Living situations

Options

Replies

• DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Talking about where you live and if you own or rent usually comes up in the first couples dates, at least for me. This sometimes leads to talk of roommates.

This is relevant to me in the sense that I like to know the general area where someone lives and how far it is from where I live. Since I live in a big metropolitan area that covers a lot of land and can have significant traffic problems, I like to have someone live within 10 miles of where I live. Beyond that distance in this area, I find that it is hard to schedule with someone when you know that seeing them isn't going to be easy.

Rent vs. own is another consideration. I prefer to date renters. Why? Because if you have a long term focus, a renter is not tied down to something. An owner is. If I'm dating a homeowner for the duration, her home would become our home if things went well long term. It could easily be a case where I would have no say in the development of a household. As I have stated before, I like the idea of finding a partner first, then building a domesticity around them rather than having elements of a domesticity first and slotting a partner into that paradigm.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of finding a partner first, then building a domesticity around them rather than having elements of a domesticity first and slotting a partner into that paradigm.

I suppose if I were in your age bracket I would feel that way too. Let me re-phrase that... I do feel that way... but where I'm at it's kinda odd for a grown man in my age bracket to not have his own place. If he were only here temporarily (like military) or perhaps recovering from a divorce or maybe even a temporary condition brought on by tough economic times I could understand. I suppose I could also understand living in an apartment while amassing wealth or if his job caused him to travel as much as mine.

My friends who are older and about to marry are both going to rent or sell their houses and are looking for a new one together. Starting that life together- not him moving into her house or she moving into his- seems to be the best way to approach it.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Talking about where you live and if you own or rent usually comes up in the first couples dates, at least for me. This sometimes leads to talk of roommates.

This is relevant to me in the sense that I like to know the general area where someone lives and how far it is from where I live. Since I live in a big metropolitan area that covers a lot of land and can have significant traffic problems, I like to have someone live within 10 miles of where I live. Beyond that distance in this area, I find that it is hard to schedule with someone when you know that seeing them isn't going to be easy.

Rent vs. own is another consideration. I prefer to date renters. Why? Because if you have a long term focus, a renter is not tied down to something. An owner is. If I'm dating a homeowner for the duration, her home would become our home if things went well long term. It could easily be a case where I would have no say in the development of a household. As I have stated before, I like the idea of finding a partner first, then building a domesticity around them rather than having elements of a domesticity first and slotting a partner into that paradigm.

Not all the time would a long term relationship move into the house that someone owns. I know in my case I would sell or rent it out in a heart beat as I hate where I live. I know this isn't the case with a lot of people that own their house but it also shouldn't be something that stops you.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of finding a partner first, then building a domesticity around them rather than having elements of a domesticity first and slotting a partner into that paradigm.

I suppose if I were in your age bracket I would feel that way too. Let me re-phrase that... I do feel that way... but where I'm at it's kinda odd for a grown man in my age bracket to not have his own place.

My friends who are older and about to marry are both going to rent or sell their houses and are looking for a new one together. Starting that life together- not him moving into her house or she moving into his- seems to be the best way to approach it.

Thank you for seeing things from my perspective. Having your own house is a big deal. It takes a lot of work. I know I am not ready for that responsibility right now.

I would agree that starting a life together in a new place is the best approach. However, given the current housing market, that may not be feasible and I think it has the potential to be a big source of a stress for a relationship. Many relationships that have cratered have gone that way at least partially because of real estate issues.

Not all the time would a long term relationship move into the house that someone owns. I know in my case I would sell or rent it out in a heart beat as I hate where I live. I know this isn't the case with a lot of people that own their house but it also shouldn't be something that stops you.

