

Not sure where those figures come from as animal (inc human) muscle tissue is roughly 75% water, 20% protein and 5% other things (fats etc)

Kinda makes me have doubts about any other figures and maths that takes place from that point onwards.

You are totally correct, so the other figures as to amounts and times must be taken with grain of salt, except for what the study is commenting on. The writers comments based on that false assumption of muscle weight and grams of protein is pretty sad.

But it's still better than most I've seen where they get that right, but have no study references for their other comments.