Silly little tricks?

Options
KimWW
KimWW Posts: 301 Member
What silly (or not so silly) little tricks do you use to get yourself motivated and going during the day? Do you park at the back of the lot? Add a little something special to your coffee? (I mean like vanilla, not booze!)

I like to go swimming in the early morning, before the hubby goes to work. Even if the rest of the day sucks, I know I got a nice, healthy start.

Replies

• Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm finding the charm bracelet is working pretty well for me. It is a visible reminder for me. It hurt to remove a charm because I had gained a little.
  • Chelle_Davis
    Options
    I'm finding the charm bracelet is working pretty well for me. It is a visible reminder for me. It hurt to remove a charm because I had gained a little.

What a neat idea! A great visual reminder.

I don't have any tricks to keep myself motivated, but I'm definitely interested in everyone's replies!
  • KayeArlana
    KayeArlana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I keep a couple of my favorite quotes on a post it on my computer monitor at work. I don't know when it started but I've also developed the habit it wrapping my fingers around each wrist to see if they will meet before I eat anything.

I saw on etsy these stamped plates for a necklace or bracelet that you can get with the date and weight/pounds lost (or whatever you want it to say). I don't have any yet but I really want to get one--kind of like chips in AA, I'd like to start collecting them as I start to reach my mini goals.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Whenever I am feeling lazy about working out or tempted to overeat or veer off track in some way, I repeat these statements until I can move past the moment:

"Skinny waits for no one."
    "Thin begins within."

I kind of want them on t-shirts, but then complete strangers will know how crazy I am :tongue:
  • mattnjakesmom
    Options
    I have motivational picture in my bedroom, I keep an old pair of my "fat" pants, and looking at my boys every morning keeps me motivated. :)
  • ybft
    ybft Posts: 26 Member
    Options

what is the charm bracelet thing?
    Do you have a pic to share?
  • penguinjlynn
    penguinjlynn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I drink lemon in my water to detox and burn extra calories. I eat spicy food throughout the day to boost metabolism. I utilize BE-DO-Have, Be committed, Do what it takes, Have what you want. Idle minds lead to busy mouths. I have a letter to myself from when I started back in January reminding me why I am doing this and what I want my life to be. Plus I have pics of my best friend's baby everywhere so I remember that I want to be able to keep up with her and do all the fun things an Auntie should do.
  • doitforabby
    doitforabby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I saw on etsy these stamped plates for a necklace or bracelet that you can get with the date and weight/pounds lost (or whatever you want it to say). I don't have any yet but I really want to get one--kind of like chips in AA, I'd like to start collecting them as I start to reach my mini goals.

Love this idea! Don't know about putting weight on it, but maybe a token for every 10 pounds? hmmm..... have to look into this!
  • healthyMSk
    healthyMSk Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I go on pintrest and read only the health/weightloss section. It is like flipping through a weightloss magazine whenever I need a little motivation.

I have a awful picture of myself as my desktop background so I have to look at it.

I'm actually letting people know I'm trying to lose weight this time, I usually keep it myself so it is easier when I fail.

I have a dress that I want to be able to fit into, it is not even a long term goal type thing just one I bought that doesn't look good & I want it to.
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    Options

what is the charm bracelet thing?
    Do you have a pic to share?
    I don't have a picture - but it is similar to this one http://www.amazon.com/Shades-Bracelet-Quality-Pandora-Changed/dp/B006RNHUAM/ although with a lot less charms right now.

I wear it on my left hand and make sure that is the hand I use to reach for food - it really helped with the hot-from-the-oven cookies at work the other day. Yes I had one...but *only* one :) For me a major victory!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    When I'm shopping or looking through the kitchen I pinch the extra skin on my stomach. Weird but it does help, 90% of the time I then walk away, unless I'm really hungry and not just bored.
  • penguinjlynn
    penguinjlynn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    When I'm shopping or looking through the kitchen I pinch the extra skin on my stomach. Weird but it does help, 90% of the time I then walk away, unless I'm really hungry and not just bored.