It can be a source of stress. I like the idea of unencumbered lifestyle of renters. You go year to year. The downside to that is the potential rent increases when the lease comes up. But leasing does make it easier to handle relationship changes as an unmarried person.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I actually like the idea of dating someone who owns their own home. It provides information about how a person chooses to spend their money. Is it an old house that needs a lot of maintenance? Did they want a big yard? Did they go for a more expensive place with all the bells and whistles? Did they go for a condo with little upkeep, etc? You can kind of get that feeling from rental properties but there isn't as diverse a selection of apartments (or price ranges) in this area as there are in the single-family housing stock.

As far as trying to sell the places to get something together, it may be a bit more difficult especially if one or both parties are under water or has a house that may not be as marketable but there are differences in lease timing as well.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I (stupidly) bought a house when I was stationed in OKC. I was unable to sell it before my PCS to Mississippi (but we were able to sell my ex's, go figure). Right now I'm renting it out. I will probably keep renting it out for another few years until I can afford to pay mortgage + rent without being super duper broke, then I will try to sell it. Until then, I foresee myself either renting a house with roommates or living in a small apartment by myself.

It is a constant source of stress, though. It has some foundation problems, and I'm waiting for the call from my property manager to tell me I have to shell out $5k to fix it. Because I don't have $5k... :sad:

Oh if only I'd not been retarded with my money for the last four to five years.

The good news is for my future husband, if I ever have one again, is I refuse to get married and/or share finances until I have my debts paid and my finances in order. Blegh. :sick:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Last night my friends and I were talking about guys and girls being roommates.
    My friend has a guy roommate and he had brought a girl over and once she found out he had a girl roommate the girl flipped out on him. The only way she found out was she was loooking at pictures on the wall and asked which guy was his roommate. How do you feel about someone you are dating having a roommate of the opposite sex?

The three of us were fine with a guy having a girl roommate as long as they told us about it. If they try to hide it for some reason it sets off red flags.

I shared a flat with 2 guys for 2 years. Was a fab time. I have a male lodger now and his wife lives 3 hours away. I dont see any problem with it whatsoever! It's the insecurity of the girl that flipped that has caused the drama. why? I mean, why flip?

I dont see why he should have to specify the gender of his flat mates or even talk about it. He's obviously not making an issue of it, she is!!

I dont even understand why there is a potential red flag??

People that share a flat together are sharing a flat together. Simple as that. He probably didn't bring it up cos women get so paranoid that there is another woman sharing the same space as her man!! Again, why? If the guy is out dating you and looking to form a relationship with you, then there needs to be a bond of trust and acceptance of lifestyles, surely?

Granted, if she was/is his wife/ex, then that's a bit more awkward :flowerforyou:

ETA: And the main reason I'm so annoyed by this attitude is that I've had a best male friend for 25 years that I have never wanted to have sex with, but every time he meets a new woman I have to put up with her paranoia that I might! Some women really, really dont fancy your bloke!! :laugh:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    It could easily be a case where I would have no say in the development of a household.

Or you could see it as a great place with a special woman that you can share your life with, paying a lot less in rent?

When I was with my LTex we both owned a property (we were both 30yrs). After a while, he moved in with me and we rented his place out. It worked great ! Both financially and practically.

I dont think you should view these things as negatives, try and have an open mind DM, you could be turning down the love of your life cos she owns a condo! :flowerforyou:
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    This topic got derailed pretty quickly. Looking for opinions and advice on living with a friend of the opposite sex....

Im looking to move fairly soon and my good friend and I have tossed around the idea of getting a place since she's moving back here soon. Any feelings aside, she's easily a 9 / 10 in terms of looks. I'm curious what the 'rules' are in a living situation like that... I really don't think either of us would be kosher with the other bringing someone home ... Is it fair to say, hey no ****ing while I'm home? A lot of the apartments I'm looking at have the rooms right next to each other... really no privacy in that regard. Anyways, I'm also worried that any girl that meets her is going to flip because my room mate is quite frankly probably better looking. And since I'm not a bad looking guy, Is assume there would be plenty of guys that'd turn their nose up at her... Maybe I'm over thinking this, but besides dating dynamics, I think the living arrangement would be great both for the friendship and financial reasons.
  • Jarnard
    Jarnard Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It depends on the situation. I know some people who met through craigslist or through friend who were in need of a roommate. I also know a situation where they use to date but are now friends. I dont like that situation, especially when one of them are still in love with the other person. I wouldn't date anyone in that situation.

