Cold Climates: When do you put away your bike?

Options
omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
We went biking last week here in MI. And well, Brrrr......I'm not ready to put it away yet, but I will dressing MUCH warmer next time. When (if?) do you put your bike away for the winter?

Replies

• Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Lived in Portland, OR for many years and never put the bike away. Doesn't get cold like MI, but it is wet all winter. Where I'm living now is much colder (been here for highs in 10's before) and I'm not planning on putting the bike away but when the mercury drops we'll see how long that lasts.

To me cycling is an outdoor sport, not one to chained to a stationary bike all winter and I will ride if I can . Reminds me of a pic of Juan Antonio Flecha (pro cyuclist) out training in the snow (here: http://www.whyweflourish.org/?p=480) out training in the snow. There is something magical about riding in the cold weather, especially when no one else is out...or maybe it's just me going numb.
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    What is this "putting the bike away" you speak of?
  • ferb03
    ferb03 Posts: 82
    Options
    Took mine to the lbs for a tune up last week and plan on putting it up for the season next week but only because I had a little surgery two weeks ago and don't want to take any chances of screwing things up.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options

^^^ this ^^^
  • dtpss188
    Options
    I live north of Syracuse - we have record setting snow fall. For us that can be the limiting factor. I plan to ride as long as possible and maybe discover some snow riding this year. This past weekend I rode 60 miles in the 30's. Last winter I rode whenever it was 28 degrees and above. This year, with proper clothing I will try to push the limits and ride as much as possible. I'm not sure what will happen when everything is packed in snow and it's zero out. I would surmise that city streets might be better for winter riding if one can avoid the traffic. My area has quite a few roads that are 55mph with poor shoulders, so... not sure yet. Check out the ice bikers, some pretty interesting reads. You will find that there are a lot of people who ride throught the winter. Who knows... that could be you or I this year...
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I live in the North of England. Where it is permanently wet. Permanently. (Apart from 4 days which were laughingly called summer).

I have just switched from my hybrid to my MTB for commuting. It's a bit sturdier, has lock-out suspension, and most importantly, hydraulic disk brakes. I will continue to commute through the winter 2-3 times a week hopefully, and maybe some weekends get a longer ride in. I don't want to lose the fitness I've built up all year and I hate gyms and get bored on stationary bikes.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Below 42 degrees (plus or minus, depending on wind speed), I usually ride the trainer.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Winter wheels, raceblades, belgian bootees and a liberal budget for embrocation keeps me riding most of the time - don't really "put the bike away per-se, though I will admit, the indoor trainer gets quite a bit of hammer - if the roads are either snowed up/iced over - or my other pet hate - fog - then frankly, you can do more damage to yourself than the training benefit you'll get.

If its cold wet and manky, then the MTB comes into it's own - because to me, the AIM of a ride on the MTB is to get wet and muddy...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    we have had snow 3 times,,, yep, i put my bike away and change to something else,,,, i say within about 6 weeks i am done.
  • sweetybird09
    sweetybird09 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    We can ride year round here in southern California, so no putting it away for me, put lights on the front and a tail light on the rear and have begun riding at night to get used to daylight savings time.
  • Strangelyinsane
    Strangelyinsane Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Washington State isn't that cold during the winter but one needs to accept the wet. I like to ride all year but I need extra motivation to go out on a rainy/cold day. Maybe a contest for number of wet rides before the end of the year? How about 1 point for wet and 1 point for <55f at ride time? Most points by year end gets bragging rights?
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I put mine away on September 1st. Sharp. Can't be too careful.
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I put mine away on September 1st. Sharp. Can't be too careful.

:noway:

:bigsmile:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I put away my road bike when they start salting the roads. All the grit adds to the risk/danger, not to mention it being really hard on the bike itself.

I never put away my mountain bikes.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options

This. I live in MI, too. I really wanted to ride last Winter, especially since it was so mild. We did one ride when it was 18º and I really loved it, but discovered how completely non-functional my CX bike's cantilever brakes are once the rims ice over. My studded tires gave great traction, but that lack of braking ability was a real deal-breaker. I have a new 29er mountain bike on its way, so then I'll have a disc brake option. I may or may not go the studded tire route. I'd like to ride at least some.

Fortunately I also run. Sometimes running is an easier option. Riding in the Winter is totally doable, but laundry is a factor and shoe covers are kind of a PITA. If I really wanted to ride a lot in the Winter I'd invest in Winter-specific cycling boots. Someday I'd love a fatbike (which, BTW, are perfect for MI, especially if you live near the lake, as we do--those things are phenomenal on sand and snow). I'd definitely invest in the winter boots, then.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm in Southern Ontario, Canada and I never put it away but winter rides are not as frequent. Last year my New Years celebration was a nice long ride! You have to really dress for it and shoe covers really help keep my feet warm.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    NEVER!! I'm near Chicago and will ride as long as the roads are safe, though I ride significantly less (outdoors) in the winter. But I sprung for winter riding tights gloves so there are no excuses. Last winter I recall doing a ride in January, when we had a (short-lived) warm spell. I think it got up to 50!

Although it gets cold and snowy, the bigger concern is it seems to be dark all the time right now, making after-work rides nearly impossible (even with my light, I don't feel very safe on the more rural, unlit roads in my area).
  • Twomirrors
    Twomirrors Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    49 degrees and sprinkling here today, and I just got home from an hour of hill repeats on the road bike. I put away the road bike when the roads have ice/gravel on them, but I don't put away the mountain bike until there's too much snow to ride. It's all about having the right clothing, shoe covers, toe warmers, lightweight down jacket...

If you quit riding during the winter, you'll have to regain your fitness in the spring. Where's the fun in that?!?!?!
  • bethlikesbikes
    Options
    If the sun is out and there isn't salt on the road, I'll be out on my road bike regardless of the season.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. My hybrid tires are scary in the rain so I won't be trying that in the snow LOL. I'll look into new tires on my mountain bike and get it tuned up though. That I could do.

I do run and I do plan on continuing running throughout the winter!