What are the odds?

Options
momtokgo
momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
Does anyone know what the odds are of a child having gluten intolerance/Celiac if a parent (and grandparent) does?

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    coeliac disease often runs in families. If you have a close relative with the condition, such as a parent, brother or sister, your chance of developing it is higher.
    This risk is approximately 10% for those with a family history, compared with 1% for someone without a close relative with the condition. If you have an identical twin with coeliac disease, there is an 85% chance you will also develop the condition.

Found this on the NHS website. Hope that helps. I've just had my eldest tested.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I think the chances are up-ed with a family history of auto-immune disorders (which Celiac's is).
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Ah, ok. Thanks. I googled it but couldn't really find too much info about it.

My daughter is starting a GF diet today so see if it helps with her (not real often) headaches, stomache aches, and most importantly her sore legs. Shes always complaining that her legs are sore, or tired. She also gets a sore neck once in ahwile (it used to happen weekly) and her attitude! If this helps that, I'll be in heaven. Between the mood swings and the "tweenage" attitude, we are scared to look at her some days.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My doc says 10%-15% chance. I have Celiac and my partner has non-Celiac gluten intolerance and an egg allergy but so far our kiddo (11 mos) has shown no signs of allergies or reactions to anything, including wheat. I thought he was for sure doomed!!!! Haha.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have a son with a gluten intolerance, and the other one doesn't (but he doesn't get much anyway!). I did put my youngest on the GF diet for 2 full months because he complains of his legs hurting all the time too, but it didn't help at all. He's also chronically constipated, which is another symptom, but again, nothing changed on the diet. And I was very strict with it, he ate what my oldest and I ate. But yeah, the chances are pretty high for him - and he could still develop it anytime too.
  • ktouton
    ktouton Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can only get Celiac if one of your parents has the gene. That being said, many people have the gene and do not get the disease. This has long been a mystery to the medical community. One doctor explained it as the lock (your body) and the key (the gene) have to engage to give you the condition. They don't know why some people get it and others don't. If you have a child with Celiac I would advise everyone in the family have the genetic testing (if insurance covers it). The more I heard about the symptoms the more I realized it sounded like my deceased father. I think he got it from my long deceased grandmother. I have the gene, my son has Celiac, my daughter doesn't even have the gene. Sort of a crap shoot sometimes.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    There is some celiac and other autoimmune stuff in my family, but I was okay until I got Lyme disease and that apparently sensitized my guts.

If you have relatives whose celiac genes haven't turned on yet, encourage them to avoid wheat and other grains whenever they have an upset tummy or other digestive distress -- it might help.
  • jnoring
    jnoring Posts: 93
    Options
    I was diagnosed with celiac 2-3 weeks ago. Everyone in my family has been tested and it was negative for them. Weird thing I went to a wedding last weekend and one of my distant cousins had it too. It’s kind of a weird; I guess some people like us just get lucky ;)