J
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    This topic got derailed pretty quickly. Looking for opinions and advice on living with a friend of the opposite sex....

Im looking to move fairly soon and my good friend and I have tossed around the idea of getting a place since she's moving back here soon. Any feelings aside, she's easily a 9 / 10 in terms of looks. I'm curious what the 'rules' are in a living situation like that... I really don't think either of us would be kosher with the other bringing someone home ... Is it fair to say, hey no ****ing while I'm home? A lot of the apartments I'm looking at have the rooms right next to each other... really no privacy in that regard. Anyways, I'm also worried that any girl that meets her is going to flip because my room mate is quite frankly probably better looking. And since I'm not a bad looking guy, Is assume there would be plenty of guys that'd turn their nose up at her... Maybe I'm over thinking this, but besides dating dynamics, I think the living arrangement would be great both for the friendship and financial reasons.

"Feelings aside"?

So do you have feelings for her or does she have feelings for you?

Personally I would avoid living in a situation where I am banned from having sex in a room I'm paying to live in. Sure I'll keep it respectful but what is this, Utah?

My own choices aside, there are no rules except the ones you agree to live by. Talk with her about what you want the "rules" to be and go from there. If you bring home a girl and she gets sh*tty because your roommate is hot then maybe she's not a good fit anyway. That's the type of girl that gets mad if you notice another woman's bosom chute. It's gonna happen, don't set yourself up for failure by picking someone that insecure.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options

I think there's a soft spot for each of us, however I don't think either of us foresee dating each other.

Now I'm not saying room mates shouldn't romp in the place they live, I was more meaning that you have to be more respectful in your actions because someone else does live there... For me its just an uncomfortable situation, maybe I'm weird but hearing my friend get nailed would unnerve me a bit. And that goes for either gender.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    That's why bedrooms at the opposite ends of the hallway are the best, it would awkward sharing a wall.

I've heard my old flatmates having sex, but I just chuckle to myself, give them a mental high five in my head then get over it. Unless they are having loud sex all the time, it's not that big of a deal to me.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    That's why bedrooms at the opposite ends of the hallway are the best, it would awkward sharing a wall.

I've heard my old flatmates having sex, but I just chuckle to myself, give them a mental high five in my head then get over it. Unless they are having loud sex all the time, it's not that big of a deal to me.

I had a 2 bedroom apartment before I bought my place and the living room seperated the two bedrooms and bathroms. It was ideal if I had gotten a roommate.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

I think there's a soft spot for each of us, however I don't think either of us foresee dating each other.
    That sounds like it could get awkward. It's very possible for someone to develop stronger feelings for someone they live with, especially if she is smoking hot and always walking around in her underwear. You'd want to be pretty darn sure whomever you live with isn't going to develop feelings for you and vice versa. Also, one would wonder if you are both single and relatively attractive why you've never hooked up or dated.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    f you bring home a girl and she gets --- because your roommate is hot then maybe she's not a good fit anyway. That's the type of girl that gets mad if you notice another woman's bosom chute. It's gonna happen, don't set yourself up for failure by picking someone that insecure.

Actually, the more and more I think about this question....the more I feel a guy would lose points in my book if he were roomating with a hot girl, especially if she were an old friend. It would be one thing if you were both in town on a temporary job or a specialized job (like the military with few women, crazy schedules and unique job demands that civilians don't always understand). He can't find a guy to room with? He has to lust over his hot old friend every day?