I sometimes do the same thing. For awhile when I started or even now if I start to struggle, I will ask myself with every bite I take WHY am I eating this? I'm a huge emotional eater so this helped me identify some issues I needed to work on and find better ways to cope.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options

I sometimes do the same thing. For awhile when I started or even now if I start to struggle, I will ask myself with every bite I take WHY am I eating this? I'm a huge emotional eater so this helped me identify some issues I needed to work on and find better ways to cope.

Boredom and emotional eating for me so its really not good. Walks have helped for the emotional eating. But its getting cold out so I'm hopeing to find something else soon.
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am a boredom eater! Ugh, I can snack mindlessly and not realize the damage until a few minutes later.... I've gotten to the point where I'm halfway to the pantry/have my hand on a box and my brain kinda goes - 'wait, are you hungry right now? why are you getting that?' Lots of healthly eating has just conditioned me to do that.
  • KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    This sounds kind of stupid, or maybe it is obvious, I don't know. When I play up-beat bouncy (in beat if not content) music, it gets me moving in my seat. It may not be aerobics, but I cannot imagine I am not burning a few more calories than if I sat motionless like a slug. Does wonders for my mood as well.
  • whallon
    whallon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ok, so this is going to sound pretty silly, but I have an exercise program on my phone that I really enjoy! Zombies, Run! It is an audio story you listen to while "running" (although, I use it walking or on the ellptical, etc). It is the typical post apocalyptic setting, but the characters are fun and the story is enough that I want to get back to exercising so I can listen to it!

It is an expensive app , but I got it on sale (for $2.99) and I LOVE it! They just came out with a 5k trainer, but I have not tried that one yet :)

Hmmm..... Also, when working out, I like to set mini goals for the times when I want to quit, (somewhere around 8 minutes I really want to stop!!) so it might be a time goal or a distance goal, but just pushing a little further usually helps me get past the impulse to stop.
  • Myamoo222
    Myamoo222 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I adapted something I saw on Pintrest. I wanted to lose about 180 lbs so I took 18 Popsicle sticks (one for ever 10 lbs) and wrote both little and big non-food rewards. When I lose 10 lbs I get to pick a stick and do the activity/make that purchase etc.

It's fun because I know that they are all things that I like and want but I don't know what I will get this time. I have colour coded them as well by expense level so that I know it will fit into the budget.

Green - High $
    Red - Small purchase
    Blue - Activity
    Yellow - just a little something

Some examples:
    Get a haircut - yellow
    Used clothing shopping spree - Red
    Massage at a Spa - Green
    Trip to the Zoo - Blue

When I am feeling down I flip through them and it gets me excited to get to the next 10
  • Brandification
    Brandification Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I adapted something I saw on Pintrest. I wanted to lose about 180 lbs so I took 18 Popsicle sticks (one for ever 10 lbs) and wrote both little and big non-food rewards. When I lose 10 lbs I get to pick a stick and do the activity/make that purchase etc.

It's fun because I know that they are all things that I like and want but I don't know what I will get this time. I have colour coded them as well by expense level so that I know it will fit into the budget.

Green - High $
    Red - Small purchase
    Blue - Activity

Some examples:
    Get a haircut - yellow
    Massage at a Spa - Green
    Trip to the Zoo - Blue

When I am feeling down I flip through them and it gets me excited to get to the next 10

This is a fantastic idea!!
  • whallon
    whallon Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Green - High $
    Red - Small purchase
    Blue - Activity

Some examples:
    Get a haircut - yellow
    Massage at a Spa - Green
    Trip to the Zoo - Blue

LOVE this idea!!

I have also started this competition with a friend - whoever has more minutes of exercise for the week "wins." The idea is that the winner has a trophy to display in their house. We live far away from each other so we each made one (a decorated peanut butter jar) and we get to keep it if we win or give it to a neighbor for the week if we loose! :)
  • Bertie02
    Bertie02 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't have any, but I really like the idea of a bracelet, and getting a new bead every 10-20lbs.