Maybe I'm just jaded by the guys at work....and I would still give a guy an initial chance... especially in case I think the roommate is hot, but he doesn't find her attractive. But if he comes home every day to this "hot babe" that he finds sexy/attractive, then unless there's some good explanation then, no, I probably wouldn't continue dating him.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    My house is two girls and two guys. Two straight guys. before this I lived in a townohouse with two gay men. Living with two gay men caused countless problems and all but two guys I dated in the four years I lived there - didnt want to come over much less sleep over.

Where I live now, with Vanessa and Sam & Ryan - I have a feeling its going to be much easier but all in all - i really should point out - if the guy you are seeing really likes you and he's a great guy - he wont give a sht about anything more than - wait can they hear us?
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    f you bring home a girl and she gets --- because your roommate is hot then maybe she's not a good fit anyway. That's the type of girl that gets mad if you notice another woman's bosom chute. It's gonna happen, don't set yourself up for failure by picking someone that insecure.

Actually, the more and more I think about this question....the more I feel a guy would lose points in my book if he were roomating with a hot girl, especially if she were an old friend. It would be one thing if you were both in town on a temporary job or a specialized job (like the military with few women, crazy schedules and unique job demands that civilians don't always understand). He can't find a guy to room with? He has to lust over his hot old friend every day?

There's an awful lot of presumption there. That 1) He lusts over his roommate and 2) He's only living with her because he's lusting over her.

My roommate and I are both good looking people and we tell each other that all the time. I've also known this guy for seven years and our relationship has never been anything but platonic. This is someone that I've gotten into crazy drunk parties with more than almost anyone else in my life and we still haven't had any sexual tension.

Could he find a male roommate, or could I find a female roommate? Sure... but why? We function together fine, we trust each other and support each other in times of need (one time I was short rent and one time he needed a break on utilities and it wasn't a big deal because we know we're gonna make it up), and we have a blast living together. Should we just dismiss all that because our genitalia are different?

Atyas, The problem I have with your situation is that in your post it seems like you like this girl, but for whatever reason it hasn't happened. I'm also getting the vibe that you wouldn't be super opposed if she did come out of the bathroom naked and said "let's *kitten*". I could be completely off base here, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but be completely honest with yourself - don't put yourself in a situation like that with a girl that you have feelings for, or that has feelings like that for you. Things could get messy.

My roommate has a regular girlfriend and most of the time I don't hear them get down and dirty, but when I do I just turn up the TV, or play some music, or put in headphones. It doesn't last long or often enough for it to be a problem and our bedrooms do share a wall.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    Atyas, The problem I have with your situation is that in your post it seems like you like this girl, but for whatever reason it hasn't happened.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. His post doesn't read like someone who looks good but has no interest in (which is how you write about your roommate). His post reads to me like he would be hoping one day she would come to like him *that way.*

I wouldn't date a guy like that. When he's home, rather than thinking of relationship with *me* he'd be distracted by possible relationship with *her* even if it's never gonna happen. I can't compete with fantasy, and wouldn't waste my time trying.
    we still haven't had any sexual tension.
    Two different scenarios.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    Atyas, The problem I have with your situation is that in your post it seems like you like this girl, but for whatever reason it hasn't happened.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. His post doesn't read like someone who looks good but has no interest in (which is how you write about your roommate). His post reads to me like he would be hoping one day she would come to like him *that way.*

I wouldn't date a guy like that. When he's home, rather than thinking of relationship with *me* he'd be distracted by possible relationship with *her* even if it's never gonna happen. I can't compete with fantasy, and wouldn't waste my time trying.

I understand that exactly, but I wouldn't make that assumption simply by learning he has a female roommate, or even meeting her and seeing that she is hot.

Heck, I'm the type of gal that sees another good looking lady then leans in and goes "Dude. She is FINE."

But if he makes the impression that he'd rather be with her that's where I'd draw the line.

However that is completely different than judging someone simply because they have a hot female roommate, which is my point all along.